H4 headlight bulb - BMW G310R Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

H4 headlight bulb

Would anyone recommend a change from the ordinary H4 headlight bulb supplied with my bike, to an LED version? I've seen plenty on Amazon, but the owners manual suggests that only an authorised BMW part can be used. The rear of the bike already has LED stop/brake lights.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:08 AM

The main issue with LED headlights is the heat generated.
If you are getting one, make sure it has a way of dispensing the heat away from the base of the bulb. Also, as with any replacement bulb, check it doesn't heat the lens up more than normal too.
LiquidCool likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Didn't know about the heat problem with LED bulbs. Thought it was more of a halogen bulb kind of problem. What do you suggest for dispensing heat?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM

The more reliable LED headlight bulbs have "tassels" (for want of a better word) of fibers to dispense the heat. Other use a heat sink arrangement, simmilar to that found on other electrical components.

Heat is only really an issue for high output LEDs. Headlight bulbs usually always fall into that category.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM

Some even have a fan attached to the base of the LED for heating as well, I have a few sets of those on the cars and suvs.

It's something you can't really get away from, even HID systems generate a lot of heat. Best thing to do is spend the money on quality LED bulbs you know you'll be alright.
Arwen likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 AM

If you are just wanting a headlight that is "whiter" have a look at the Orsam Night racer and various other versions of "whiter" H4 bulbs.

In the following image is my MSX, standard H4 bulb on the left, Bosch "Plus 90" H4 60/55W on the right. It is not as white as the LEDs in the indicators, but it is a vast improvement on the standard bulb!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 PM

One important thing to add is that pictures often don't give that great of an idea of colors. So that whiter white, might be even whiter in person.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I hadn't considered the heat issue. The standard bulb doesn't look that bright, so I'll do a bit more research before changing.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Research is always the best thing to do before buying lights. It's not always the most expensive bulbs that are the best ones to go with. For example, OPT 7 bulbs are great and all but they're really over-hyped and you can get cheaper bulbs that provide the same quality and output
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:56 AM

How hard is it to replace the bulb? Or do you have to disassemble the whole headlight unit to get at the bulb?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page