• 1 Post By BillCT
  • 1 Post By BillCT
  • 2 Post By BillCT
  • 1 Post By BillCT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Hella/DIN socket

Hey all -

I am considering adding a DIN socket, and after looking for a nice protected area close to the bars, I noticed a nice round cutout on the frame that supports the left side front fairing. When sitting on the bike, turn the bars full lock right, and it's down on the left side. Based on the fork clearance, I think a 90 degree plug would be needed, but looks like a nice spot for an outlet for all sorts of adapters (air pump, heated gear, usb charging, etc).

Anyone use this spot yet? Is the hole large enough for a DIN socket? Quick Googling says the hole need to be 11/16 inch (+/- 17mm?) for the socket. Pros or cons to this location?

Brainstorming here - don't have the bike close by to measure the hole...

Thanks.
Defender likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Garage
Question

That's a good find, I've not looked at it yet, but my concern would be if anything plugged in would be vulnerable when the steering is turned in that direction?

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

So I’m updating my own thread here...

Just measured the “hole” with some calipers. About 19mm. I think I will procede with the idea! Hard to get an exact measurement on the clearance between the “hole” and the forks, but my calculated eye says a right angle DIN plug into this socket location will easily clear the forks. Also, the “hole” is located at the very end of the left fork lock sweep, but it does have about a 45 degree angle to it (meaning the hole opening is neither vertical nor horizontal). With a little bit of cable length, and a few zip ties to secure the lead, I see this as a viable option...

If all else fails, I’ll look to the blanks on either side of the dash screen.

Off to Amazon for some bits! Stay tuned...
Defender likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Picture for reference. Lower left of picture shows “hole” location...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0795FD8A-3551-4382-AADF-0724B6528951.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	7298  
Defender likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Received a bunch of “bits” from the Brown truck today! Dry fitted for clearance, etc. Due to the framework where the “hole” is, I found I needed some risers/spacers for the socket so the spring loaded socket cap would clear the slightly “u” shaped frame hole, and also allow the proper socket cap opening orientation so it would not interfere with the forks on full lock. Two regular 3/4 inch garden hose washers will do the trick! Just need about 1/4 inch rise...

I decided to wire directly to the battery with a fused connection so I could have both continuous power with bike running or not, and also to use the socket for a quick battery tender plug-in (that’s what I intend to use the 90 degree plug base is for).

With this wiring choice (instead of using the switched options plug in the dash area), I chose the Optimate dual USB plug as my interface, which has an automatic low battery voltage shut off, and a timer shut off where the Optimate shuts off 3 hours after the engine is turned off. Hoping this will be my insurance if I “forget” to turn off/unplug whatever I have plugged in while out and about.

Will assemble tomorrow and report back with pros and cons - basically answer “does this work?”

Picture of the “bits” for various install options at the ready:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E62B9388-426C-4019-9C98-4469FD57FC53.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	7553  
Defender and greekgeek like this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
2014 Honda CB500x
2014 Honda CRF250L
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Final Update:

FAILURE!

Liked the location, and really wanted to make this work, but the angle of the hole cutout is just not right for a USB plug.

The upper forks do not allow anything to be plugged in without some contact at full lock. No probplem if it was just a static plug like a battery tender. Thought the Optimate plug would allow at least the one usb outlet at 90 degrees to work, but even the Optimate plug is touched by the upper forks at fork lock.

I originally measured what I could, and “eyeballed” the rest, and was optimistic. Now I physically have all the pieces, tried a number of combinations, and verified this will not work for me. Can’t have anything contacting the fork/handlebar sweep at all, and I’m not going through all of this just to have a battery tender plug in!

I had fun, and got to know my bike a bit better, so not a total waste of time.
Defender likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
2014 Honda CB500x
2014 Honda CRF250L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page