Side-stand switch bypass/removal & switched Aux power - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
JMo

Side-stand switch bypass/removal & switched Aux power

A little community service today...

If anyone is interested in how easy it is to access the air-box/filter, and or remove the front bodywork of the bike, it's not... dozens of sodding bolts (although most are the same size/shape at least) to get all the bitty panels off - and you do need to remove the tank cover and grey side panels as one piece to get the air-box:

Once the panels are off, you can remove the snorkel pretty easily - just two clips on the top and it pivots forward to access the paper filer element inside:

The coolant bottle is much easier to access with the tank/side covers off too, although the handbook does say you can top it up with the fairing in place...

A handy hint that some of you may wish to incorporate, is to remove the side-stand cut-out switch - that way it cannot fail at an inopportune moment (of if it does, at least you'll know which wires to join together to bypass it):

photo. basically join these two: the black/green and yellow/blue wires - leaving the red/green wire free.

photo. with these two wires joined together, the bike will start and run in gear, even with the side-stand switch disconnected, and with no warning light on the dash - result!

Another thing I've incorporated this weekend, which again a number of you may wish to replicate is to wire in a USB socket to the switched Auxiliary connecters next to the headlight:

I bought a pair of female connectors from an ebay seller in Canada that connect directly to the connectors by the side of the headlight. One was wired to my USB socket, the other powers my Garmin GPS cradle, and both are switched with the ignition, which I personally prefer.

photo. plenty of room in the wings of the dash panel for a USB socket and/or a 12v/powerlet socket if you prefer.

photo. plenty of space on top of the headlight for the connectors.

Hope that helps anyone planning something similar...

Jenny x
hommes and lost in space like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 AM

where is possible to Buy the female connectors?

Thanks in advance
David
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaiders View Post
where is possible to Buy the female connectors?
I just bought a pair from ebay seller "kompelec" out of Canada.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I just bought a pair from ebay seller "kompelec" out of Canada.
can you send me the link through Private message?
Thanks
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 PM

A handy hint that some of you may wish to incorporate, is to remove the side-stand cut-out switch - that way it cannot fail at an inopportune moment (of if it does, at least you'll know which wires to join together to bypass it):

photo. basically join these two: the black/green and yellow/blue wires - leaving the red/green wire free.

[I]photo. with these two wires joined together, the bike will start and run in gear, even with the side-stand switch disconnected, and with no warning light on the dash - result!

Thanks for this Jenny! You just saved my son today. While out and about, he dismounted mid ride on a break using the “stirrup” method, and snapped the side stand. I recalled reading this post, looked it up, and gave him the details by phone. Back on the road in 10 minutes! Thank you!
JMo likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
2014 Honda CB500x
2014 Honda CRF250L
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCT View Post
Thanks for this Jenny! You just saved my son today. While out and about, he dismounted mid ride on a break using the “stirrup” method, and snapped the side stand. I recalled reading this post, looked it up, and gave him the details by phone. Back on the road in 10 minutes! Thank you!
Glad I could help... apparently the buzz on the internet (for what that is worth) is that the side-stand breaking has started to become an 'issue' and that BMW are looking into things...

In the meantime, it's probably worth anyone jotting down the two wire colours to join, just incase ;o)

Jx
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:32 PM

I pulled the side stand switch plug on mine, then put a jumper between the appropriate pins. That way I can easily return to stock if a permanent fix becomes available.
greekgeek likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:17 AM

is this the pin used above?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Kit-2-Pin...-/111872605757
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pin.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	10102  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
That connector is for two wires but the side stand switch (looking at the photos) appear to be three wires.

Last edited by Glencoeman; 06-29-2018 at 04:46 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glencoeman View Post
That connector is for two wires but the side stand switch (looking at the photos) appear to be three wires.
the side stand switch uses the same connector as the pre installed connectors beneath the light assembly isn't it? anybody knows how these connectors are called?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page