Front & Rear Spool Sliders - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Front & Rear Spool Sliders

Anyone knows the bolt size for the rear spool slider? Also, can anyone recommend some tried and true spool sliders and a decent rear stand to go along with them? Maintaining the chain with just the sidestand is really becoming a chore lately due to the limited space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM

Huhmm actually, and with disappointment I must say, I didn't see any threaded holes for fitting screw-in spools, as most of my other previous bikes had
Some of the options would be:
-Trough-axle spool setup (photo 1) - what I don't like with setup is that it looks like you wouldn't be able to remove the wheel from the bike if need be!
-Chain-adjuster spool setup, with a kit that would include replacement adjusters allowing you to screw spools on it. Photo 2/3. The ones fitting towards the front of the bike (photo 3) seems better if you want to remove wheel.
(R&G and CSG are the companies I found making such adapters. No I don't work for them and never tried these items myself)
-No spools!, just 'L' shaped universal adapters on a standard rear-wheel stand (this is what I use for now) photo 4 from my own bike/stand. Photo 5 for a clearer example!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troughaxle.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1737   Click image for larger version

Name:	adjusterbracket.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1745   Click image for larger version

Name:	adjusterbracketIN.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1753   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_stand.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1761   Click image for larger version

Name:	71atpSM06+L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1769  

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
Huhmm actually, and with disappointment I must say, I didn't see any threaded holes for fitting screw-in spools, as most of my other previous bikes had
Some of the options would be:
-Trough-axle spool setup (photo 1) - what I don't like with setup is that it looks like you wouldn't be able to remove the wheel from the bike if need be!
-Chain-adjuster spool setup, with a kit that would include replacement adjusters allowing you to screw spools on it. Photo 2/3. The ones fitting towards the front of the bike (photo 3) seems better if you want to remove wheel.
(R&G and CSG are the companies I found making such adapters. No I don't work for them and never tried these items myself)
-No spools!, just 'L' shaped universal adapters on a standard rear-wheel stand (this is what I use for now) photo 4 from my own bike/stand. Photo 5 for a clearer example!
Sorry, but I don't think I understand how you go about doing with an adapter. I don't have any experience with bikes but don't you just screw it in and it's ok? Obviously you can't with the G310R as you specified, but I can't for the love of god understand the adapter procedure. :/ I saw R&G listed a spool on RevZilla but the shipping cost to EU is absurd.

The L shaped rear wheel stand looks a bit dangerous, does it hold the bike steady or can it let it go abruptly? If so, I can just go ahead and buy it and not have to worry about it I guess?

Would something like this from Oxford work?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2v6y027s.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1817  

Last edited by Ligkonakos; 10-13-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligkonakos View Post
Sorry, but I don't think I understand how you go about doing with an adapter. I don't have any experience with bikes but don't you just screw it in and it's ok? Obviously you can't with the G310R as you specified, but I can't for the love of god understand the adapter procedure. :/ I saw R&G listed a spool on RevZilla but the shipping cost to EU is absurd.

The L shaped rear wheel stand looks a bit dangerous, does it hold the bike steady or can it let it go abruptly? If so, I can just go ahead and buy it and not have to worry about it I guess?

Would something like this from Oxford work?
Sorry if I was not clear, let's put it in graphic. On the following picture, if you would buy this R&G kit, you'd have:
#1= The spool which would screw in #2= a chain adjuster bracket having a threaded hole inside it, replacing your stock chain adjuster bracket that does not have any threaded hole.

As for the L shaped rear-stand, if you take care positioning the brackets under the swingarm, no problems. Takes a few times to get use to it. It has springs that "pushes" trough the swingarm.
Looks like the Oxford would do the job. And if one day you install spools on your G310R then you can swap just the adapters on the stand, replacing them for spool-compatible ones, so you'd keep the same stand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r_and_g_spool.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1833  

Last edited by heap; 10-13-2017 at 07:25 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:50 AM

Replying to myself, after looking at my own bike: the bracket I pictured in my last post would be "added", not "replacing" any existing stock bracket. Sorry for the confusion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
Sorry if I was not clear, let's put it in graphic. On the following picture, if you would buy this R&G kit, you'd have:
#1= The spool which would screw in #2= a chain adjuster bracket having a threaded hole inside it, replacing your stock chain adjuster bracket that does not have any threaded hole.

As for the L shaped rear-stand, if you take care positioning the brackets under the swingarm, no problems. Takes a few times to get use to it. It has springs that "pushes" trough the swingarm.
Looks like the Oxford would do the job. And if one day you install spools on your G310R then you can swap just the adapters on the stand, replacing them for spool-compatible ones, so you'd keep the same stand.
Ahh I understand what you mean now. So, supposedly most bikes have a threaded hole, you insert a spool and its over. But with the G310R there is no such mechanism so you have to buy a kit/adapter for the spool that is specific to each bike so you can have a threaded hole for the spool and the bolt for the chain adjuster; it all makes sense now.

I see, I'll just go for the Oxford stand then since I can't afford to wait 1 month shipping and pay double the price (almost) for the kit. You may need to help me again in the near future if I have problems with it.

Many thanks man, I appreciate the time you devoted
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Should be relatively easy to remove the through the axle sliders with a L wrench
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 02:45 PM

R&G Rear Spool Sliders

Hi Heap. Iím also interested in the R&G Offset Rear Spool Sliders. My interest is primarily for using in conjunction with a service paddock. Iím wondering if you know if you can a) adjust the chain tension while the bike is on the stand? and b) can you remove the wheel while the bike is on the stand? They donít see to be of much service use otherwise.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:06 PM

The stand which goes under the swing arm, allows both adjustment and axle removal. According to the picture in the riders manual, BMW stand does the same. They are relatively cheap at Harbor Freight or Cycle Gear. I am new to no center stand bikes and relatively new to chains. The front stand appears to fit under the fork tube and lift the front end as well. It will be a while before I need a new front tire, so this will wait and maybe...MAYBE BMW will have a center stand for the R.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG310R View Post
Hi Heap. Iím also interested in the R&G Offset Rear Spool Sliders. My interest is primarily for using in conjunction with a service paddock. Iím wondering if you know if you can a) adjust the chain tension while the bike is on the stand? and b) can you remove the wheel while the bike is on the stand? They donít see to be of much service use otherwise.
Assuming you are referring to these: https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike...2018/CR0064BK/ then:
- YES you will be able to move the wheel back and forth (for chain adjustment & lubrication)
- NO you won't be able to remove the wheel as these spools are held by the axle. As soon as you'll remove the axle to remove the wheel, the spools will no longer have any support!

It seems a company called GSG might have a better design where the spools are held by the chain adjuster bolts, theoretically allowing you to remove the wheel . Not sure how strong that would be, never seen or tried myself but might do the trick. Look at BMW G310R Sliders/Crash Protectors. Wild Hair Accessories, Motorcycle Accessories. and scroll down to GSG Rear Stand Adapter (part# 29-44-15-W17).

'18 G310R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page