Installing Heated Grips - Am I Doing It Right? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installing Heated Grips - Am I Doing It Right?

Hoping someone can confirm I'm on the right track with this or steer me in a better direction since I'm a bit new at all this.

I bought a pair of Bike Master Heated Grips (can't link them for some reason, they're on Revzilla though).

They don't interface with the accessory socket on our 310s, which is a bummer, since I would have loved to just plug them in right behind the headlight in that blanked out lead. I think what I'm going to do is to is a posi-tap and tap the rear plate light, then ground to the negative terminal.

What do you all think about this? Am I gonna cause any problems? I'd rather not hook directly up to the battery since I know I'd forget to turn them off one day and drain it by accident. I'd like to hook up to an ignition-keyed wire.
Ligkonakos and Defender like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Your plan should work.
But you could still work with the accessory connector behind the headlight instead of running cables all over the bike. This is an ignition-keyed connection.
If you want to retain the stock accessory connector, then just cut the tie-wrap holding it in place, then hopefully you have enough slack to work with and install 2 of those "posi-taps" on the wires before they reach the connector. One on the positive, the other on the ground (the black/white cable is the ground one).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input!

I actually ended up deciding to return the ones I bought and ordered a pair of the Oxford Heaterz that hook up to the battery. They come with an auto-shutoff switch that'll keep them from draining the battery. Since I'm so new at this, and the bike is new, I didn't ultimately relish the idea of tampering with the wiring and screwing something up on my baby.
Defender likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Hello, I was researching heated grips on the 310R and saw your post. I have had my bike for about a month now and my hands are getting cold when I go for a ride (not unexpected in winter I know). I had a couple questions for you - was it difficult to remove the stock grips, did you get the Sport grips from Oxford, and does the whole heated grip rotate on the right/throttle side with the wire coming out or does that right heated grip have an inner rotating mechanism for the throttle? Thanks for any feedback! My hands appreciate it!!

Ralph
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
Easy to remove the stock grips without cutting. I used a little long flat screwdriver and acf50 squirted up the grip, after removing the barend and working up and around the grip with the screwdriver. Both sides came off easily. The throttle side grip is hooked over a lip near the controls that needs to be unhooked before it comes off. Neither grip had a lot of glue holding them in place. The throttle tube needs sanding down as it has ridges that the grip holds onto. Easy to do with a power file, sounds worse than it is! I used the oxford sports grips, the throttle side sliding back onto the now smoothed off throttle tube, little bit of glue and they are ok and working great.
Defender likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm going to pull the trigger and get them! Winter is too long to avoid riding because of cold hands!
Defender likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:48 AM

To cut down on wind hitting your hand, maybe some hand-guards? Combine that with heated grips and it should keep you toasty warm.
Defender likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Garage
I was unsure if to buy a set of oxford or wait for the bmw ones, and each time I visited my dealer they were not yet available, so in the end I picked up an oxford set at the uk bike show. Should have done it when I first got the bike, I can highly recommend those, and so far this winter, Iíve not had them on past half way, more than that, they get too hot! And still using my summer gloves too. The only thing I did differently was to put the controller on the left side of the battery box as I didnít really want the controller on the bars, but of a pain to turn off blind so to speak, but soon get the hang of it.
Defender and Eirikr27 like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:55 PM

My Oxford Heaterz came and tomorrow I'm going to install them and go for a ride! Looking forward to having warm hands again!
Defender and Eirikr27 like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Garage
I just purchases a set of Oxford grips-- thanks to this thread!
Any other tips/tricks to installing the Heaterz?

2018 BMW G310R Sobeska

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page