pure disappointment - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

pure disappointment

that's the word that really describes how i feel about my GS after ~ 4 months of almost daily visiting this forum (as well as other sites). the info is gathering and it gets worse by the day: recalls, low quality of plastics/paintjob, "funny"
gearbox, condensation at the dash..(and the list goes on and on..).
i am seriously thinking about selling the bike now that is new and not loose a lot of money later.
it is a pity however, because the design is great, the bike looks good and the handling is awesome...
BMW you didn't have to spoil a great design, to make more money...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:42 PM

I am sorry that you have lost a lot of your earlier enthusiasm for this neat little machine. Remember nothing is perfect. As for the reports of condensation inside the dash display, they need to fix this. You should be able to leave a bike in the rain and not have to worry about it. Until they get it properly sorted, remember to take a plastic shopping bag or plastic film to cover the dash if you park it out in the elements. As for the gearbox shifting, keep the shift linkage properly lubed and also remember that a fresh oil change will sometimes fix shifting concerns. Do not give up hope yet!
Bas310 and MOTOMAN like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Greekgeek

I can't say I blame you for your opinion or hesitation as it were, however aside from the side stand, none of the problems are major. The biggest problem is the fear people get when they hear others complain. I for one have almost 11,000 miles on my 2018 G310GS ( purchased Feb 27th ). I have had none of the problems most of the complaints center around. I have had my Cush drive rubbers replaced by the dealer under warranty which appeared different than the original ones ( so maybe a bad batch of rubber ) and my electrical ( stator, voltage regulator, and battery ) failed without warning at around 10,000 miles. That was also taken care of by the dealer who went above and beyond to fix the problem. I have had great fun riding across the USA and back, as well as riding dirt trails and roads without any worry or fear. I ride freeways at 70 to 80MPH almost every day. The bike handles great, the brakes are good enough once bedded in and this little bike has been 10x more reliable than my Harley Davidson and 100x more fun to ride.
So I guess it is just a matter of, does your fear of something that has not happened ( and may never happen ) to you, outweigh the fun and excitement you get from riding your motorcycle.

Last edited by Zente; 08-05-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

thank you guys for your support. i spent all my economies on that bike, (i believe that most of you have heard that things in Greece are tough these days) to buy a brand new vehicle with low fuel consumption and good quality. now i feel that my choice was not good and i somehow "misplaced" my money.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Quit reading the internet! You have not had any problems. The sidestand issue will be covered by a recall. My mirror buzzes at 4000 rpm, in first-that's not serious. What has been reported-two problems with spots on the gas tank and one dash with condensation? Some folks have missed a shift.Ride and enjoy. You will not get all your money back if you sell it now.
blwest and JMo like this.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Hey Greek colleague - I hope you hang in there. As others have written, aside from the recall for the side stand, the various issues to me have been pretty minor. The only one that I had to deal with so far was the stalling at traffic lights, in first gear. Buying new doesn't mean without trouble, in fact new owners often have to deal with what we Dutch call 'childrens ailments' that will be all sorted out in a couple of months' time. I for one firmly intend to hold on to my 310R as I've already had a blast riding it since I bought it in March. So hang in there at least for the next 6 months, I would say, and then re-evaluate. At least it's good on fuel?

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650

Last edited by Cees Klumper; 08-05-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Typos
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
thank you guys for your support. i spent all my economies on that bike, (i believe that most of you have heard that things in Greece are tough these days) to buy a brand new vehicle with low fuel consumption and good quality. now i feel that my choice was not good and i somehow "misplaced" my money.
Hang in there. BMW has the best warranty out there. 3 years! If anything crops up, it’s on them to fix it. The internet can be a scary place where you hear about everyone’s problems and they never tell you they caused them.

If it still continues to have problems getting close to the end of the warranty, sell it and go for something else.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the ride!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Slow View Post
Quit reading the internet!

i don't believe whatever i read on the net, but i consider this forum to be really informative and unbiased. i haven't had any problems with the bike yet, but i have done only 1000 km and i park it in my garage (protected from the sun or rain).
my whining comes from the fact that this is not an "investment" bike, although it's a BMW. i mean that, in my opinion, this is not a work horse bike, but a cheaply made Indian bike that carries the BMW sign. i find it really indicative that not even the side stand was properly designed and built. BMW tried to cut costs from everywhere and produced a nice bike equipped with cheap/mediocre parts.
all these make me believe that the problems will multiply as the years pass by..
that's all folks, thanks for listening.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
that's the word that really describes how i feel about my GS after ~ 4 months of almost daily visiting this forum (as well as other sites). the info is gathering and it gets worse by the day: recalls, low quality of plastics/paintjob, "funny"
gearbox, condensation at the dash..(and the list goes on and on..).
i am seriously thinking about selling the bike now that is new and not loose a lot of money later.
it is a pity however, because the design is great, the bike looks good and the handling is awesome...
BMW you didn't have to spoil a great design, to make more money...

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/G310Rforum/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
So let me get this straight. You disappointed in a bike because of other peoples problems and not your own? Have YOU had any serious issues with the bike? Get a grip man as others have said stop reading forums people tend to bitch. No one comes on a forum to tell anyone how great the bike is. Just the problems. If you are that paranoid you shouldn't own anything. Q
Bas310 likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:14 AM

The side stand was mad properly. The issue was that people were mounting a small bike improperly.
angiedave, Ligkonakos and SCG310R like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page