BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Top-end growl!

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Geoff PD 
#1 ·
I’m rather concerned about a REALLY loud noise which is heard in any gear between about 5200 and 6000rpm . It’s almost certainly related to the air-intake, but it almost sounds like a thick piece of plastic rattling inside a sealed box!!! The sound builds up gradually between 2k & 5k rpm and then amplifies significantly up to 6k before it then rapidly diminishes (not that I rev it very often beyond 7k!)
It’s really ruining my enjoyment of the bike, particularly when your in traffic and the noise is EXACTLY at the ref spot where you may overtake someone and change up a gear. It’s quite frankly ‘embarrassing’.
Any ideas ? Anyone hear something similar?
The bike has done 4K km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Is this noise, which is directly related to engine revs under load or not, accelerating or decelerating, possibly caused by some part of the airbox/snorkle assembly (because I’ve seen an exposed picture and there are LOTS of parts)?
I simple refuse to believe that NOBODY has heard this noise if it’s ‘normal’ for the bike!
It’s embarrassing in traffic, and it’s ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise fine machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.