Dashboard fails to indicate speed + 2 warning lights when cold start in V cold temps? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Dashboard fails to indicate speed + 2 warning lights when cold start in V cold temps?

I'm a new GS biker and I have had this issue 3 times since getting my bike new from the dealer (3 weeks ago). When first starting the bike in very cold weather (say around 0 to 3 deg C), the bike starts but the speedo does not work - it just shows dashes. Also the ABS light stays on and the Yellow Warning triangle stays on. The speedo also does not record any mileage driven.
Once the engine is warmed up after a few miles, if I switch the engine off and then start it back up again, the problem goes away.
I have reported this to BMW who are going to change my dash under the warranty, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:11 PM

I have not experienced this exact problem, but I had problems with the dash also. It would take a bit to display all the info after turning the bike on. The dealership replaced it under warranty, took about an hour.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That sounds like more of a problem with the sensor on the front wheel, or with a connection between the sensor and the on board computer, or the onboard computer.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:36 PM

I had the same problem. Dealer replaced instrumentation under warranty, problem solved. Took about an hour to swap out the old for the new.

Gene Thomas
Don't wait for 6 strong men to take you to church
2018 G310GS
2015 F700GS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. my dealer apparently did loads of tests and they changed.......the starter motor?????
when I asked them about this they said that during very cold weather my starter motor was drawing too much current and reducing the current to the dash, which is why it was throwing up the errors. I haven't had the same very cold weather to retest it so I can't be sure the starter motor solved the problem....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Not solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Thomas View Post
I had the same problem. Dealer replaced instrumentation under warranty, problem solved. Took about an hour to swap out the old for the new.
Temps down in the low 20s today and after an hour or so sitting outside the dash was again not functioning properly, No speedo, odo, gas gauge. Not sure when or if I will go back to the dealer, no odo extends the warranty.

Gene Thomas
Don't wait for 6 strong men to take you to church
2018 G310GS
2015 F700GS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page