Finding neutral (and a little more) - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Finding neutral (and a little more)

One of the most common comments from people here is that it is slightly sticky shifting to neutral, and that it definitely seems easier going in from 2nd than from 1st.

Heck, this got me thinking back to my younger days and bikes I had - obviously we didn't have gear position indicators back then, so the only way of actually knowing for sure that you were in neutral was by gently letting the clutch out a bit. When I was learning to ride, my first bike was a BSA C15 (a 250 cc single), and I remember struggling terribly finding neutral on that - it always took many, many attempts.
A Honda CB77E that I had was also tricky, something to do with the quite floppy rear set linkages.
But Royal Enfield had a neutral finder on their 4 speed Albion gearboxes - there was an extra lever on the side (see photo) that theoretically enabled you to engage neutral from whatever gear you were currently in, very clever - you just gave it a quick dab with your foot and hey presto, neutral! Or 1st, as sometimes seemed to happen on the 350 Bullet I had.

So back to now, and the G310R - yep, happens on mine too, neutral selection is slightly sticky. If I've stopped in 1st, if it does end up going up to 2nd instead, neutral is an easy "snick" down from there - so at the most, two shifts. But given my experiences, you'll understand perhaps why I think that is just perfectly OK!

Cheers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2249  

Last edited by NZWestie; 10-27-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:24 PM

My son's G310R has something of the opposite problem - it WANTS to be in reverse. I've ridden it a few times, and when downshifting to come to a stop, you'll downshift all the way to first...only to find after stopping that you're actually in neutral. Happened to me a number of times; if I keep an eye on the shift indicator I can watch it go down into first...and then pop back into neutral. He rode it for the first time today (after getting his license yesterday) and had the same issue. Neither my R1200R nor R1200RT ever did that - when you kick it down to first, it stays in first. Will talk to the dealer tomorrow.

2014 R1200R, 2016 R1200RT (Gone but not forgotten); 1971 R75/5; 2018 G310R
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 07:11 PM

Garage
I took a direct access course on a F700GS with BMW rider training and neutral was found only twice during the weeks course - usually had to turn the bike off then on again to find neutral which proved interesting when out on the road in stop start traffic. Finding it on my 310 is a doddle compared to that, but as the first post says, itís easier from 2nd than from 1st, but with a gentle left foot it can be found from 1st - just
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 07:18 AM

Yip agree about locating `N` ive found after 18oo miles it gets easier if I find myself in 1st at the lights maybe the box is getting more user friendly !! its so much smaller `snick` from 1st than from 2nd, you get used to it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Hi Sub, don't think I would need 1st to come to a stop, but that's me, I find on the read out sometimes shows 3 dots as if its a false `N` just touch lever again and shows the gear I'm in, maybe me to gentle on the lever, just interest do you `blip` the throttle going down the box ? some riders I know just pull in the clutch and drop gears, to me its same as when my dad taught me to drive he always had me `double de clutch` not needed in modern box`s.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:38 AM

first ride a harley for a while
than buy a g310 and the problem is solved
because harley is the difficults neutral gearbox of mankind
drove harleys for 20years
and finding neutral is peace off cake on the gs
but harleys are gone and now i have to survive on a g310

Last edited by tonnetje; 10-28-2017 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Angiedave, no, you're right, I don't downshift to 1st for the purpose of stopping - it's a matter of getting set up to go again after stopping.

Just noticed in my original post I said it wants to be in reverse...who knows what I was thinking when I typed that...obviously meant neutral.

As he gets more miles on the bike he's finding the transmission is behaving better...not so much of an issue.

2014 R1200R, 2016 R1200RT (Gone but not forgotten); 1971 R75/5; 2018 G310R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page