Fuel Gauge / Fuel Range - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Gauge / Fuel Range

Just wondering if anyone else has had misreading fuel information?

I went to go for my ride today and the bike showed 1/2 a tank and 225km of range. I shot off to the gas station but could barely fit 3.5 ltrs into the tank (very very full tank).

It took about 5-7 min of riding before the fuel gauge or range changed to represent what was actually in the tank...

Anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:53 AM
TYY

I just had this issue yesterday. The gauge said it was a little above a quarter tank and the gas light went off. Went to put gas in and it only took a gallon. After I filled it up it resetted to full tank.

18' R (PWM)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
There's other threads about this issue. Seems the light is designed to say the tank is completely empty when in reality there is still a liter or so left. To help you not run out.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
There's other threads about this issue. Seems the light is designed to say the tank is completely empty when in reality there is still a liter or so left. To help you not run out.
For me, the the light wasn't on, just the fuel gauge showed 1/2 but it had a lot more in it that that.

I couldn't find any other threads on the fuel gauge when I searched.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
You're right, yours was a different question. Though in the end, it all points too the same issue, being significant inaccuracy, seemingly deliberate on BMW's part, of the fuel gauge/warning light. Which annoys me in the sense that, considering the tank is already rather small, and since I don't like staring at that warning light once it comes on, I tend to end up refeuling much sooner and more often than necessary.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
For me, the the light wasn't on, just the fuel gauge showed 1/2 but it had a lot more in it that that.

I couldn't find any other threads on the fuel gauge when I searched.
Yep, your question is slightly different. Your gauge seems slow to respond. When I fill, the gauge will climb to full within seconds of sitting the bike upright before leaving the fuel station. The actual range calculation will need a few km of running before it can calculate anything - but I never look at that - I always leave my display on the total odo.

There is thread (I actually started) about the fuel range calculation here https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/297...lculation.html

One of my recent fills when the tank was down at the lower end of the scale, only took 7.25 litres to fill.

My last fill was actually when I'd been running on "reserve" (according to the dash info), fuel light on constantly, for approx 85 km - the range displayed was showing "1 km" when I filled. Took 9.65 litres - so still 1.35 litres left in the tank.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein

Last edited by NZWestie; 07-28-2018 at 09:34 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I need to fill up tomorrow again so I'll check what's going on and if I have the same problem again.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:41 AM

Just look at the manual page 29 fuel reserve:
It's only correct, when you are driving a little while, not when your bike ist standing on the sidestand
mtwashington likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldi View Post
Just look at the manual page 29 fuel reserve:
It's only correct, when you are driving a little while, not when your bike ist standing on the sidestand
The fuel gauge was showing 1/2 a tank after a few min a riding. But when I went to top it up it could only take 3.5ltrs and that was filled past the metal bar. I would have expected it to be 5 ltrs or more with what it was showing.

The first couple times I filled the tank, the gauge took about 30 seconds after I started riding, not the few minutes it took last time.

Westie I've twice filled now with 1km showing in the range left.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Garage
When I fill the tank up, sometimes it needs some time to show on the display that the tank is full.
The first two or three bars disappear quite fast and that means that the display is not 100% correct.
The bars around 1/2 half full last longer.
I usually fill up before / around I have used 3/4 of the amount in the tank.
Sometimes the light comes up and that is not the reserve.
I think it tells me that I can do x kmís before I go on reserve.
Then it will start using your last liter ....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page