Max Load - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By trevgrif22

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Max Load

Hi there
Does anyone can tell me, what is the maximum weight supported by the original top case rack of the GS310GS? I need to put on her a top box that can hold around 10/20kgs, (33to44pounds) and my question is if the rack supports that weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM

The engineers always grossly underestimate the weight allowed - I believe it’s more of a liability issue. Per the manual, they only allow 3 kilos (7 lbs) of weight. Here’s a screenshot from the manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5FDFDB3A-49C3-4DBC-903F-D312C39BFDA6_1537800175474.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	11356  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
The engineers always grossly underestimate the weight allowed - I believe itís more of a liability issue. Per the manual, they only allow 3 kilos (7 lbs) of weight. Hereís a screenshot from the manual...
3kgs?!?!
Isn't it a little bit too low?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 AM

Exactly. That’s what the manual shows though. Personally, I try to keep less than 25 lbs in the topcase...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Exactly. Thatís what the manual shows though. Personally, I try to keep less than 25 lbs in the topcase...
Do you think that Givi's EA119BK half on the rack half on the passenger seat will be ok?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Since the weight is being partially distributed to the passenger seat, that should help a lot so I don’t see why not. But, I’m not the design engineer for this bike & that is strictly my opinion so take that for what it’s worth... I would try to pack such that the heaviest items are on the passenger seat.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Since the weight is being partially distributed to the passenger seat, that should help a lot so I donít see why not. But, Iím not the design engineer for this bike & that is strictly my opinion so take that for what itís worth... I would try to pack such that the heaviest items are on the passenger seat.
My work (consists on collecting and delivering home clothing, sheets and towels). Usually it is an IKEA (blue bag) full of clothing, and it is my intention to use the bike to do that.. the size of the bag is similar to the earlier mentioned givi's and i'll use it like i said, partially on passengers seat, part in rack hold by some straps..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 PM

Original BMW Motorrad accessories listed in the 310 GS brochure include the 30 litre Standard Top Box - Top box, 30 l - The waterproof top box has a capacity of 30 litres and a maximum load of 5 kg. This then contradicts their 3 kg limit!

Personally, I do sometimes exceed 5 kgs when riding home with some groceries in the back at normal city speeds (60 km/h). When I'm on a long ride on gravel the only thing in the top box is my first aid kit. The purpose of carrying the top box on such a ride is to put my helmet and tank bag in when I stop for a break along the way. My luggage is in a 38 litre Oxford Tail bag strapped down on the passenger seat.
Nhokas likes this.

BMW G310R
BMW G310GS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page