Interesting Issue today on my GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Interesting Issue today on my GS

Today while riding my 2018 G310GS along Pacific Coast Hwy in Southern California at about 45 mph I was approaching a stop light. I pulled the clutch in and the motor died. Still had head light on, indicators worked fine, and instrument panel was still lit up and operational. I pulled over and checked all switches and turned the key off then back on, tried to start the bike and nothing happened. All lights etc still worked but a quick engine light flashed and went off, followed by a constant battery symbol. I opened the seat and checked the battery connections and all were tight. I switched all the switches on and off a couple times in case something was stuck. I raised and lowered the kick stand and checked to see if the wire to the kick stand switch was damaged. Everything looked good but still nothing. I called both BMW roadside assistance and AAA and told BMW the problem so it would be documented had AAA tow me to my house. BMW would only tow it to the dealership which is of course is closed Sundays and Mondays and would have left the bike outside the dealership for 2 days and nights which was unacceptable. BMW Roadside Assistance said since it was documented and recorded they would be glad to pick the bike up from my house Tuesday and take it to the dealership if the Dealership couldn't or wouldn't pick it up on their own. Once home I checked the battery for charge and it showed 12.6 volts on the multimeter but still would not start.

My bike was purchased Feb 27th 2018 and currently has a little over 9100 miles on it. Both services were performed by my dealer and we will see what happens from here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Exact same thing happened to me today. Had Roadside assistance bring it and me to nearest dealer, then had to borrow my Sister in Law's car to get back home 300km from there.

Will call dealer tomorrow to see what is what. Didn't have multimeter with me so can't say what was going on. But bike was doing exact same thing.

I had forgotten it with the key on after dropping the side stand while in 1st. This morning, would not start at beginning, but after eliminating all fail safe switches (Stand, key, Neutral and Kill) it did start. After that I would have thought it would have recharged with the Alternator.....

Again, will see tomorrow
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zente View Post
Once home I checked the battery for charge and it showed 12.6 volts on the multimeter but still would not start.
Did you check the voltage with the key on?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

No I didn't but will check that tomorrow. But can't see how it would discharge the battery as I had been riding it for around 3 and a half hours before this happened. I figure it is one of 3 most probable causes, bad battery, bad alternator, or some kind of switch problem. Time will tell have to wait till Tuesday before the dealer is open.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zente View Post
No I didn't but will check that tomorrow. But can't see how it would discharge the battery as I had been riding it for around 3 and a half hours before this happened. I figure it is one of 3 most probable causes, bad battery, bad alternator, or some kind of switch problem. Time will tell have to wait till Tuesday before the dealer is open.
I was just thinking that if the battery voltage drops a lot with the load of the headlight it could be bad chemically. No way to check the specific gravity an a AGM battery. If it was the alt. I would hope you would get a warning light for that. Bad safety switch is a very likely issue if you don't even get a click from the starter. Good luck and let us know when you find out.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 AM

In my case, at the end of the basic troubleshooting while waiting for Roadside Assistance (Check and retighten the battery connections, operate all interlock switches, poser on and of, etc etc), the starter relay (anyway one of the three nested near the battery) started rapidly clicking when I would try the starter switch.

My personal diagnostic was that the battery was low (because I had forgotten the Key on the day before), but the alternator did not recharge it while I was riding.

So when the battery went under a voltage threshold, the computer stopped feeding the motor. I was fairly certain that I could have started the bike, had I asked for a boost. But I was not sure if the bike would perform the 300km I needed do ride to get home. Since I was then in a safe place in the center of a village less than 65km from a dealer, I called it quits.

Dealer opens in one hour, have to call them to leave my contact info, and explain what happened. Then wait, and hope for an easy fix.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Garage
side stand switch

My wild guess, is that a small rock, etc. is preventing the side stand switch from completing the circuit and killing the power.

Side stand switches on BMW's have stranded many a good rider. Hope it's a easy fix.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Well people, it seems the voltage regulator went defect and fried the battery.

Problem is no regulator in stock, and the dealer that has it is talking of 15 days to get one!!!!!!!!

Since he's not the dealer I bought it from, he won't take the step to canibalise a new bike to repair mine.

I'm going to see with mine if he would take the step for me, next is regional manager.

Here's hoping because I'm starting vacation at the end of the week .

Bummer!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Here is my update.... Seems I have the exact same issue as bbbelanger. Mine was Stator, Voltage Regulator, and Battery. I was told parts not available until mid to late August. No loaner bike availability in North America according to BMW. My dealer, who, I bought the bike from, has been trying very hard to get a solution for me. I had been in contact with BMW Roadside Assistance for getting my bike to the dealership and when they asked if I was going to get a loaner etc and I explained the problem did a conference call with BMW customer Relations. That escalated a bit when they didn't want to do anything at all, I asked them well what about taking the parts off one of the new bikes with the stop sales order in place, or one of the ones with the broken side stand frame. They said that could be an option but they would have to explore the problem and options before committing to anything. I will see where this goes. I have had a ride planed and paid for to northern California through Yosemite, and then to the redwoods and back down the coast starting on the 20th of this month.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbelanger View Post
Well people, it seems the voltage regulator went defect and fried the battery.

Problem is no regulator in stock, and the dealer that has it is talking of 15 days to get one!!!!!!!!

Since he's not the dealer I bought it from, he won't take the step to canibalise a new bike to repair mine.

I'm going to see with mine if he would take the step for me, next is regional manager.

Here's hoping because I'm starting vacation at the end of the week .

Bummer!
I wonder where they are getting the part from? India?
FedEx can get a small part from just about anywhere in the world in a couple of days.
But it will cost more than the donkey the dealer is getting your part delivered by.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page