Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L on BMW G310GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to RidingDutchMan
Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L on BMW G310GS

Hello follow bikers,

I just got myself a BMW G310GS and made the decision to add Soft Panniers rather than aluminium ones (consideration weight & safety).

Looking at the various brands in offer, I really like the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L panniers. Main reason is the way they are fitted on a pannier bike rack, very easy to clip them on/off the bike and very sturdy and secure.

I am living in Thailand and the only aftermarket pannier rack is ‘smaller’ than the exhaust. For hard case panniers no problem as they are build ‘around’ the exhaust (i.e. they have an ‘indent’ at the bottom of the pannier where the exhaust is).

For people familiar with the Mosko Moto Backcountry soft-panniers, the mounting is on a ‘bracket’ attached to the pannier rack. There is a bracket on the pannier as well as on the pannier rack.

Due that the exhaust is ‘underneath’ the pannier rack (so effectively ‘sticking out’), I effectively don’t see a way to install these brackets so that the panniers are mounted vertical.

Is there anyone who has installed the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L on a BMW G310GS and has a solution for this?

Or is there an aftermarket supplier that produces a pannier rack that ‘goes over’ the exhaust?

Your suggestions and solutions are very welcome.

Thanks and safe riding...

Best regards,
Louis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	350EF4D4-3AF1-467F-8847-F6FBE3E3079E_1535588353045.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	10852  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:16 AM

Garage
@RidingDutchMan Thank you for your post. I'm considering the same Mosko setup for my GS and have the same concern re fitment over the exhaust. I have not yet fitted the side racks and have identified HepcoBecker and Givi as the only 2 "mainstream" suppliers of rectangular racks(for compatibility with Mosko's adapter plates). I have submitted a query with Chris at MoskoMoto and he has stated that they have a customer facing an issue with fitment on the G310GS but I'm awaiting feedback and whether they were able to make it work in the end. What side racks do you have fitted on your GS? On a side note, BMW just released their Atacama bags, which is based on the Mosko Backcountry bags. Hopefully some manufacturer adapts the solution for the G310GS.

2017 Black G310GS
2011 CBR250R
2007 BMW F800ST
2006 Kawasaki ER6F
2006 Bajaj CT100(cheap training bike)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Hello Francois,

Many thanks for your swift reply. I am happy to hear you are looking for the same set-up on your G310GS.

I am very keen to hear from you after you have feedback from Chris (MoskoMoto), on the solution for the issue with one of his customers.

I posted my question in two sections on this forum and also got a reply from 'Stampede'. He is about to mount his Hepco Backer pannier racks on his G310GS next Tuesday. I have asked him to keep me posted on the result. Hopefully this will work fine.

As I also mentioned to Stampede, that I am keen to hear from him whether the distance between saddle and pannier on the 'left' side will be the same as on the 'right' side where the exhaust is located. Some of the aluminum panniers are wider on one side and smaller on the other side for that particular reason. If that is the case, I might need to consider a 35L pannier on the left and 25L on the right.

Let's keep each other updated on this subject. I am holding off buying a rack until I know that the Mosko Moto Backcountry panniers will fit without a problem. Otherwise it will be a waste of time.

Again, many thanks and best regards,
Louis
francoisps likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoisps View Post
@RidingDutchMan Thank you for your post. I'm considering the same Mosko setup for my GS and have the same concern re fitment over the exhaust. I have not yet fitted the side racks and have identified HepcoBecker and Givi as the only 2 "mainstream" suppliers of rectangular racks(for compatibility with Mosko's adapter plates). I have submitted a query with Chris at MoskoMoto and he has stated that they have a customer facing an issue with fitment on the G310GS but I'm awaiting feedback and whether they were able to make it work in the end. What side racks do you have fitted on your GS? On a side note, BMW just released their Atacama bags, which is based on the Mosko Backcountry bags. Hopefully some manufacturer adapts the solution for the G310GS.
I will try to update you on Tuesday after I mount the Hepco Becker side racks on my GS. I will include a pic of the H.B. racks with Caribou hard cases mounted.

