BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

gearing? sprockets

52K views 90 replies 34 participants last post by  TeamGranger 
#1 ·
finally received wifes new g310r, nice overall bike, but def needs a little help, I am looking to change either front or rear sprocket, it needs more travel/top end, does anyone have anyplace that is selling sprockets yet, I haven't been able to find anything yet, We plan to replace the exhaust to recoup some of the lost torque with the sprocket gearing change, anything would help........thanks

#2 ·
Not much luck so far...
The BMW official parts only offer standard gearing as replacement, no optional sizes.
And I did not find any aftermarket selling them yet.
As for exhaust: changing for an Akrapovic for example would let you gain a theorical 1.1 Nm of Torque (and let you loose a real $600). Poor figures to justify the investment it seems... :(

#3 ·
did some research so far theoretical increase with exhaust is 2.7 with a reduction in weight, minor but on a small bike def noticeable and through revzilla only runs $490.00 and they have price matching and ive found em for less so for that cost and if it helps.....after ive regeared it then worth it, the bike def needs the regeared, on US hiways it would always be running near redline just to keep up,

#5 ·
Back on topic of sprockets so far I've just found 1 company offering something. It's an italian brand called Chiaravalli and at least one dealer offers them online:
https://www.redracingparts.com/engl...iaravalliFrontRearSprockets/bmw/G310R2015.php

Unfortunately no offering for front sprockets. So far it seems they offer 39,43,44,45,47,49 T REAR sprockets. So as you can see all of these (except the 39T) would improve the bottom end (quicker acceleration but slower top speed - not what you are aiming for. And the 39T would probably not have a big impact...)

Will post other findings as it goes..

#15 ·
Back on topic of sprockets so far I've just found 1 company offering something. It's an italian brand called Chiaravalli and at least one dealer offers them online:
https://www.redracingparts.com/engl...iaravalliFrontRearSprockets/bmw/G310R2015.php

Will post other findings as it goes..
has anyone bought any parts from redracingparts, particularly sprockets?their products look too good to be true. i mean, how it is possible to sell a part (rear sprocket) for half the price (~25 euros) and also offer free shipping?
i found another website selling chiaravalli sprockets that cost about the double (which makes sense) :
Eurobike - Chiaravalli Sprockets
i wonder if it's a fraud site...

G
#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Remus Hypercone Black Stainless $750US

Looks and sounds GREAT. I really like the Akro noise, but for just a little more I LOVE what the Remus is. Saving up as I type!!!

In US, there are so many louder and illegal things out there. As long as you aren't doing anything stupid you won't get stopped or bothered by the cops.

On a GS, but now available in US for the R:

#10 ·
looked at the remus, again on their website only applicable to the 2017, model, don't know if there is a diff, and akropovic looks better to me, I had a remus system on my r1100s, and hated it, the only thing it did was make obnoxious noise, no better performance, I removed and sold it off

#21 ·
Supersprox are a great product, I've used them on pretty much all my [rally] bikes in the past.

for info. the PCD of the G310R sprocket would appear to be the same as the F650GS (6-bolt, 160mm), so other brands that offer a range of rear sprockets for that bike should also fit the 310.

I've just ordered a 43T JT sprocket from here in the UK (with that number of teeth it's actually listed for an Aprilia Pegaso 600 92-93 model, not the F650GS which has 47T as standard) and will let you know how I get on next week when I'm reunited with my bike...

Jenny x

#24 · (Edited)
If anyone is interested, currently I’ve been trailing a 43T rear sprocket (so similar to taking 1T off the front) in Colorado this week, and while you certainly can feel the difference at the top end (typically you’ve raised the revs around 500rpm at 60-70mph in 6th gear, so rather than seeing 70mph at 7000rpm, you’re only getting around 65mph at 7000rpm now, and you need 7500rpm for 70mph...), at slower and off-road speeds, the lack of bottom end torque is still aparent, although not quite as bad as it was running the stock 16/40 gearing...

In that regard, I get the feeling that the 16T front sprocket is actually exacerbating the low bottom-end torque issue, in that the engine struggles to spin up the larger front sprocket and get the transmission moving quickly, before it cough stalls and/or you need to slip the clutch.

I can also confirm you do need to add a couple more links to the chain if you’re running the 43T rear, whereas you’ll get away with keeping the OEM chain if you drop a tooth on the front of course.

So personally speaking I think this bike would do best with 15/41 - in fact ideally you’d actually want 15/43 for serious off-road stuff, but then you really would be very limited at highway speeds.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. The good news is that the speedo is still accurate - so it must take it’s reading off the wheel speed (ABS sensor), rather than the gearbox.

#29 ·
Hi Music' - dropping to 15T from 16T on the front basically reduces your top speed by around 5mph for a given RPM in top gear - ie. if you were cruising at 70 before, you'd now be doing around 65mph at the same revs...

That said, I've still seen 84mph on my bike with the 15T front, you're just revving it about 500rpm higher than before.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

#41 · (Edited)
17 Tooth fitted

Just fitted the 17 tooth front.
16 I took off not happy about the wear only 1600 miles only on one side , misalignment or that play in the rear sprocket carrier ?
Not ridden it yet very windy here at the moment.

Also not happy with the rear spindle holder block on the rear right seems the spindle end rotates when tightening the spindle up (100 nm) and digging into the alloy.

Attachments

#42 ·
Britmech, you say you have obtained a 17T front sprocket. Can I ask where you obtained it from? I went to my local BMW Motorad dealer over the weekend to order one and was (politely) told that that you cannot order one in this country as it is "for overseas use only". Any help/ information would be appreciated
Cheers Ian

#43 · (Edited)
Just ordered the part from my local BMW dealer (Wollaston, Northampton 01604 232000)

PT No 3382396375

Speak to Jack in parts he ordered it no problem .(about a week it took give or take) he is very helpful.

Say you were recommended by the guy who bought one from them ( he might remember me )

Let me know how you get on.

Ian650 (did you have a 650 ?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.