Lowering my GS310 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Lowering my GS310

Just picked up my GS310 yesterday. Loving it but still feel I need to lower it to feel completely comfortable. I'm debating between lowering the whole bike or buying the low seat. Not sure which one is the most appropriate (safety/result/price...) Anyone ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:59 PM

I thought that I needed to lower my GS when I first got it but it seems to have lowered itself. Springs sagging, seat compressing it seems fine now.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer.ca View Post
I thought that I needed to lower my GS when I first got it but it seems to have lowered itself. Springs sagging, seat compressing it seems fine now.
I agree - same experience here. Have even bumped up the rear shock preload by 3 notches from OEM setting.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Hi Jul310. Depends if you want to upgrade your suspension or just lower the bike.
I have lowered the front of my GS by 15mm (sliding forks up through the clamps) and have rear preload dialed right down. Folks will say not to lower just the front but the handling is fine, if anything it sharpens up the steering closer to the R.
Next step if I want to go lower would be a Lowering kit, there are a few available, currently looking at Metisse version which replaces a suspension mount point at the rear shock (but not the shock). Can then lower the front another 10mm or so.
Note you will need to shorten the side stand if you lower the bike.

Red G310GS
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:19 PM

@Jul310

Hello! I was also looking into lowering options for the G310R since I am a short guy with short legs and short inseam... Before I bought the G310R, I was lucky enough to check out the lowering seat fitted on my bike before I rolled away with it, and I have to say, the difference is minimal. For the few minutes I sat on it, here is my opinion:
- the seat felt more comfortable in the sense that it was narrower than stock.
- the thickness of the cushion was noticeably gone and gave it a harder feel under my butt.
- for the price that BMW is asking for this lowered seat, it didn't feel worth the money to me.

I am able to get my toes down not all the way to the balls of my feet (for both feet), and I can get a single flat foot down at a light IF i tip the bike at a slight angle or slide over a bit. This is OK for short rides (commutes) but if you have to do this all day long for extended periods, I can see how it can be a pain ... I'm not chiropractor or anythng, but I feel like the weight of the bike and the shifting over with your hips can contribute to some bad hip alignments later on... MAYBE???

In any case, I went ahead with stock everything, and already dropped the bike once in a parking lot with SUPER uneven surface. From when the bike started to tip over to the right, and when my right foot found flat ground, the bike was tipped too far over to stop it. *sigh* That was a moment where i thought to myself "man... if I was able to flat foot on both sides..."

I'll probably get used to how things are ... but I hope whichever way you choose, it works out for you and you don't drop your bike because of something stupid like what I did!

There was a post I saw by @schwa99x who found some company that made what looks to be a legit lowering suspension kit (which is what I think I would do IF I still want to lower) ... seems costly, but in my opinion, it feels like it's doing it "right".
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/161...kit-g310r.html

I don't know if this will fit on the GS, but might be a good starting point if you wanted to take this path.

Good Luck!

loka320
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Hi there,

The lowered seat isn't really worth it - I'm 163cm tall and have the GS - the lowered seat made a small small small difference in my situation. I'd rather have gone and bought a lowering kit from Rally Raid or something similar and ignore the lowered seat option all together.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your answers. New at this site so just saw all your answers today. I'll go to the authorized BMW that was recommended to me and get the bike lowered. I already have the kit to lower the rear so the mechanic will have to figure the front himself. When I spoke to him he wasn't completely sure how difficult it would be. Sounds like the front is pretty straight forward .
And yes, the mechanic mentioned shortening the side stand as well.
Thank you again for all your inputs .
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

One more question.... bmw toronto sends me to Buckhorn, Ontario to have the bike lowered (bmw doesn't have the tool for it &#x1f61e... any chance anyone knows a place a bit Closer to Toronto for that ? I'll check other dealerships in the GPA as well...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

**gta**
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul310 View Post
Thank you for all your answers. New at this site so just saw all your answers today. I'll go to the authorized BMW that was recommended to me and get the bike lowered. I already have the kit to lower the rear so the mechanic will have to figure the front himself. When I spoke to him he wasn't completely sure how difficult it would be. Sounds like the front is pretty straight forward .
And yes, the mechanic mentioned shortening the side stand as well.
Thank you again for all your inputs .
Hi Jul

Did you have the lowering kit fitted? Can I ask which kit you used and by how much you were able to lower the seat height?
Thanks,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page