Installed Grip Warmers (Heat Demon / Moose Racing) - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By heap

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Installed Grip Warmers (Heat Demon / Moose Racing)

Used these on previous bike with satisfaction so decided to go for the same. They are made by a company called Symtec. On the shelves you can find them with brand names Moose Racing or Heat Demon. Most shops carry them or can get them easily. Mine are Moose Racing ones, Part #0631-0046. Retails for $60 USD

What I like is that they have 2 circuits and you just use the rocker switch to enable circuit #1 or both of them for more heat, there is no separate heat/current controller, so nothing bulky to worry about. Simple and efficient design.

Also you don’t replace the whole grips with this system, you just install the stick-on heats shields under the stock grips. Using a air compressor helped to remove the grips. Had a hard time removing the throttle side grip, started swearing and sweating until I realized there is a “lip” on that grip that slides into the throttle body! (photo 2). So you need to first work on de-engaging this lip before being able to remove the grip. Good to know…

Routing the 2 cables coming from the warmers was easy, the 2 rubber loops holding the current cables still had room to accommodate the new wires, and added 2-3 ties wrap just to secure everything. On the throttle side you need to keep enough slack so when you rotate the throttle you don't stretch or break the wire.

For the rocker switch I looked at the various options and ended up fixing it on the top black part of the headlight plastic cover. Drilled 13/16" hole as instructed and fits nicely. There was not much room for error thought!

For wiring I’ve made my own connector and hooked on the accessory port behind the headlight (you can find this port in the middle of the 2 connectors used for the indicators). I confirm it does turn off when you switch the ignition off.

Sub 10 °C these days, much appreciated upgrade 😊

End result pleasing to my eye, nothing in the way.

Sharing some photos for those getting into the project…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hg1.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2489   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg2.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2497   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg3.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2505   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg4.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2513   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg5.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2521  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hg6.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	2529   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg7.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2537   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg8.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	2545   Click image for larger version

Name:	hg9.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	2553  
porth, Ligkonakos, RichA and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That is a really nice looking solution compared to many of the other options on the market, including BMW's own version that has a butt ugly huge rocker switch that bolts onto the middle of the handle bars.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
That is a really nice looking solution compared to many of the other options on the market, including BMW's own version that has a butt ugly huge rocker switch that bolts onto the middle of the handle bars.
Thanks
Agreed the BMW proposed version (can't find trace of it but I'm sure I saw it once) was taking way too much space, not mentioning the price which was announced at something like over $400!?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You can find a picture of the BMW switch on page 101 of the manual.

I would go the moose racing solution if it ever got cold here

Would be nice to be able to get a plug that fits into the accessory plug.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 AM

Garage
I'm about to finish an install of Oxford Heaterz on mine, and only have to get the original grips off. Thanks for the tips - I didn't know about the lip on the throttle side. Are they glued on either side? I'm a bit terrified of damaging the throttle tube. So far I've only poked around with a flat-head screwdriver on the left side and that doesn't look too bad.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbmw View Post
I'm about to finish an install of Oxford Heaterz on mine, and only have to get the original grips off. Thanks for the tips - I didn't know about the lip on the throttle side. Are they glued on either side? I'm a bit terrified of damaging the throttle tube. So far I've only poked around with a flat-head screwdriver on the left side and that doesn't look too bad.
Air compressor with the narrowest tip you have definitively help to get some movement going. Insert it between grip and handlebar from the end side of the handle and twist/pull throttle at the same time. Then insert tip on the other side and same idea. Some without air compressors often use WD40, which works fine, just make sure to clean the tube really well afterwards...
There was very little glue on the non-throttle side and I did not see any glue on the throttle side (the throttle grip and the throttle tube have "ribs" that align and "link" together - no need for glue).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 AM

Garage
Great, thanks. I've switched out a lot of mountain bike grips in the past so I know the air compressor trick, although I don't have one handy unfortunately. Those grips are usually clamp on nowadays, too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Great job!

Thank for this well-timed thread, it's getting colder and this solution can save my frostbitten fingers lol.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
... (the throttle grip and the throttle tube have "ribs" that align and "link" together - no need for glue).
I don't understand how the heating element wouldn't interfere with these splines on the throttle side?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA View Post
I don't understand how the heating element wouldn't interfere with these splines on the throttle side?
The splines do make a bit of an uneven surface but nothing drastic, the heating element still properly sticks on it and make good contact with the grip. The element is disposed on a single adhesive binding the whole element together so it's not as fragile as you might think. Tested fine at -15°C last season before storing the bike for the winter.

'18 G310R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page