40mm Lowering Kit a G310R - Page 4 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:14 AM

Silly question..!!! can you just not fit a shorter rear spring and just drop the fork tubes slightly to maintain suitable balance ?? or am I missing something !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:12 AM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Pentecost View Post
Silly question..!!! can you just not fit a shorter rear spring and just drop the fork tubes slightly to maintain suitable balance ?? or am I missing something !!!
Slightly silly yes... if you think about it, if you simply fit a shorter spring, if the shock body fully extends (going over a pothole for example) the space between the two spring seats will be longer than the spring - and in the case of the shock particularly, the danger is the spring will unseat [and not reseat properly], or worse, the spring seat at the eyelet end will become disconnected/fall out and the shock effectively collapse.

Basically if you want to shorten a spring, you also have to shorten the stroke length of the damper rod by the corresponding amount... some goes for when you go in the other direction - fitting a longer spring won't give you more travel, unless you also increase the stroke of the damper rod the same amount.

Jx
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 AM

Oh, yes I see what you are saying....I was just trying to work things out.....as being shorter in inside leg !!! I can sit on the seat with both feet down no problem, but I thought it might be more beneficial.
to have the bike slightly lower to make it easier to **** your leg over !!
Also I read it is better to have a slightly lower bike for better road handling (ie lower centre of gravity)
They do that lowering device about 150 > that claims to lower the bike but I cannot see how it works and if that is all that is required ??
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM

Hi Alan, I have the Metisse 40mm lowering kit fitted to my GS. Basically it shortens the rear suspension unit. The front of the bike is lowered as you describe by sliding the fork tubes up.
Mine is lowered front and back by about an inch. Ride and handling are unchanged.

Red G310GS
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:21 PM

Hi, Where did you get that from ?? did you do it yourself ? how much did you lower the front tubes....Interested...Thx
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 AM

Hi Alan,

I bought direct from Metisse, website is Metisse.de, dial in your bike at the selector in top left corner.

I had my fav. bike shop guy fit the kit as I don’t have much of a workshop, it didn’t take more than an hour I think.

As the kit lowers 40mm, I actually dialled the rear suspension back up 4 clicks to make the lowering balanced front and rear.

I had already had the front of my GS lowered about 20mm as described, that’s about as far as it easily goes without handlebar risers. The R may be different. It rode fine like that, actually sharpened up the steering a bit with the reduced rake.

Red G310GS
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:54 AM

Technically speaking, lowering the bike does reduce cornering lean angle as footpegs are closer to the ground, but I don’t ride aggressively enough for it to make a difference.

Red G310GS
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Hi, Still looking at the best way to lower the bike, many different views on this topic.
I found these:
https://www.forsakenmotorsports.com/...0-lowering-kit.
Has anyone tried them yet ?? or similar and was it difficult to carry out the work.
Thanks
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:21 PM

Since I posted the tools and items I used to lower the G310R, I have returned to its factory height last weekend. My daughter is now tall enough to not need the bike lowered. The only detriment we have found with the lowering is the side stand stability, causing one tip-over to the right hand side.

The only handling difference in the 8000 miles put on the lowering link is the lean angle. In either position, the bike is more than capable, with the stock tires, of leaning over far enough to fold the foot pegs upward.

Give a man a milling machine, a lathe, and other dangerous tools and he shall create the greatest pile of useless chips ever conceived.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

I have this on my bike. It's perfect.
https://sjbmw.stores.dealerspike.com...x?zpid=7298815

I raised the front forks all the way up to balance the bike.

I'm not compromising anything on the street.
It handles better than my Yamaha FZ-07 because it is so much lighter than the FZ07.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page