Adjustable Foot Brake Pedal - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Adjustable Foot Brake Pedal

Does anyone have suggestions for adjusting the foot brake pedal height so that it fits my foot position better?
I知 also in search of replacing the foot brake pedal if anyone knows of a source or a location.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
PCG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 PM

Garage
You're not alone dude. I've never ridden a worse rear brake (that was allegedly functional; i.e., pedal not busted off, etc.). I'm hoping my dealer has a useful suggestion...
Pismocycleguy likes this.

Now: Elfi (Elfineule, Elf Owl) a 2018 baby GS!
Now: Handsome Black, 2014 Tiger 800.
Then: too many to list, all makes. Each good in its own way!
Adventure bike (noun): the bike you have adventures on. Other definitions aren't relevant.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
People complain about the brakes but I find them to be excellent. Especially as compared to my '76 Yamaha XS650's but also just in absolute terms. Maybe some are adjusted poorly from the dealer.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for adjusting the foot brake pedal height so that it fits my foot position better?
I知 also in search of replacing the foot brake pedal if anyone knows of a source or a location.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
PCG
I think that you can adjust the pedal height at the rear of the brake pedal by slackening the lock nut and turning the round rod to adjust either way - the rod that goes into the rear brake master cylinder.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 05:37 AM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glencoeman View Post
I think that you can adjust the pedal height at the rear of the brake pedal by slackening the lock nut and turning the round rod to adjust either way - the rod that goes into the rear brake master cylinder.
Unfortunately you can't do that on the GS as the brake pedal itself actually butts up against a stop on the footrest hanger bracket, so you can't actually raise the tip any higher than it is - so in this instance all that adjusting the threaded section of the master cylinder rod would do is dictate when the piston actually gets pressed (and I'd suggest you don't want it happening any later/lower than it is all ready).

Rally-Raid are working on a replacement brake pedal and hanger to give more up and down adjustability.

I understand you can buy aftermarket pedals already on eBay etc. however, the problem remains that the bracket the foot-peg bolts too on that side dictates how high the pedal itself can go.

You could get creative with a grinder perhaps (although be aware there is a brake-light switch under there), or bolt something to the top of the existing pedal to raise the tip under your toes that way perhaps?

Jx
Pismocycleguy likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 05:41 AM
JMo

ps. Alternatively, I've found if you bend it enough times and bend it back, then eventually the tip ends up a bit higher ;o)

Jx
ridin likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

JMo,
Thanks for the Rally-Raid brake pedal information. I知 going to contact them to see how their creativity is progressing. Hopefully they値l be making progress as they have on their other projects.
PCG
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
ps. Alternatively, I've found if you bend it enough times and bend it back, then eventually the tip ends up a bit higher ;o)
A highly scientific process no doubt!
JMo likes this.

Now: Elfi (Elfineule, Elf Owl) a 2018 baby GS!
Now: Handsome Black, 2014 Tiger 800.
Then: too many to list, all makes. Each good in its own way!
Adventure bike (noun): the bike you have adventures on. Other definitions aren't relevant.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin View Post
A highly scientific process no doubt!
I have used this method to gain height on the brake pedal..
Although, cold bending will weaken the item.
I suggest the pedal is put in a vice and heated with a torch and then persuaded into the correct place of choosing with a piece of scaffolding pipe over the end.
Rapid cooling with water will ensure flexibility of the metal is sustained..
The pedal was probably originally part of a "Tuk Tuk" that gave up its life to become part of a BMW so please re finish in a color of your choice that's reflects its Asian roots..
Realistically.. The pedal is a very poor design, manufactured very cheaply and has lateral "play" that far outweighs the normal parameters of engineering good practice. I have a 1962 BSA Bantam with a far better pedal.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM

Must be part of the ABS. Can't possibly be applied hard enough to lock the rear brake.

Kenny M.
Eureka, Ca.
BMW 2018 G310gs, BMW 2015 R1200RTLC, 1974 Norton 850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page