BMW + Alpinestars - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

BMW + Alpinestars

This seems really cool. An airbag jacket. So it's BMW partnering with Alpinestars to create this high tech jacket that has an airbag system to save you. Not too sure how much it'll cost but I'm kinda worried about it going off in an incident where it shouldn't be ?
Quote:
BMW chose Alpinestars as partner in developing an advanced airbag system offering comprehensive upper body protection for motorcycling on or off-road. As in the Alpinestars MotoGP airbag leathers, sensors and a sophisticated algorithm detect the onset of an accident and trigger full airbag inflation in 25 milliseconds to provide a level of protection even in the case of a rear impact while waiting at traffic lights.
BMW, Alpinestars Collaborate in ?Street Air? Airbag Jacket | Cycle World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Would love to see a video of how these work. It sounds like a great idea, once it works as explained and doesn't malfunction. They look pretty nice as well. Wonder what the prices are for them.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 AM

I can just imagine the inflated price tag. There are more affordable options out there that works just as well even if they aren't as stylish. Helite has an airbag vest for around $600.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Hey! That's my BMW dealer here in southern Oregon. Why didn't I hear about this demo?

But were I to buy one of these contraptions, I can just see me dismounting the bike to fill up the tank and forgetting to unclip the tether.

POOF!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 AM

I can see that happening to me too when I take a break. I think you need to attach a small air canister to the jacket, but I have no idea how much each one costs. THat could add up for people like us.

It's something you'll need to get used to for the added protection, maybe make the clip neon green for visibility. It definitely protects you from sever whiplash as it covers the back of your neck.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM

That would honestly make for a very entertaining situation though haha ! Just remember to keep a GoPro on at all times and I bet it'll go viral
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 PM

i wish there was a bit more neck support, sort of along the lines of a neck pillow since if you go flying having your neck in a safe position can go a long way. Still, this is better than the level of safety most riders have out on the road.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Neck support is always a critical thing. The slightest flick the wrong way, you're bound to have a bad day. The harness in that video though does look like it'll take a good level of force to get it to activate which is great. I'm pretty sure if you're casually getting off the bike, it'll hold you well without setting you off.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 AM

The inflated jacket prevents your neck from whipping backwards as much as it could have without one. But for really good neck protection, you're going to have to shell out more money for something like Dainese D-Air.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

I see that they do have neck support braces as well, but I think that may be a bit extreme ? They're listed for track use and what not?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page