Paint Job - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Paint Job

I am thinking of changing the paint scheme when I buy the G310R (black version).

I would do this in a number of stages:

1st stage: paint the front fender cosmic black, paint the fairing cosmic black and paint the portions under the seat cosmic black.

Result: all black G310R

2nd stage: paint the light covers and tank covers in the monolith metallic matt (i.e. the colour of the RnineT scrambler)

and by paint I mean get it sprayed at a body shop

What do you guys think?

How difficult is it to remove the parts in question?

In addition, I would get the seat reupholstered in the same brown and similar style to the RnineT scrambler
cfaircraft likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Hmmm, I'm trying to imagine it with a monolith metallic matt gas tank and I can't do it. I assume removal of the fuel tank is similar to the other roadsters in BMW's lineup; take off the seat and, remove any tank fasteners you see, then there's the fuel line and the connection to the fuel pump.

If you're planning to Diy a lot of things, may as well spring for the service manual.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I thought the panels just covered the fuel tank, not actually part of it. Might just have to tape off the parts.

Will have to wait till sometime in July till we get the 310 in Australia. Hopefully will be able to get some assistance from the local BMW Motorrad dealer.

Will definitely spring for the service manual once I get the bike.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 AM

The original tank is not covered by panels, just painted from factory so you gotta remove the whole thing to paint it or carefully tape up everything.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 PM

I would definitely advise taking it off completely as it'll be so much easier than having to tape off everywhere to ensure no overspray gets all over everything. This paint scheme does sound like it'll be interesting, but maybe I just need to see the finished process to really make that judgement.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 AM

If you're fine with just matte, there's always matte wraps you can put on top of the black paint. No part removal needed, just time and patience.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 PM

Adding to that it's a great skill to learn and could prove real helpful to you later on. For example, you get scratches on another bike in the future, you could just wrap over it. Start learning tricks like applying stripes and different wraps and what not to make designs and you could make some seriously cool bike designs!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
A wrap would be a great idea for the tank and light covers, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:58 AM

I think a wrap is a great idea, you could always peel it off if you don't like it later down the road and it'll protect the original factory paint from scratches.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Tons of pros over cons of wraps these days especially with the advancement of tech their going through. The wraps now are much more user-friendly and look so darn near close to paint you'll have to take a double take (when done correctly)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page