Heated grips or heated gloves? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MichaelJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Heated grips or heated gloves?

As the title says, any opinions are welcomed.
I have had heated grips on two previous motorcycles and while they are convenient and quite toasty warm, they only
heated the inside of my hands. Even with Barkbusters and the heated grips I found the backside of my hand were often
cool/cold. Here in Canada there is such a short riding season, you have to ride when you can, and that means if it is
cool out, you dress for it and ride.
I have never had heated gloves before, and was thinking this may be a option to look into. I like the fact that they can
also heat the back of your hands. Wondering if they can be plugged into 12 volt accessory sockets to charge while riding?
Plus, they can be used elsewhere (portability).
Don't have to fuss with the heated grip install, although if I was to go with the grips I really like the Koso Apollo ones.
Pricing seems comparable, but wondering if they are as effective?
Let me know what you think.
Rick

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:01 AM

Garage
Iíve only used Bmw oe ones on the 700gs and oxford ones on the 310r, and to be honest the oxford ones are much better. During winter I only put them at max 40% and used my summer gloves (alpine star with wind blocker), never had a problem with cold hands. However, the coldest I rode in was 4c. I did think about heated gloves, but couldnít find any that gave me the level of feel that I have with summer gloves.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 AM

Garage
I have heated gloves, my current ones are powered by 'on board' 9V batteries which last a couple of hours plus on cheap ones, the batteries live in a pocket on the back of the wrist, they don't get too hot, they have three heat settings and an auto off function, so you can't leave them on accidentally, they have the great advantage of being universal so can be used on any bike and even off it, cycling and walking too.
I also have a pair of old Widder heated gloves that I used with my heated waistcoat, when used with the thermostat are outstanding and certainly much hotter, but more expensive, involve wiring and are sadly no longer available as Widder ceased trading in 2008.

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:21 AM

Garage
I miss Widder - I traded in my Widder vest (waistcoat in Brit-Speak) on a Warm and Safe jacket liner. Wish that I hadn't. Not that the Warm and Safe is bad, it's just that the Widder was better.

That being said, Warm and Safe does have a line of gloves. They DO need to be powered from a 12V source, though.

12V for Motorcycling, Power Sports - Heated Gloves - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC
Defender likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that link Michael.
After doing a bit more research (Google), I am more confused than ever. ��
There are a lot of choices, price ranges, voltages, rechargeable, direct 12 volt.
One thing I did notice was not all have a heated thumb.
The search continues.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM

i think the gloves are a good/better/easyer solution no wires on your handlebars and in the summer you dont need all that
expensive but personly i go for the gloves.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 PM

I have both BMW heated grips and Gerbing heated gloves.

The gloves are difficult to use in "close quarters" as in they will not pick up a dime, or let you easily use some of the controls on the bike, however these are older gloves.

Heated grips only warm part of your hand, even with brush guards they are not perfect.

There is a trade off here and I think it depends on how far you are riding and how cold it is. I've settled on heated grips and brush guards, my commute is 100 miles round trip, in the morning it is <50 degrees many times in the low 40's and it is OK.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page