Side Mirrors. - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Side Mirrors.

Has anyone changed the side mirrors on their GS to get rid of the vibration? Mine are nearly useless as speeds over 85km as they vibrate so much I can't see anything behind except a blur.

Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Has anyone changed the side mirrors on their GS to get rid of the vibration? Mine are nearly useless as speeds over 85km as they vibrate so much I can't see anything behind except a blur.

The 310 should have come with the lower seat from the start as it is an "Entry Level" bike for newcomers. Instead they put on a taller seat so shorter rider would have to pay an additional $400 plus for a lowers seat. Kawasaki got it right with the X300 Versys, BMW should have followed the lead.

I am not going to pay $400+ for a seat. I would rather get the upgraded rear shock from Rally-raid products for about $500 that can lower the seat height and provide a better suspension.

The STD seat = 32.9" LOW = 32.3" Kawasaki X-300 Versys = 32.1" are you listening BMW?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I don't know how that answer got there.....

In USA 53Mph = 85Kph and 80Mph = 129Kph and I do not have any problems at those speeds. granted road conditions may be different.
1) are mirrors loose at all
2) Is engine speed high (RPM)? you should be in 5th or 6th gear at those speeds
3) Do you have too much preload on rear shock? I weigh 180Lbs = 81.6Kg and I have rear shock at lowest level. I am going to guess that you weigh less than I do, so make sure shock is at lowest setting. If it is too high you bike cannot absorb as muck shock from the road which may seem like vibration.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:

In USA 53Mph = 85Kph and 80Mph = 129Kph and I do not have any problems at those speeds. granted road conditions may be different.
3) Do you have too much preload on rear shock? I weigh 180Lbs = 81.6Kg and I have rear shock at lowest level. I am going to guess that you weigh less than I do, so make sure shock is at lowest setting. If it is too high you bike cannot absorb as muck shock from the road which may seem like vibration.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Hi Charles.
thanks for your comments,
FYI.
1) mirrors are tight.
2) vibration is in the mirrors at higher speeds (in 5th & 6th gear at 6,500 -7,000Rpm +)
(speeds below 80Kph not much vibration ) at anything over 110Kph forget it.. i see nothing behind .
3) the rear shock is already set at lowest setting as I'm 78kg.

I have really liked this bike, but this is starting to become an issue for me that I don't like. It may even push me to sell the bike and look for something else as where I live I can't avoid having to do motorway riding to get to some of the better back roads where this bike is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Dave,
Selling the bike because the mirrors vibrate seems to be a bit extreme in my mind.
There are many options.
Rubber dampers, will help.
This bike is a bit vibey up in the higher RPM's, so I too agree the mirrors get a bit blurry.
Mirror extensions with the rubber dampers have helped others here.
Or just trying some alternative types of dampened mirrors may be a way to go.
Hope you find a solution other than selling the whole bike.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Hi Tickster,
Thanks for the encouragement
yes your right.. its an extreme reaction (but thats me) haha..
Can you share a link that shows the type of rubber dampers you mentioned or point me in right direction online to find them.

thanks in advance.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickster View Post
Dave,
Selling the bike because the mirrors vibrate seems to be a bit extreme in my mind.
There are many options.
Rubber dampers, will help.
This bike is a bit vibey up in the higher RPM's, so I too agree the mirrors get a bit blurry.
Mirror extensions with the rubber dampers have helped others here.
Or just trying some alternative types of dampened mirrors may be a way to go.
Hope you find a solution other than selling the whole bike.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:

You're going to be hard pressed to find functional mirrors for the bike. The single cylinder makes the bike buzz and anything mounted to the handlebars will buzz. Shoulder checks will become your friend.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
Quote:

The 310 should have come with the lower seat from the start as it is an "Entry Level" bike for newcomers. Instead they put on a taller seat so shorter rider would have to pay an additional $400 plus for a lowers seat. Kawasaki got it right with the X300 Versys, BMW should have followed the lead.

I am not going to pay $400+ for a seat. I would rather get the upgraded rear shock from Rally-raid products for about $500 that can lower the seat height and provide a better suspension.

The STD seat = 32.9" LOW = 32.3" Kawasaki X-300 Versys = 32.1" are you listening BMW?
BMW is not listening to you. They didn't design it to force people to buy an expensive lower seat. They designed it because that is the ideal height their designers came up with. BMWs have a history of being fairly tall bikes. If you have a problem with the height maybe the bike is not for you.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1011r View Post
BMW is not listening to you. They didn't design it to force people to buy an expensive lower seat. They designed it because that is the ideal height their designers came up with. BMWs have a history of being fairly tall bikes. If you have a problem with the height maybe the bike is not for you.
I agree totally.
Those tall Germans like their bikes that way too!
Have you ever sat on a GS 1200 Adventure?
I can barely get my toes on the ground.
Both my 1200's the LT and GT were a stretch,
I had to make sure I had my high heels on
when riding those.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page