top case hack - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
top case hack

I'm new to the motorcycle luggage world so I am looking for some feedback. I want to add a small top case, but don't love the rounded BMW light case and don't yet want to pay for the square hard cases plus adapters...

I bought this 20 inch hard case (like a generic pelican case) for $30 before Christmas to use as a travel gun case, but wound up getting a different one. It's from Sam's Club (walmart) and has approx 25L of storage. And I can put two padlocks on it. The pics are just of it sitting, but any reason I can't just drill holes to match the existing rack mount holes? Besides the convenience of quick removal and reason not to do it? I really like the square look and size. I know at least on other user on here did this with a pelican case, but I wanted to float the question out before I drill it...

So what do you think? Pro's/Con's?

from the website:
-polypropylene
-Outside dimensions: 19.78" x 15.77" x 7.41" Inside dimensions: 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
-“Pick and Pluck” foam cubes inside box allow for customization of space and padding
-Shock-proof protection against damage if shaken
-Protection from extreme amounts of pressure
-Moisture-proof helps prevent rusting; External equalization valve balances internal and external air pressure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6927.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	6833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6928.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	6841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6929.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	6849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6930.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	6857  
Defender likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS - Pearl White Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM

The only cons I can think of are that you can’t quickly and easily dismount it, and that it won’t hold a whole lot of stuff. But that second con is also a plus, IMO. Too much weight that far back can easily mess with your bike’s handling.
Ohio310GS likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:33 AM

not a bad idea if you ask me. try using inox butterfly nuts and bolts.
Ohio310GS likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, so now I'm thinking about another way... which would make it relatively quick release... I mount a couple of pieces of this Aluminium T-rails fixed on the luggage rack, then drill into the box and slide these knob fasteners on the track and tighten from the inside. not "quick" dismount but pretty quick... just 4 knobs to loosen...

I'm going to play with the idea but I welcome all feedback...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	6865  

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio310GS View Post
I'm new to the motorcycle luggage world so I am looking for some feedback. I want to add a small top case, but don't love the rounded BMW light case and don't yet want to pay for the square hard cases plus adapters...

I bought this 20 inch hard case (like a generic pelican case) for $30 before Christmas to use as a travel gun case, but wound up getting a different one. It's from Sam's Club (walmart) and has approx 25L of storage. And I can put two padlocks on it. The pics are just of it sitting, but any reason I can't just drill holes to match the existing rack mount holes? Besides the convenience of quick removal and reason not to do it? I really like the square look and size. I know at least on other user on here did this with a pelican case, but I wanted to float the question out before I drill it...

from the website:
-polypropylene
-Outside dimensions: 19.78" x 15.77" x 7.41" Inside dimensions: 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
-“Pick and Pluck” foam cubes inside box allow for customization of space and padding
-Moisture-proof helps prevent rusting; External equalization valve balances internal and external air pressure
I have done the same thing. I also don't like the look of the big round cases and I think that the bike is too small for the big boxes as well. I bought an used Pelican on ebay for 50 bucks and simply attached to the rack with 4 bolts. Yes, it's not quick release, but I don't need to take it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4385.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	6873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4383.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	6881  

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtixa View Post
I have done the same thing. I also don't like the look of the big round cases and I think that the bike is too small for the big boxes as well. I bought an used Pelican on ebay for 50 bucks and simply attached to the rack with 4 bolts. Yes, it's not quick release, but I don't need to take it out.

Awesome, I knew I saw that on here, but I forgot where. Thanks, I think it looks great!
gregtixa likes this.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
OK, so now I'm thinking about another way... which would make it relatively quick release... I mount a couple of pieces of this Aluminium T-rails fixed on the luggage rack, then drill into the box and slide these knob fasteners on the track and tighten from the inside. not "quick" dismount but pretty quick... just 4 knobs to loosen...

I'm going to play with the idea but I welcome all feedback...
yeap maybe a t-rail setup is a good solution,(depending on the weight that you plan to store in the box and also what kind of riding you aim at) but after all, only trial and error can answer these questions.
by the way, have you seen the rotopax system? i think is a good solution although not exactly low-cost
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I just went and looked and I'll have to put the tracks at an angle (the holes aren't straight inline) which changes the true quick release solution (i.e. loosen 4 knobs and slide off), but what I think I'm going to do is put a bolt up through the 4 mount holes, washer on top, then a locking nut so they will always be there. Finally, drill the holes in the box to match and place the box on (sitting on the nuts) and then use the knobs to attach, so I wouldn't need tools to remove, but it would be relatively quick to remove when needed.

I'll keep the forum posted.

But don't stop chiming in

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:

from the website:
-polypropylene
I put a 35 litre Kappa on my GS. The top plate matches up really good with the stock rack. I can fit a full face helmet and my joe rocket jacket in there and lock it. It is monokey so comes off with the push of a button. I don’t think it overpowers the bike at all. I agree that the stock bmw case is a bit on the fugly side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD584D22-A910-47A3-9F74-0C686659AC2C_1523409906044.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	6913   Click image for larger version

Name:	70DD62FD-3515-4CC6-B11E-C6AFB1E9E306_1523409948595.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	6921  
Defender and Ohio310GS like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So here's what I have so far... I'll go later to Home Depot and see if can get some 1/4-20 knobs. I'll put a washer and rubber washer on top of these and then drop the case on top. Luckily the underside of the rack is machined with bolt head drop ins. Hadn't looked underneath
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7195.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	6929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7196.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	6937  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version