Finally got my G310GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Zente
  • 2 Post By Zente

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Finally got my G310GS

After waiting for about 9 months, I picked up my new G310GS today. All I can say is that I am like a 5 year old in a candy store ( I'm 63 ). I picked it up around 2:30pm and by 4:15pm had about 40 miles on it and had stopped 3 times to show it to the people that helped me out during my wait. I found shifting really difficult - not due to mechanical issues but the shift lever was set too far below the foot peg. I was using the sole welt on the side of my boot to up shift as I could not get my toe under the lever. Once I got home I have now corrected that issue. What a Blast it is to ride. I will have trouble keeping the revs down for the break in period. I am going to be riding it up to LA ( from San Diego, CA ) for a doctors appointment Monday morning around 5:30 am ( appointment is at 9am ) that will put about 240 miles total on it in the one trip. I hope everyone is enjoying their bikes as much as I am. If anyone is in my neck of the woods give me a yell sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:23 AM

Garage
Welcome Zente and congratulations on finally picking up this sweet ride.

My admiration keeps growing as the miles pile on. They run in nicely to mature into a very smooth piece of kit.

The garage

2018 BMW G310 GS (Goose) - Akrapovic Carbon exhaust, Barkbusters, RZM Adjustable levers, Rally Raid Touring screen, Rally Raid bar risers, Hepco Becker engine guards and Orbit C-Bow side cases, SW-Motech ION Tank Bag, SW-Motech ION pegs, Shad rack mount plate and top box.
2019 Honda CB500X
2018 BMW R1200GS Tour
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM

How did you adjust the shift lever? I recently sat on a G310GS at a show and it was great, managed to balance fine on it but I didn't think to check the shift peddle.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

@LiquidCool The process is super easy although a bit close fitting. You need 2 open ended 10mm wrenches. There is a double threaded bolt with jam nuts on both ends between the lever and the linkage. You should be able to see it easily. On the end facing, the shift peddle, the end link will have a notch for the 10mm wrench. The jam nut needs to be loosened and then you can turn the double threaded bolt with your fingers. Turn the bolt and you will see the lever raise or fall depending on the direction you turn it. Once the lever is adjusted to your liking spin the jam nut back up against the end link and lock it down tight. Check the opposite end jam nut as well as it may need to be tightened up against that end link as well. ( This is the one with very close quarters and may be difficult to get your wrench on. ) Once both jam nuts are secure test to see if everything feels better and put a drop of lock tight on the jam nut threads to help them stay put.
That is all there is to it. If you need pictures I will take some later if it will help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Garage
Nice! I also just got mine. Picked up mine at Long Beach Saturday morning and rode 70 miles! For now only smiles!!

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Congrats and enjoy the bike hope you have no winther weather
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Of course not only a sun burning on your head ..lol..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zente View Post
@LiquidCool The process is super easy although a bit close fitting. You need 2 open ended 10mm wrenches. There is a double threaded bolt with jam nuts on both ends between the lever and the linkage. You should be able to see it easily. On the end facing, the shift peddle, the end link will have a notch for the 10mm wrench. The jam nut needs to be loosened and then you can turn the double threaded bolt with your fingers. Turn the bolt and you will see the lever raise or fall depending on the direction you turn it. Once the lever is adjusted to your liking spin the jam nut back up against the end link and lock it down tight. Check the opposite end jam nut as well as it may need to be tightened up against that end link as well. ( This is the one with very close quarters and may be difficult to get your wrench on. ) Once both jam nuts are secure test to see if everything feels better and put a drop of lock tight on the jam nut threads to help them stay put.
That is all there is to it. If you need pictures I will take some later if it will help.
Hello Zente! good to hear you could wait for 9 months i just showed your post to my girlfriend and explained to her that even though i am 35 i was also jumping up and down like a five year old when i got my 310R. i have one question though, the two wrenches you mentioned were they on the kit provided with the motorcycle? i got 2 of those with 12mm on the other side and i thought it was odd since i also needed a 14mm and didnt came on the kit. i was just wondering if the kit was different in every country

--------------------------
  • Honda ZB 50 (Sold and missed)
  • Honda MB 100 (Sold)
  • Honda NX 250 (Sold)
  • Suzuki DR 350 (Sold)
  • Yamaha Thundercat 600 (Sold)
  • Suzuki GSX R600 (Sold)
  • Honda Transalp V600 (Sold)
  • BMW 310R
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

@maxibarrios No I have my own sets of tools that I use when at home. I have done about everything mechanical from the time I was 8 or 9 years old. Auto, Motorcycle, Truck, Boats, even Aircraft and Missile systems. So I have way too many tools. To be honest, I have not even looked in the supplied tool kit yet. I am actually afraid what I might find and have to put together my own kit for the bike ( most likely adding 10 - 20 lbs of weight ).
Tickster and maxibarrios like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page