SW-Motech center stand & BMW page stand recall - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

SW-Motech center stand & BMW page stand recall

Hello,

I use the SW-Motech center stand and the SW-Motech aluminium engine protection on my G310GS. My page stand ist originally (the recall from BMW is not done).

Is there anybody who also has the center stand (maybe also in combination with the engine protection) and did the recall?
Does the page stand touch the center stand after mounting the bearing block (reinforcement of the side stand)?

Thanks, a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDriver View Post
Hello,

I use the SW-Motech center stand and the SW-Motech aluminium engine protection on my G310GS. My page stand ist originally (the recall from BMW is not done).

Is there anybody who also has the center stand (maybe also in combination with the engine protection) and did the recall?
Does the page stand touch the center stand after mounting the bearing block (reinforcement of the side stand)?

Thanks, a lot.

DieselDriver I installed the SW-Motech centre stand after the recall work was done (pics of that in the recall thread). Engine protection bars (not belly pan skid plate thing) may go on tomorrow.

The side stand and centre stand do hit each other. If I park with the side stand, then hitch it up onto the center stand all is ok of course. But when I retract the side stand the spring arm clips the centre stand on the way through. Not enough to stop it, but it hits.

If the side stand is up and I try to hitch it up onto the centre stand it fouls on the spring are of the side stand and can't engage. I have to have the side down first.

Peter - Newcastle, Australia

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Garage
I have the center stand from ebay seller "Moto Roar" in Thailand. No interference issues with the side stand.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
DieselDriver I installed the SW-Motech centre stand after the recall work was done (pics of that in the recall thread). Engine protection bars (not belly pan skid plate thing) may go on tomorrow.

The side stand and centre stand do hit each other. If I park with the side stand, then hitch it up onto the center stand all is ok of course. But when I retract the side stand the spring arm clips the centre stand on the way through. Not enough to stop it, but it hits.

If the side stand is up and I try to hitch it up onto the centre stand it fouls on the spring are of the side stand and can't engage. I have to have the side down first.
Yesterday I talked to SW-Motech about this issue.
It looks like that they fill fix it and then everyone gets a replace center stand (or maybe only the spring part must be changed).
Can you please post a picture when the two parts are touching?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Where do the center stand and side stand touch each other? Which spring arm makes troubles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center_stand.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	10930  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Where do the center stand and side stand touch each other? Which spring arm makes troubles?

Using the picture you posted, that is the spring arm that is causing the problem with my bike:

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the information.
But does the position of this part really changes after the recall? I thought that the reinforcement only will be mounting on the backside like on this picture taken from MichaelJ?

And can the reinforcement really improves the stability?
On this website we can see that the lower part was broken, so I can't imaginge that the backwards reinforcement improves the situation.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
.......... like on this picture taken from MichaelJ?........
DieselDriver that pic you just posted (reply#7) is my bike.

Quote:
........ And can the reinforcement really improves the stability?
I don't know if it is enough, but I guess that after the weakness was discovered and the recall announced that the engineers have paid closer attention to the forces here.

As for your first question:

Quote:
But does the position of this part really changes after the recall?
I don't know if the position of the bike's side stand and particularly the spring arm has changed AFTER the recall, as I didn't have any way of checking that BEFORE the recall.

I'll make the assumption that the position of the SW-Motech centre stand is NOT affected by the recall. So perhaps:
- the SW-Motech stand hits all or some pre-recall bike side stands [can anyone confirm or deny this?]or;
- the recall remedy moves the OEM stand and that causes the two stands to now hit; or
- maybe its just a minor glitch and it only affects my bike.

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Oh sorry, I ttok the picture from this post - https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/86790-post25.html

I think that the recall does not occurs the touching of the two parts.
On my bike the two parts does not touch.
Moreover, I also think that this rather comes from the too big tolerances on the frame (maybe the angle from the side stand is a little bit different).
Pity that you did not check this issue before the recall. :-(
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Oh sorry, I ttok the picture from this post - https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/86790-post25.html

I think that the recall does not occurs the touching of the two parts.
On my bike the two parts does not touch.
Moreover, I also think that this rather comes from the too big tolerances on the frame (maybe the angle from the side stand is a little bit different).
Pity that you did not check this issue before the recall. :-(

Not sure about you, but I rarely go in to the dealer carrying an aftermarket centre stand in my back pack, lie on the floor and fit it up to a new bike in the show room to see if there is an issue. Perhaps the pity is that SW-Motech "did not check this issue before the recall. :-( "

I bought my bike after the side stand recall was completed, then I fitted the centre stand after I rode the bike home.

From your posts I understand that your bike has not had the recall completed. I also understand that you have already fitted the SW-Motech centre stand to your pre-recall bike and that the SW and OEM stands do not contact - great. If that is the case, perhaps you could check the clearances before and after the dealer gets around to completing the recall and compare the two?

I hope that your guess "I think that the recall does not occurs the touching of the two parts (sic)" is correct for you. That is not the case for me, but hey, I have had the recall completed so at least I have some hard evidence that post-recall at least some bikes are going to have an issue with the two stands contacting. I'm not worried. I can work around the problem by getting my stands to and from the ground in the correct order and a hacksaw should be sufficient to prevent them contacting.

That's probably enough from me on this topic.

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page