Heated grips and phone mount-done - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Sam

Heated grips and phone mount-done

Hi all, just installed heated grips and phone mount to us with maps while away.
Grips works superb and can highly recommend mod as is easy and really help you enjoy cold weather riding. Thinking of getting sw motech hand guards to help with wind chill, that setup should be sufficient for any winter riding.
Picture below, had to resize as was to big to upload
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2210.JPG
Views:	895
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	1169  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Cool .... or should I say Hot... Looks good but since I am in SoCal I don't think I would get much use out of heated hand grips. The Guards on the other hand I will be looking at when I get my GS to protect the levels from damage while off road riding. I think I am going to turn some Sliders and Guards for the GS as well once I get it.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 AM

Wait, I don't see the cellphone holder. But the heated grips look great and you can choose the temperature setting I assume?
Old 09-03-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Hi all, just installed heated grips and phone mount to us with maps while away.
Grips works superb and can highly recommend mod as is easy and really help you enjoy cold weather riding. Thinking of getting sw motech hand guards to help with wind chill, that setup should be sufficient for any winter riding.
Picture below, had to resize as was to big to upload
Looking at the photo, it looks like the heated grip switch will hit the right side tank cover on full lock. It would fail the MOT in the UK.
I have a spare kit the same as that and will fit it soon - where did you connect the live lead or did you connect both leads straight to the battery?

Last edited by Glencoeman; 09-03-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:39 AM

Garage
cute, but winter in upstate ny, heated grips wont help with a few feet of snow...lol
Glencoeman likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Sam

Yes you can control temperature and it get close to tank but wont touch so all good with MOT.
As to phone mount its on the left hand side by the indicators switch(black square thing) used it already and well worth having.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 18.17.49.png
Views:	233
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	1185  
Old 09-03-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Sam

Yes I did, zip tied cables to original loom, fed it under the fuel tank(right hand site as you sit on your bike) and straight to battery. There is an opening in battery box so all kept original and tidy.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:10 AM

There must an electric socket somewhere near the front of the bike where the BMW heated grip power lead goes to. Does anyone know where it is and what colour leads they are? Better than connecting direct to the battery as it will switch off the heated grips when the ignition is switched off.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glencoeman View Post
There must an electric socket somewhere near the front of the bike where the BMW heated grip power lead goes to. Does anyone know where it is and what colour leads they are? Better than connecting direct to the battery as it will switch off the heated grips when the ignition is switched off.
Interested in knowing also. Weather is getting cold and I usually ride until it snows... Digging in the service manual I couldn't find the routing for such cable, neither any information for installing the heated grips. All I discovered is that FUSE#2 is handling heated grips.

Also it seems the OEM heated grips are not available from BMW yet ? I would like to compare OEM vs aftermarket offerings.

As for connecting directly to the battery, the Oxford kit seems to have a fuse of its own, and also a shut-off mechanism if battery hits a certain voltage threshold, so at least you don't end up with a completely drained battery in case you leave the grip power to ON....
Ligkonakos likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
Interested in knowing also. Weather is getting cold and I usually ride until it snows... Digging in the service manual I couldn't find the routing for such cable, neither any information for installing the heated grips. All I discovered is that FUSE#2 is handling heated grips.

Also it seems the OEM heated grips are not available from BMW yet ? I would like to compare OEM vs aftermarket offerings.

As for connecting directly to the battery, the Oxford kit seems to have a fuse of its own, and also a shut-off mechanism if battery hits a certain voltage threshold, so at least you don't end up with a completely drained battery in case you leave the grip power to ON....
I mounted heated grips last week. Its a empy socket
In the middle of the contacts of the indicator lights,behind/over the headlight.
I expect it to be used for heated grips.
heap and Glencoeman like this.