Flash2pass installation - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RichA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Flash2pass installation

I installed a Flash2pass garage door opener transmitter on my wife's new G310R yesterday. Opening the garage door is now a simple matter of two pulls on the high beam flash switch. No remote to keep track of and feed batteries.

I'm leaving this here for people searching for tips on this install, hoping it might save you the exploratory work I did before finding this method.

It actually turned out to be about the easiest install I've done.

There were a pair of screws just behind the front turn signals. One holds the signal stalk on, and the further back one secures the nose cover. I removed the nose cover screws from both sides, and was able to pull up gently on the plastic just in front of the top of the display to release a couple of tabs. That allowed the nose cover (with headlight) to swing down.

On each side is a wire for the turn signals with a connector. Those wires keep the nose from being able to swing all the way down. I disconnected them to allow more room to work.

I pulled up the rubber boot around the headlight and folded it back. I unplugged the connector from the headlight and used a volt meter to identify ground and high-beam. If you don't have a meter or test light and want to check, you can use some wire to check which terminal is which.

I found that the left and right terminals were ground and high beam (which is which doesn't matter as the Flash2pass unit doesn't care). There wasn't much room to use taps on the wires themselves, so I got creative and threaded the Flash2pass wires through the holes in the lugs on the light, making sure the insulation was down low enough to not interfere with the plug. When I plugged the light back in, the wires were clamped by the plug.

There is a near perfect little slot just under/in front of the display where the Flash2pass module tucked in.

A quick test, pull the boot back into position, making sure to leave good slack in the wiring, reconnect the turn signals, close the nose, replace the 2 screws, and done.

Sorry for lack of pictures.
fais310 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:36 PM

Is the opener transmitting when the high beam is on? If so ride down the road and open all the doors.

Bob

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Slow View Post
Is the opener transmitting when the high beam is on? If so ride down the road and open all the doors.

Bob
Hi, Bob. That won't work for 2 reasons. First, the transmitter gets paired to the specific receiver, just like a typical remote. Second, it only transmits when you flash the high beam twice, not continuously.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 AM

Which unit did you get. I saw two online. One was like $100 the other was $59?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical_r3dn3ck View Post
Which unit did you get. I saw two online. One was like $100 the other was $59?
I got them years ago, though I added one not long ago. At that time, the main price difference seemed to be if you got the full kit, with the receiver, or just a transmitter.

Instead of having to figure out how to talk to every possible radio system for every kind of opener out there, they provide their own receiver which wires into place like an extra manual button inside the garage (in fact, it has a button on it you can use to open and close the door). Then their transmitters just talk to that, not to your opener.

This is "starter kit" with both a receiver and a transmitter (so covers one bike or car): http://a.co/jad3a2t

This is the extra transmitter to use if you want to add another bike or car to the system: http://a.co/i9dsYPP

It's not the cheapest solution, but we use our garage door typically several times a day, so the convenience adds up. Plus, it is cool to not have to stop and fumble for a remote or take a hand off the bars during the turn into the driveway. And the "high beam flash" button the G310 is just made for this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page