My 4650 mile trek across the USA - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
My 4650 mile trek across the USA

Well lets start saying that this trip was to see my grandson in Memphis Tennessee for his 5th birthday, who I have not seen in almost 2 years. I am 63 years old and traveled alone on my new G310GS which has only 3 modifications. I added an accessory socket into the dash panel, a set of cheap brush guards ( which I intend to replace soon ), and a Rally Raid Adventure windscreen. Thanks to Everyone at Rally Raid and Jenny X for helping me out so I got the windscreen in time for my trip. I kitted my bike out with the following items that were kept to a minimum ( yea right ).

Camping equipment and provisions:
Small backpacking 1-2 person tent REI
1" thick self inflating sleeping pad Thermorest
15 degree sleeping bag older Coleman
SnowPeak Titanium cook set ( pot, pan, lids, cup, and utensils, with 2 fuel containers and stove
Muli-tool and Large Swiss army knife
2 750ml aluminum water bottles
1 quart military canteen
100 feet paracord
1 Bic lighter and firestriker
1 small led flashlight and 2 emergency flashing beacons ( with infra-red for night-vision )
2 large plastic shop / industrial garbage bags
1 microfiber cloth
2 lbs trail mix, 1/2 pound rice, beef and chicken bouillon cubes, Ramon noddles, 1 can tuna, 1 can chicken, packets of instant coffee, tea, sugar, salt and pepper, catsup, and soy sauce

Carriers:
Various Molle styled pouches and holders
Spec-Ops Backpack with Molle connections everywhere
Rubber strapping with snap-lock connectors

Clothing:
2 pants, 3 tee shirts, 3 under ware, 3 pairs socks, 2 sweatshirts, 1 pair of hiking shoes

Riding Gear:
Klim Outrider pants with D3O armor in knees and hips
Klim Goretex Blade jacket with D3O armor in back, elbows, and shoulders
AlpineStars SP8 gloves
MSR Boots with D3O armor in ankles and bottom of foot
Military ( army ) full Rain Suit
CycleGear Freeze out glove liners and one piece body suit.
CycleGear Bilt Techno 2 Evolution Modular helmet with bluetooth communication system linked to my phone and gps
GoPro 5 Black with 3 batteries, charger, 128gb memory card, and a wireless wifi 1tb hard drive.

Motorcycle Gear:
1 qt oil
1 small can Bel-rey chain lube
1 small can wd-40
3 shop rags
Stop&Go tubeless tire repair kit with 12 volt air pump ( mushroom type plugs that are great )
Abus Alarm Disc brake lock
Old Phone used as GPS on Ram Mount

Total weight of gear not including what I was wearing 46 pounds ( about 21 kilos )

I adjusted the rear preload to 6 and everything is strapped together with Molle connections and rubber straps and locking connectors. Checked everything lubed the chain and set off from southern California on what would be a 22 day trip ( 13 days riding and 9 with friends and family ) covering 8 states and around 4650 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trip bike 1.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	7329  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Wow that's a lot of gear. Maybe check into some hard side bags something like the big GS's have. Have you already finished your trip?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

@Tactical
Yep trip is over. Didn't want to add panniers as they make lane splitting / white lining in California much more difficult by making the bike wider. If I find some light enough and easily removable I might think about it. Cost is also a hindrance as I am on a fixed income. And actually it is not alot of gear if you are camping about 2/3rds of what you see in the picture is directly related to camping. If I intended on staying in hotels / motels I would have only taken what would fit in the Spec-Ops backpack.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 AM

I'm a dozen years older and my trip plans not quite as ambitious, but needless to say, any trip of over a few days will require almost as much stuff. Did you use a drybag, tank bag or what? Also did you just strap everything to the luggage rack? I'm looking hard at a 22 liter tank bag along with a 25 First Gear dry bag on the seat. Any suggestions from an obvious expert.
Thanks

Bob
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Well I'm still a whole year younger than you, Zente. But 4650 miles? That's a bunch!

How did that load act in a stiff crosswind? I'd be inclined to try to keep everything a little lower, but I agree that hard panniers wouldn't be ideal on a bike this light. My setup is a pair of Enduristan Blizzard L soft panniers and a Wolfman duffel thrown across the seat. Those plus a locking Pelican case gives me about 70 liters of storage.

I tested the setup last month on an overnighter out to the coast. But I had an old packing list from a 3-week, cold weather trip I took a few years ago, and even though I was only staying out for one night, I packed for that 3-week trip. Everything fit, with room to spare. But of course I wasn't camping.

Next week I head down to Death Valley to give my setup a real test.
bbbelanger and Tukemeister like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Zente. Well Done You!. That is one **** of a road trip. I did a 250mile round trip on my 310R the other day and I was shattered. I'm 67, but hey compared to some on this forum, wer'e only spring chickens!

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Didn't think about that. You guys are like the only state where lane splitting is legal. What was your average speed and miles per tank?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Zente. Well Done You!. That is one **** of a road trip. I did a 250mile round trip on my 310R the other day and I was shattered. I'm 67, but hey compared to some on this forum, wer'e only spring chickens!
I rode around all day yesterday maybe 200 miles and I have bad knees. Today I'm paying for it but I still rode to work.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

@Old and Slow
The image I posted is exactly as I traveled. I didn't use a drybag as everything in the Spec-Ops bag ( mostly clothes ) was inside a large heavy duty trash bag in case of rain. The Old Phone I use as my GPS is in a water resistant case and all the camping gear is in water resistant stuff sacks ( I sprayed them all down with water repellent ) etc. Yes everything was strapped together and to the luggage rack with Rubber straps with snap lock fasteners. The rubber straps would allow some movement of the gear but would pull back into position a second later. They also allowed easy access to the stowed gear.
@WoodWorks
I wanted to keep things lower but without spending a bunch of cash, everything I had, would have hung in such a way as to block or hinder the view of the turn signals so the option was to put light objects on top of the Spec-Ops bag to keep the weight as low as possible. As for the side wind issue well lets just say at times it was a challenge, but I cant say it would have much different with just the height of the Spec-Ops bag and panniers as I was still most likely the largest wind catcher. I did go through areas of 30 to 50 mph winds from head on and to the side and it did take a toll on me. But I still rode around 250 miles in that type of weather in a single day. Running down a back water roadway at 60 - 70 mph at an angle of about 15 degrees that pounds you and then lets up over and over is a lot of work.
WoodWorks and Old and Slow like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:18 PM

WOW, amazing. After riding bigger BMW's for 30+ years I was curious how the 310 would be on a longer trip and dang it sounds very good.

Glad you had such a wonderful trip and THANKS for the info.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page