Cheers,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	G310GS.jpg.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	10894  
francoisps likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
I will try to update you on Tuesday after I mount the Hepco Becker side racks on my GS. I will include a pic of the H.B. racks with Caribou hard cases mounted.

Cheers,
Bill
Hi @Stampede Thanks for the info, looking forward to your update. When you take photos of the Hepco racks on your GS, can you please do ones specifically focusing on the rack position relative to the exhaust, this is something Hepco seem to have ignored in their pics as they are all taken from the opposite side of the bike. Good luck with the fitment.

2017 Black G310GS
2011 CBR250R
2007 BMW F800ST
2006 Kawasaki ER6F
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi Francois / Bill,

On Friday I sent an email to Mosko Moto regarding the Backcountry Paniers on the G310GS. Today I received the following reply:

Hi Louis.

Roel here with Mosko Moto. Thanks for your message and your interest in our gear. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. There are no workable racks at the moment. I know some are being produced but there is nothing to go with our BC35 system yet. I did fit the Reckless 80 on the 310GS last weekend. It looked and fitted great. If you are looking for a luggage system soon this would be your best bet at the moment. The R80 will be back in stock by the second week of September.

From October we should be shipping from The Netherlands as we are opening a fulfillment center near Amsterdam. Shipping time and cost will reduce dramatically. Also no more hassle with customs and fees. There will be tax added to the price, which is the case now as well but you pay it at customs. Final pricing will be known once we start shipping from NL.

Shipping to Thailand is possible but we have had some issues in the past.

Cheers,

Roel Bremmers
Mosko Moto

UNQUOTE

It seems I have to wait until there is a solution for the Backcountry Panniers. I really like them but the exhaust seems to be a problem for the moment.

STAMPEDE - I look forward whether these panniers fit on the H&B Pannier Rack that you have.

Cheers,
Louis
francoisps likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDutchMan View Post
Hi Francois / Bill,

On Friday I sent an email to Mosko Moto regarding the Backcountry Paniers on the G310GS. Today I received the following reply:
Hey Louis,

I got the same email from Mosko Moto. It is confusing to me as I talked to someone at Mosko Moto on the Phone and they told me that the BC35L bags would work fine on the H and B side racks for the 310GS.

UPS screwed up my delivery of the side racks today so I have to go pick them up at 5:30 pm Mountain Time at the UPS facility here in Pocatello Idaho. Once I get them mounted up I will post some pics.

I sent a picture to Mosko Moto of a G 310GS with a Hepco & Becker side rack installed on it. I haven't heard back from them as of yet. I will update here when and if they contact me.

Regards,
Bill
francoisps likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM

OK Guys, here are the pics of my GS with the H&B side racks mounted.

It is not good news. The right side is problematic with the exhaust as far as mounting the Mosko Moto BC35L bags. I just got off the phone with Dusty (what a great guy) at Mosko Moto. He is going to see if they can find a solution and get back with me to possibly test it out for them. I will keep updating as I hear more from Mosko Moto.

Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	11060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	11062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	11064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	11066  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Get yourself some shorter led indicators off ebay. I paid about $50 for a set of 4, they work really well.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
OK Guys, here are the pics of my GS with the H&B side racks mounted.

It is not good news. The right side is problematic with the exhaust as far as mounting the Mosko Moto BC35L bags. I just got off the phone with Dusty (what a great guy) at Mosko Moto. He is going to see if they can find a solution and get back with me to possibly test it out for them. I will keep updating as I hear more from Mosko Moto.

Stay tuned!
Thanks Stampede, great photos. I can see the issue with the mosko bracket, the bracket will have to sit higher to clear the exhaust, or spacers to make it sit further out and a heat shield to protect the bag. I have the Akrapovic pipe on which I suspect might be a little lower but slightly wider than OEM, judging by photos, might take my bike to a BMW dealer to compare with OEM. At least I don't have to deal with those long stem indicators the DOT required for the US version.

2017 Black G310GS
2011 CBR250R
2007 BMW F800ST
2006 Kawasaki ER6F

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page