Handlebars And Body Position - BMW G310R Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Handlebars And Body Position

This is probably nothing new to experienced riders, but it's a good piece of information for those who are new to the riding scene and aren't too aware of how their upper body should be positions.

Cruiser has a great article on how your wrists, elbows, shoulders, trapezius and neck are vulnerable to injury if you don't have handlebars suited for your body.

Handlebars - Body Position | Motorcycle Cruiser

the gist of it:

Quote:
1 My wrists shouldn't twist and should stay as straight as possible in relation to the forearm.
2 Elbows should point down as much as possible and hang rather than be held up.
3 Shoulders need to be relaxed and dropped rather than suspended or flexed while riding.
4 My reach should be reduced so I don't roll or lift my shoulders to grab the handlebar.
5 I should steer with my arms, not my neck, shoulders or back.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM

Interesting article. It is one reason I like using Motorcycle Ergonomics to envisage myself on possible "new to me" bikes.

Although a from a relatively small sample size, I've found I like my "lean angle" to be less than 15° or over 24°. I suspect I prefer the less than 15° lean because I am short, so a shorter lean means I am not stretching to the bars. The less lean also seems to apply to the more "upright" bikes I have tried.
The over 24° I suspect is because on these bikes, I am more crouched anyways (hips and knees more bent) so reaching forward is actually more comfortable.
Bikes in between I do like riding, however looking back, it is these bikes that I get off and instantly feel the need to rub my neck/shoulders to loosen them up a bit!

I'll certainly pay a bit more attention to the position of my hands on the bars in future too, might try rotating the bars a little and see if that helps!
The G310's are looking promising from these figures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seats.jpg (387.5 KB, 22 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
The G310's are looking promising from these figures!
Especially the GS! Thanks for posting that, Arwen.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM

You're welcome :-)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM

I think it should be easy to keep your wrists straight if you make small adjustments to the lever and handle positions, but there's only so much you can do when it comes to shoulders on a sport bike right? Good thing the G310R has such a neutral seating position compared to t a lot of other bikes. Actually closest to the Grom from the looks of your chart.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidCool View Post
I think it should be easy to keep your wrists straight if you make small adjustments to the lever and handle positions, but there's only so much you can do when it comes to shoulders on a sport bike right? Good thing the G310R has such a neutral seating position compared to t a lot of other bikes. Actually closest to the Grom from the looks of your chart.
I think it's a lot closer to the F800 GT than the Grom
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

They're all pretty upright except for the Ducati and Yamaha. But even then you aren't slouched that far forward. Is anyone thinking of switching out the handlebar for a more relaxed arm positions?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 AM

I won't know until I've had the chance to ride the bike (GS) for a while. But I suspect I'll be adding some bar risers to allow me to stand on the pegs while riding in the dirt. I'll probably add some wider pegs as well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 AM

I'd most likely stick with stock until I known what I need in the g310gs, but wider pegs does sound great since my feet will have more space to rest on and shift around.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Aside from the wrist and shoulders, the elbow area is something I may need to improve on if the stock set makes me extend them outwards. Extending a bit seems normal to me on sport bikes, but the same shouldn't apply to the G310 lineup.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page