G 310 R Road Test With VisorDown - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

G 310 R Road Test With VisorDown

Reading about the G 310 Rs specs is one thing, but riding it around local streets is another matter and VisorDown had the chance to do just that in the UK.

BMWs first foray into the sub-500cc motorcycle world is powered by a 313cc single-cylinder 4-stroke engine producing 34hp. That number may not seem that impressive to some, but contributor Steve Farrell found it to be lively with reasonable pull in fourth gear at speeds as low as 30mph. Though he did find it lacking between 8,000rpm and 10,000rpm, a range on the power band that the G 310 R does not like being in.

But the G 310 Rs handling should make up for it thanks to a short wheelbase of 1,374mm and light weight of 158.5kg. Shift the bars a little and the chassis is more than happy to respond. Steve finds that it turns more readily than Theresa May. Although thankfully with more stability. Suspension isnt too bad either with KYB 41mm upside-down forks soaking up hard braking and pre-load adjustable shock. In fact, he thinks the suspension setup may be too sporty for its targeted market.

Theres plenty to like on the G 310 R; a digital dash displaying everything you need, disc lock perfectly fitted under the seat, standard ABS and of course its body styling reminiscent of the S1000R.
Glencoeman and cfaircraft like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:11 AM

The brakes may not be Brembo, but they should still be fine for a g310r and motorcycles stop faster than cars do because of its light weight. Factory brakes should be more than enough for new riders until they're worn down. Worse case scenario, change out the brake pads for cheap and better bite.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidCool View Post
The brakes may not be Brembo, but they should still be fine for a g310r and motorcycles stop faster than cars do because of its light weight. Factory brakes should be more than enough for new riders until they're worn down. Worse case scenario, change out the brake pads for cheap and better bite.
Correct. I noticed a lot of people go for EBC's which in this case might be worth trying, just forget about it if you plan to ride anywhere but mostly dry conditions. I'm a city slicker.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Garage
question on the gearing, I have heard a lot the the 310r is low geared, plenty of torque " bike can start off in second easily", the question is since I will have hiway riding as well as city, what are your thoughts on going up a tooth in front sprocket from 16 to a 17? to give it a bit taller gearing?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 AM

I'm pretty new to motorcycles so I'm not entirely sure how gearing would work, but if it'll make the gears longer, that should work out better for you in the city theoretically?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:27 PM

Garage
I will going up a tooth in front sprocket when i find one who sell
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
why not wait until you need to get the chain and sprockets replaced?
Boer likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
why not wait until you need to get the chain and sprockets replaced?
Always helps to make it easier, otherwise buy extra beer and keep it on hand if you do your own work
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
At LiquidCool
BYBRE are Brembo brakes. It is just there Small to Medium displacement motorcycle and scooters division. I can't put a direct link to brembo's website but if you look at their brands it shows them clearly.
As to other comments, I too will most likely replace the primary front sprocket with 1 tooth larger when they are available. Unfortunately I live in USA on the west coast and most likely wont see my G310 GS until end of this year or first of next year. I put a deposit on one so hopefully I will get it as soon they they are shipped here.
LiquidCool and bmwrider like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM

Always thought Brembo was dependent on the size of the bike didn't know they offer different ones depending on the displacement. But I don't doubt they'll still cost a lot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page