G310r vs z400 abs (not ninja) - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

G310r vs z400 abs (not ninja)

I’ve been trying to decide between the bmw and the kawasaki. Had anybody considered the z400? Had anyone considered the z400 and if so, why did you choose the bmw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:32 PM

Here are my thoughts below.

https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum...html#post59039

I chose the G310R because I already had another bike for basic trans and wanted something different (single), brand recognition, warranty and because it looked better. Would have probably gone with the Z400 if I only had choice of one bike to do it all (long trips on highway, Jap reliability).

Last edited by HPP8140; 09-15-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

That’s a lot fo good information. When people refer to back roads or city streets, what exactly are they referring to? That is, what speed, type of terrain, etc? For example, just leaving the development where I live, there is a main road with a lot of traffic. The speed limit is 45 except for the school zone. In order to get to any back roads, I’d have to travel other roads like that to get there-go through a lot of traffic lights and congested intersections with speeds ranging from 35-50. We have no canyons or truly open roads but there are some backroads through some rural areas.
So, if I remained in this environment and didn’t venture out onto the highway...? BMW or Z400 abs? Also, for a beginner, which might be easier to handle given these types of conditions?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:04 PM

A backroad is a secondary type of road, which is mainly one/two-laned roads off of larger roads such as parkways/highways. Speeds are usually, well, lower than highways

Sounds like the bike will be used as a recreational vehicle, then the G310R will be a good fit. Both will excel, but I believe the seat height and shape of the Z400 is easier to touch the ground. Still, I feel like the Z400 is easier to ride for a beginner....it's hard to explain to a new rider, but you don't have to worry so much about clutch control, proper gear selection, and maintaining momentum because of the more flexible engine characteristics.

Just go with what you like best, if you don't like the looks, you won't be happy with it. Best to just take the Motorcycle safety course, get your license and go test ride both.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Aesthetically, I like the bmw. However, I have heard and read about the z400, what you stated. At this point, my main concern is getting comfortable with riding a motorcycle and being as safe as possible. Aside from these two bikes, the only other consideration would be the suzuki tu250 but I really wanted abs. I would probably have the seat shaved on the bmw because the way the seat flares out does make it difficult difficult to touch the ground with both feet. I don’t know if I’d go as far as lowering or not, though. I also don’t know, if I did shave some off the sides of the seat, if it would still conform to the shape of the bike.

Last edited by 1Shortrider; 09-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page