Rear Shock swap to reduce height - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By B1011r

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Rear Shock swap to reduce height

Has anyone tried replacing the stock GS rear Shocker with that from the G310S. It looks like the frame is almost the same for both the bikes and sicne the G310 S has a low height of 785 mm it might help in reducing the height of the GS as well. I undrestand the changes in dynamics and ride quality, but getting my feet on the ground is more important for me. Right now they hang at least three inches over ground on the GS I booked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 AM

That might work OK but you must also raise the forks in the yoke by a similar amount. You might have to alter the side stand as it would be too long - a G310R side stand may fit but they are a bit short anyway, even on the G310R. It's probably easier to cut down (and cheaper!) your own side stand to suit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

That sounds doable, will get down to it and share the feedback as soon as I able to take it out of the garage. Thanks @Glencoeman
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
I don't know the difference in length between both shockers.
The 310R is definitely shorter ……...
I think you will get a problem raising the front fork.
The handlebar is not that far away and the width of the fork varies once you raise the fork.
Hopefully the margins get your feet on the ground.
Good luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Rally Raid has lowering options, check them out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:08 AM

Half solutions are bad solutions

Changing the rear shock alone is a very bad choice. It changes the geometry of the bike. Every mechanic will agree. As Glencoeman said, you need to raise the front fork as well, but even this solution is not wise. To lower the bike, you should change both front and rear suspension with approved and tested products. The best solution is offered by Wilbers (Germany) allowing you to chose between 20, 40 and 60mm lowering: complete rear shock and matching front fork springs. The second best is Hyperpro. RalyRaid’s solution: shorter shock, raising front fork, is as expensive as a Wilbers solution and far less recommended. They offer this solution to people, but their main specialty is their complete suspension for real off-road use, which is, indeed, one of a kind. Remember to shorten the side stand!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:41 AM

Why not just buy a G310R? I'm sure you could sell your GS for enough money that the cost of a new bike wouldnt be much more than the cost of a shock swap. Taking away the ground clearance advantage of the GS essentially makes it an R anyway.
keo1962 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer.ca View Post
Rally Raid has lowering options, check them out.
I bought the tractive suspension low shock from them. at the default setting it came with it was suppose to lower the seat height 10mm. in my case at least it is actually taller LoL.

I had to adjust up the headlight aim, but man does it ever ride so much better. no more pogo or bottoming out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Frenzy View Post
I bought the tractive suspension low shock from them. at the default setting it came with it was suppose to lower the seat height 10mm. in my case at least it is actually taller LoL.

I had to adjust up the headlight aim, but man does it ever ride so much better. no more pogo or bottoming out.
Although the overal length of the Tractive low shock is shorter than OEM, when the adjuster is set to max, the seat height will be a tad taller than stock because we have designed the Tractive shock, all of them( not just the low vision) to have the correct spring weight for the bike and rider, to give the correct rider sag of about 30% of full stroke.
The OEM shock has a spring that is way too soft for even a light rider, and as you have found, the greatly improved damping, both compression and rebound, will transform the ride.
It is possible to reduce the length of the shock, by means of the locknut on the lower mount, by up to 8mm, this translates to about 24mm reduction in seat height.
Glad you are enjoying the new addition, thanks for your custom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:42 AM

I was starting to wonder if my bike had come with a bad shock, I have never had a bike that the rear end was so floppy. hit a dip in the road and it would slam into the stop and shoot back up like it had no damping at all. I was slowing down for dips, after a few passes with the new shock I am speeding up for dips!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page