Clattering noise from engine - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Clattering noise from engine

Hi folks, I have just completed 1000 km on my GS so I'm just about to take it in for the first service. Ever since the bike was new I felt that the engine didn't sound right in that there is a lot of mechanical noise (similar to noisy tappets) and thought that it would quieten down once run in. The noise has remained the same so I just wondered if this was normal for the BMW 310 engine or is mine is a lemon / badly adjusted. I know the engine has been described as sounding like a lawnmower when idling- what do others think? Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:41 AM

They do have a distinctive one cylinder sound.
Have you heard another 310 running?
Hard to say if it's a problem as sound is a subjective topic.
The dealer can help you more than anyone here, get it to them and see.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickster View Post
They do have a distinctive one cylinder sound.
Have you heard another 310 running?
Hard to say if it's a problem as sound is a subjective topic.
The dealer can help you more than anyone here, get it to them and see.
Yes, I will check with them when doing the break in service. I should be able to listen to their demo bike to compare...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Man View Post
the engine has been described as sounding like a lawnmower when idling - what do others think? Thank you,
depends on the lawn mower... definitely noisier than a goat...

I agree the engine does have a distinct gentle rattling sound at idle and low engine speeds, but all this goes away when up to normal rpm's and the bike just sounds sweet. I've nearly got 5000 km on the clock, engine is running sweeter all the time.

See what your dealer says, and yes, compare with another if you can for peace of mind.
Medicine Man likes this.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:15 PM

Its normal
Otherwise listen to a twincam harley its sounds worser than the 310 serie when hot hahahaha
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:32 PM

Mine clatters too, like a compressor...

After 800 miles I'm getting used to it and almost liking it.

When I go to the vintage racing at Willow Springs I like the sound of the big singles as they come around the corner and down the straight, in my mind my 310 sounds like them.

There is a lot to like about this bike.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've just returned from my 1000 km service at the dealership and they confirmed the noise is typical - however it has quietened down with the fresh oil. I think the 30 degree temperatures here plus the extra heat from breaking in may have thinned the original oil. I am tempted to replace the oil more frequently than the 10,000 km service intervals plus I have always used fully synthetic oil in my previous bikes.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Man View Post
I've just returned from my 1000 km service at the dealership and they confirmed the noise is typical - however it has quietened down with the fresh oil. I think the 30 degree temperatures here plus the extra heat from breaking in may have thinned the original oil. I am tempted to replace the oil more frequently than the 10,000 km service intervals plus I have always used fully synthetic oil in my previous bikes.
In my opinion, every 3000-5000km max, oil and filter. Oil is like the blood in our veins, keep it clean and fresh.
As far as synthetics, I prefer to break in on regular Dino oil then go synthetic, but while under warranty, do as the
manufactuers recommend.
Type of oil and change frequency is the hottest topic on any forum.
Medicine Man likes this.

2018 Black 310GS
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:09 PM

Hello Tickster!

I mostly agree with you.

You should always change the filter on the 1,000 km service. You are right on with the 3,000 to 5000 km oil change interval after the first service, because the oil will lose viscosity over the kilometers and you do not want to be running the last few thousand km in hot weather with oil that has thinned out too much. But there is no reason that you should not be safe replacing the filter at 6,000 to 10,000 km (every second oil change). A side benefit of keeping the oil fresh is that the shifting will improve and not be as clunky. Keep that oil fresh and your bike will be running much better over its lifetime!

I am guessing that BMW installs the standard Advantec 15W50 at the factory but I really do not know. Whatever is in there in the beginning is OK I am sure. I do not think that you need to need to worry about using a conventional break-in oil. Just use a good 15W50 oil such as the BMW brand or the Motul 5100 or other 15W50 MA2 oil.

The important thing on break-in is to get the rings properly bedded in. With the Nikasil cylinder and modern coated piston rings, this is not the big issue that it used to be. Most of the breaking in takes place in the first 40 or so km. This is why it is important to constantly change your speed in this mileage. Do not lug the engine with excessive throttle at low RPM! But it is good to smoothly ( Do not use full throttle!) run the machine up through the gears from relatively low RPM to 6000 RPM or so and then back off and let the bike slow down with engine braking. This sucks a little bit of oil up past the rings to maintain the oil film and also cool the ring surface a bit. Again, do not lug the engine. After the bike slows down, go through the cycle again. Again, do not use full throttle. The rings will load just fine with half throttle or so. Combustion pressure presses the rings out against the cylinder and insures that they mate properly to the cylinder bore. Five or ten km of this speed up and back down cycle should accomplish the majority of the break-in. If you just take the bike out off of the show room floor and run it at low speed, just babying the throttle, you may end up with an engine that will use a little oil between oil changes forever and the oil will also get dirty faster with carbon from combustion as the rings do not seal well, but this is not really very likely with the Nikasil and new technology piston rings .This was more of a problem with old style cast iron cylinders and un-coated iron rings.

Willy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM

Willy,
I agree, but my first oil and filter change will happen at the 200-300km mark,followed by the 1000km service, then 3000-5000km.
Currently it sits in the garage in winter storage mode, with 2 kilometres on it after being delivered via trailer
in November. Want to talk about anticipation?
For the price of the oil and filter and the 20 minutes it takes me do, keeping it fresh is the way I like it.

2018 Black 310GS

Last edited by Tickster; 01-30-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page