Taking longer than expected to start - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Taking longer than expected to start

Last week I have had a minor issue with the starter. It usually starts instantly when I press the ignition button, but lately it has been taking 1-1.5sec longer than usual to fire up. No misfires and the climate is still very warm. When it fires up it starts at very low RPM as if struggling. Is it anything to worry about or should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
It does sound like there is something wrong; could be many things. Best would be to have a BMW dealer read the ECU for fault codes. Short of that, you might try pouring some injector cleaner into the fuel, and refueling at a different pump with the highest octane gas they have, see if that makes a difference. Another cheap and easy check is to put in a new spark plug.
Ligkonakos and mtwashington like this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 05:09 PM

Check that the battery connections are tight- always look for the simple solutions first.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:46 AM

Garage
Are you following the starting procedure thats dictated in the owners manual? Just because its warm temp you still need to use the same procedure as when the temp is cold imo
Ligkonakos likes this.

2018 G310R Pearl White Metallic
1998 H/D Ultra Classic
1983 Honda VF750 Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F
1985 Honda VF1000R
1989 Yamaha YSR50
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just to clarify, you are talking about the electrical starter motor taking longer to start after the button has been pressed, not the overall length to get the motor started. Check your voltage, otherwise there may be something wrong with your starter motor. Keep an eye on it, see if it changes, maybe notify your dealer, see what they say and possibly get them to get a replacement on stock should yours need replacing the next time you go in for a service.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Checked the bike thoroughly this morning before going to work, there was a battery cable that seemed to me a bit loose and tightened it. It fired up like normal, maybe that was it but I will have it in mind for the rest of the week until the gas tank dries out and I refill it with 100-octane fuel. If that doesn't do it, I will probably go on to switch out the spark plugs and afterwards check the battery with a voltmeter. Trying to exhaust as many options as possible before having to travel off the island to the dealer as there are many financial and logistics challenges involved.

Thanks for the replies.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Do not waste your money on 100 octane fuel it will make no difference nor solve your problem, it will just cost you more to fill up.
mtwashington likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazingDog View Post
Do not waste your money on 100 octane fuel it will make no difference nor solve your problem, it will just cost you more to fill up.
I know, it's just that this is Greece and it is known for gas stations to fill inflate their gas with various liquids to increase their volume while also lowering its quality. 100-octane is just a small step into avoiding that and making sure it's not the gas that's the problem; a one time thing for troubleshooting.

** Quick Update ** I let it dry and then refilled it, I didn't see any difference; afterwards I left it for 2 days in the courtyard to see if there's any discharge issue or something else regarding the battery. I used my car in the meantime and after I tried to turn on the bike today it misfired 3 times, which on the 4th it barely turned on while I was using the throttle as well. I switched it off after commuting halfway to work and turning it on again and it fired instantly. I have arranged to go to the local automotive electrician shop. He said it's most probably the battery but will check out all cases. I called the dealer afterwards to let him know, he said he would have been able to cover it in the warranty, however I would need to be up there at the dealer. I told him about the financial/logistics inconvenience and he said there should be no problem with voiding the warranty, just that I will have to cover the expenses of a new battery (if that's the case) which seems fair.

I will update further tomorrow.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
It does start to sound like it is the battery or battery connections. The shop should also check the charging voltage. Good luck with the repair, I suppose the BMW Roadside Assistance is not included in your warranty because of where you live?

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650

Last edited by Cees Klumper; 09-10-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 02:34 PM

I checked my battery connections the day I purchased my GS after I brought it home. They were a little loose. I have yet to purchase a vehicle of any kind & found the battery connections tight. This is a worthwhile (& very easy) check...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page