All electronics down except for front and rear lights - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

All electronics down except for front and rear lights

Hey there folks!

I am a proud owner of a 2018 BMW G310GS motorcycle and today, I tried to light up the bike for the first time in 4 months (winter is long in Canada). After charging the battery with an intelligent wall charger (because it was drained), I turned the key in "on" position in order to fire up the engine. And this is were the bad part starts:

In a nutshell, only my front and rear lights work. The trip computer is not booting up, there is no fuel pump noise, the horn is not working and there is no feedback at all from the start ("ignite") button. I have made the following verifications:

-All fuses are plugged in and in perfect condition;
-I have carefully and tightly screwed back the battery connectors (positive and negative) under the seat with the original screws;

-The battery is 90-100% charged, with a 12.8V electrical feedback from the multi-meter.

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha8768 View Post
Hey there folks!

I am a proud owner of a 2018 BMW G310GS motorcycle and today, I tried to light up the bike for the first time in 4 months (winter is long in Canada). After charging the battery with an intelligent wall charger (because it was drained), I turned the key in "on" position in order to fire up the engine. And this is were the bad part starts:

In a nutshell, only my front and rear lights work. The trip computer is not booting up, there is no fuel pump noise, the horn is not working and there is no feedback at all from the start ("ignite") button. I have made the following verifications:

-All fuses are plugged in and in perfect condition;
-I have carefully and tightly screwed back the battery connectors (positive and negative) under the seat with the original screws;

-The battery is 90-100% charged, with a 12.8V electrical feedback from the multi-meter.

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Did you check the kill switch on right side handelbar?
G0MYW and 310GSIRISH like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Garage
That sounds a bit odd to me, assuming everything worked OK before there must be a bad connection somewhere.
I'm not familiar with the wiring on the G310's but many bikes have a major electrical junction in or around the headlamp area.
Even if the 'kill' switch is off you should still get the instruments etc up?
OK, silly question time, but the battery is connected the right way round, red lead to + and black lead to -, I would have thought that the horn would have worked though?

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I should still get the instruments up with a killswitch in "off" position (I tried switching it on but it doesn't change anythin). To me, there are no silly questions But yes, I took a photo of the wiring before removing the battery connectors and I put them back where they previously were.

As for the horn, actually, when I press the horn button, there is a tiny, very weak sound (not even a squeak) but I get a subtle feedback from it. However, it's not screaming as it used to do.

Very odd problem indeed. This is why I took a chance on this forum

Thanks again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, I should still get the instruments up with a killswitch in "off" position (I tried switching it on but it doesn't change anythin). To me, there are no silly questions But yes, I took a photo of the wiring before removing the battery connectors and I put them back where they previously were.
As for the horn, actually, when I press the horn button, there is a tiny, very weak sound (not even a squeak) but I get a subtle feedback from it. However, it's not screaming as it used to do.
Very odd problem indeed. This is why I took a chance on this forum
Thanks again.
If there's only a very week sound from the horn I suspect that there's a short to earth somewhere dragging the battery power down.
Was the 12.8V you measured with the ignition switched on or off?
I would want to try and measure the voltage at some point like the horn when it's being operated, just to see what's getting there, I'd also try it with the kill switch in both positions?

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I investigated the short to earth thing by completely removing the battery and making space around the battery socket, to make sure that no metal was touching or interfering with my battery connection. And then TADAM! The motorcycle ran like a charm. I don't know if the problem was with my connections (I unplugged everything around the battery socket, including wires I didn't know existed) or with interference, but it is now fixed.

The lesson I learned from this story is: make space, unplug and replug EVERYTHING when electronics are messed up.

Other than that, I would like to thank you very much Defender for the time you took to help a stranger. I'm very glad this forum is alive and active!
Defender and LeakyTailpipe like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Other than that, I would like to thank you very much Defender for the time you took to help a stranger. I'm very glad this forum is alive and active!
Aren't we all FRIENDS here? at least we all have a common interest
Ps. I'm not replying for Defender, just expressing my private opinion.
Defender likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 01:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
I investigated the short to earth thing by completely removing the battery and making space around the battery socket, to make sure that no metal was touching or interfering with my battery connection. And then TADAM! The motorcycle ran like a charm. I don't know if the problem was with my connections (I unplugged everything around the battery socket, including wires I didn't know existed) or with interference, but it is now fixed.
The lesson I learned from this story is: make space, unplug and replug EVERYTHING when electronics are messed up.
Hey, no worries, you're more than welcome.
I have had help from people from all over the world in one way or another, over the years so it's nice to be able to return the favour.
With the current world situation, I hope everyone will want to help others, it'll be a better place to live?

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselman View Post
Aren't we all FRIENDS here? at least we all have a common interest
Ps. I'm not replying for Defender, just expressing my private opinion.
Thank you hasselman, that's how I feel too

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Garage
I had a similar problem with my 2018 G310 R in January. While I was riding the entire electronics shut down expect the lights. Basically the instrument cluster and the engine shut off. I did not try the horn, and I don't recall if the lights went off. Each time was at low speed so no serious incidents happened.

This happened twice at low speed, and each time I was able to stop the bike and turn the key a couple of times until it came back on. OK on a quiet street but terrifying when surrounded by rush-hour traffic

After the second time I took the bike to my local dealer, who updated the software and changed the battery. I'm told they also checked and cleaned all the connections. They could not reproduce the issue and never found the cause of the problem, but I have not seen it again since. BMW USA were involved, and I was not charged for the work.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page