SW-Motech center stand installation issues - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Question SW-Motech center stand installation issues

When I got my GS, the first modification was to install SW-Motech's center stand. I found another source of center stand (from Thailand, China, etc), but they were not cheap enough to try. So I decided to depend on the big brand. 149.90EUR shipped was not a bad deal.

There were two problems during the installation. On a trial fitting, I noticed:

1. The holes on the heart-shaped spring bolt plate and pivot bolt were not perfectly aligned. So I decided to expand the through hole to slot hole so that the threaded hole can accept the bolt fixing the chain roller. Oh, what a German quality!

2. The seating surface of the original bolt fixing the chain roller was not seated at all at the bracket hole.This was due to the lack of length of the thread part of the original bolt. The best solution should have been forming 2 or 3 more threads on the original bolt with die, but I went in an easy way. I decided to place the spacer (originally placed between the chain roller and the flange nut) under the bolt head. When I happent to replace the worn chain roller in the future, I might put a large diameter spacer or prepare a special bolt. This is a workaround for now.

Well, this might be the hardest part, the return spring installation. I am sure that I used to have a special tool (picture), but I couldn't find out the one in my garage at that time

I put the bike on the table lift, secured front wheel by wheel vise, put the paddock stand under the swing arm, removed rear wheel to make space for work, strapped the center stand at fully retracted position. And then I pulled the end of the springs one by one with T-shaped spring setting tool to settle the springs at the post. Although I highly recommend to use a dedicated spring installation tool, but this is what I did without using one. If you can secure the front wheel and the swing arm, you can ease the work. The "ratchet tie down method" will work fine with the rear wheel removed.

Well, the real hardest part of this installation was to clear the surface of the table lift occupied by immovable project bike

Do any of GS owners with SW-Motech's center stand experience such problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181008_144937.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	11608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_134135.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	11610   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT11.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	11612   Click image for larger version

Name:	ab-7.png
Views:	82
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	11614  

1994 F650 Funduro (sold)
2000 F650GS (going to say goodbye)
2017 G310GS (new)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM

HI Sam
Chris here. I purchased the SW Motech center stand and have had at least one of the same issues... the spring bolt plate was obviously machined a bit off, as it will not allow the roller bolt to pass through both holes. It seems the hole is off by about a 16th of an inch... Because of this, I don't know if I will have the same issue with the bolt threads, but it sounds likely. I purchased mine through Twisted Throttle and I was curious where you bought yours from and if you addressed it with them. You sound much more mechanically inclined than myself, so I was wondering if I should just take the plate and bolt to a local machine shop and have the hole enlarged and two more threads added to the bolt, for a small fee... would that fix the problem to avoid the hassle of returning it to TT and receiving another one with the same issue?
This has been very frustrating, to say the least and I appreciate any help you can provide.

2018 G310GS (Black)

Last edited by Telecaster; 05-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
I do not have any experience with a centerstand for a gs because I do have a 310r.
Still iím Interested in a centerstand for the 310 r But ....... nobody is producing this item.
I looked at your pictures and my suggestion would be ....... your chain needs some grease ;-)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
HI Sam
Chris here. I purchased the SW Motech center stand and have had at least one of the same issues... the spring bolt plate was obviously machined a bit off, as it will not allow the roller bolt to pass through both holes. It seems the hole is off by about a 16th of an inch... Because of this, I don't know if I will have the same issue with the bolt threads, but it sounds likely. I purchased mine through Twisted Throttle and I was curious where you bought yours from and if you addressed it with them. You sound much more mechanically inclined than myself, so I was wondering if I should just take the plate and bolt to a local machine shop and have the hole enlarged and two more threads added to the bolt, for a small fee... would that fix the problem to avoid the hassle of returning it to TT and receiving another one with the same issue?
This has been very frustrating, to say the least and I appreciate any help you can provide.

2018 G310GS (Black)
Hi Telecaster,

I got mine from SD MOTO in France last August. It was the original pre-recall version; item No. HPS.07.862.10000/B. As you may know, SW discontinued this model last fall to address the recalled side stand, and recently reintroduced a new version; HPS.07.862.10001/B.

The bad news is that the spring bolt plate remains unchanged (in terms of the individual part number). This means that the current model may have the same issue.

When I found the issue, I decided not to contact them to avoid the hassle of return negotiations, and to go 'actual-thing matching' installation.

I did the job by myself, but it'll be a good idea to take the spring bolt plate to your local machine shop to get the job done. However, you must be cautious when adding some more threads to the retaining bolt, as the idea has never been proven.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
I do not have any experience with a centerstand for a gs because I do have a 310r.
Still iím Interested in a centerstand for the 310 r But ....... nobody is producing this item.
I looked at your pictures and my suggestion would be ....... your chain needs some grease ;-)
Ouch, don't mention it, Bas

1994 F650 Funduro (sold)
2000 F650GS (going to say goodbye)
2017 G310GS (new)