My Story: Anxiously Awaiting for My G310GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By delB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

My Story: Anxiously Awaiting for My G310GS

The BMW G310GS is the motorcycle I have been waiting for BMW to produce and it is finally here.

Eleven years ago I decided I wanted to own a motorcycle but would not consider myself handy with a toolset at the time. My hesistency was driven primarily about all the things that could go wrong and maintenance I would not be able to easily perform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

The Adventure Motorcycle I Need...

The BMW G310GS is the motorcycle I have been waiting for BMW to produce and it is finally here.

Eleven years ago I decided I wanted to own a motorcycle but would not consider myself handy with a toolset at the time. My hesistency was driven primarily about all the things that could go wrong and maintenance I would not be able to easily perform.

I considered a Honda, Kawasaki, and Triumph but was not impressed with the dealers or the service network. After completing several training courses and obtaining my motorcycle endorsement, I went to my local BMW Motorrad dealer, ordered a BMW F800ST, and had it delivered to my home. While there have been some warranty related fixes needed over the ownership period, I enjoy the dedicated dealership network and technicians they provide.

Having owned several BMW family products, the functionality is very similar and the overall quality is worth the premium price. The F800ST has taken me on many 500+ mile journeys to Hilton Head, SC and the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC safely and reliably. BMW is very good at sweating the details and it shows in all their products on offer. 10 years later, I have acquired the technical skills to maintain / service the motorcycle and have the confidence to do the same on my next motorcycle.

2018 - My Next Journey
While my F800ST remains at my home in the Carolinas, I wanted a new motorcycle for my California home for some trail riding and could not make sense of doing this on a heavy adventure motorcycle. Also, I wanted to have the flexibility to take the bike on a hitch mounted carrier on my SUV or motorhome when needed.

The G310GS seems to be the right bike for the job and hope it will be as reliable as the other BMW family products I still own. I spoke to a couple of dealers in Australia (have had the bike for a while) to get a sense for when we will see GS 310-specific accessories (from BMW) and this is still an unknown.

BMW partners with several organizations (RawHyde Adventures) if one is interested in gaining some experience / training in Adventure Riding.

While I don't expect the G310GS to perform heavy duty work cycles, I believe the bike can perform well on single trails where the bigger bikes are a bit cumbersome

How do others plan to use their G310GS and what other bikes have you considered?

Last edited by MotoGS; 02-04-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 AM

Mine is replacing an F650GS. It'll mostly be performing the same duties. Primarily commuting, with some added road trips and fire road exploration. Maybe some single track here and there. It's so much easier to push around off-road.

Sorry about the sideways picture. This forum resizes and flips it half the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_150750_1517808896256.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	4514  
gregtixa likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page