Side stand issue? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Side stand issue?

BMW NA has put a 2-to-6 week hold on the delivery of new models of the 310GS because of an issue with the side stand.

A friend who has owned a 310GS for some time thinks it could be that riders are mounting their bikes by standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and then swinging over the saddle. The side stand is not made for riders to do that. They should lift the side stand up and then mount the bike. Just his thought, but it makes sense.
angiedave and oliverider like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:07 AM

from ADVRIDER.com:
BMW Motorrad have just announced a worldwide STOP on delivery of the G 310 R and G 310 GS.

Delivery Stop:
All vehicles that are marked with this special defect code are subject to a delivery stop. It is not allowed to put them into circulation or deliver them to customers. Vehicles that are already put in circulation or delivered to customers are not subject of this delivery stop. The customer who have taken delivery can still continue to ride these motorcycles.

Fact:
On G310-models the side stand connection might bend or, in extreme case, brake.

Effect:
It is not possible to completely rule out an insecure standing position of the vehicle if this fault occurs.

Measure:
On affected vehicles the side stand connection will be checked for prior damage and an additional bearing block for reinforcement will be installed.

Procedure / Reimbursement:
The SI (00 00 46 33 00) with all further details is expected in CW25/2018.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM

I hope the recall is before my holliday ...........
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:02 AM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Jeff ... first off mounting an Adventure bike is typically done just like that. Standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and lifting your leg over the bike and then sitting down and raising the side stand. Every Adventure rider I know mounts and dismounts just like that. I would like to see most people mount an Adventure bike with top boxes, Panniers and other compartments mount it any other way. I have never heard of a side stand breaking under that type of load on any other adventure motorcycle. To say the current side stand is not designed for that kind of load is quite obvious at this point but the typical side stand is engineered with 2 to 5 times the actual load requirements for safety, and thus will support mounting the motorcycle by standing on the foot peg.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 AM

On the G310R, the bike does lean over too far when on the side stand and it actually takes a bit of an effort to right it when you get on it. It seems that more weight is then transferred to the side stand bracket when using it. One solution that may be helpful is a slightly longer side stand. I have been trying out a mini ice hockey puck on the foot of the side stand and it is better but I still haven't perfected the design yet.
XRaiders likes this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zente View Post
Jeff ... first off mounting an Adventure bike is typically done just like that. Standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and lifting your leg over the bike and then sitting down and raising the side stand. Every Adventure rider I know mounts and dismounts just like that. I would like to see most people mount an Adventure bike with top boxes, Panniers and other compartments mount it any other way. I have never heard of a side stand breaking under that type of load on any other adventure motorcycle. To say the current side stand is not designed for that kind of load is quite obvious at this point but the typical side stand is engineered with 2 to 5 times the actual load requirements for safety, and thus will support mounting the motorcycle by standing on the foot peg.
Glad to hear I’m not the only one that needs to step on the foot peg to mount the bike!
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zente View Post
Jeff ... first off mounting an Adventure bike is typically done just like that. Standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and lifting your leg over the bike and then sitting down and raising the side stand. Every Adventure rider I know mounts and dismounts just like that.
I’ve owned 3 GSs now, have traveled (fully loaded) all over the US, Canada, and Mexico on them, and have never mounted them by standing on the pegs. So it’s certainly not typical. And the fact that BMW specifically tells us in their user’s guides not to do that should be a clue that they don’t design their side stands with that in mind.

But clearly they need to rethink that.
oliverider likes this.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
I’ve owned 3 GSs now, have traveled (fully loaded) all over the US, Canada, and Mexico on them, and have never mounted them by standing on the pegs.
You, Sir, obviously have more leg than the average bear. I'm wearing a 28" inseam and the only way I can get on the bike is to stand on the peg.

95K miles on an '03 VStrom, a similar amount on a '93 GSX1100G, 36K (so far) on a '13 Tiger Explorer and 30K on assorted rental 1150 & 1200 GSes with no issues. Why would I expect this to be an issue? Especially from a major marque.

I take that back - I can slide a leg over the seat with one foot on the ground, but that results in a prolonged session with my weight cantilevered even further out than just standing on the peg keeping my weight centered. And, as I approach 73 years all too rapidly, I'm losing what little flexibility I had.
mtwashington likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:10 PM

Directly from the owners manual (if anyone is interested):

Chapter 6, pg 53, 54
Parking your Motorcycle
Side stand
Switch off the engine.
On a gradient, the motorcycle
should always face uphill; se-
lect 1st gear.
ATTENTION
Poor ground underneath the stand
Risk of damage to parts if vehicle topples
Always check that the ground under the stand is level and firm.
Extend the side stand and prop the motorcycle on the stand.
ATTENTION
Additional weight placing strain on the side stand
Risk of damage to parts if vehicle topples
Do not sit or lean on the vehicle while it is propped on the side stand.
If the camber of the roadway permits, turn the handlebars all the way to the left.

I admit I always used the peg to mount. NEVER happened on any other bike Iíve owned. Might be rethinking this going forward...

2018 BMW G310GS
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
2014 Honda CB500x
2014 Honda CRF250L
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
You, Sir, obviously have more leg than the average bear. I'm wearing a 28" inseam and the only way I can get on the bike is to stand on the peg.
Dunno how I fit into the leg length demographic. But my inseam is 32 inches.
Quote:
And, as I approach 73 years all too rapidly, I'm losing what little flexibility I had.
At 62, I'm rapidly catching up to you, Michael. As long as my leg kick is still there, I'm good to go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page