Hazard Warning Lights?? 4-Way Flashers?? Emergency Lights?? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hazard Warning Lights?? 4-Way Flashers?? Emergency Lights??

Hazard Warning Lights?? 4-Way Flashers?? Emergency Lights?? Whatever you choose to call them... Guess it doesn't matter because they don't exist on our BMW G 310 GS. My first question is why not have them on the bike from the factory? Seems to be a fairly low cost for a potential high safety feature. I'm all about being seen and will be adding the Admore (or similiar) LED running lights and turn indicators to my Givi topcase and on my Barkbuster hand guards over the winter months. While I'm at it I was considering adding (if possible) the ability to have hazard warning lights to the bike. Wondering if anyone has done this before and if so if you would have info on how to to install/wire. Thanks.
XRaiders and Bas310 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:27 PM

Garage
Havenít done anything like that before but ..... Iím interested too.
I wondered too why such a safety issue isnít standard.
Keep me updated 👍
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:56 PM

you could put a train headlight on the back of your bike and it wont work because the mindless morons are staring down at the multi function mind control device in their lap and will never see the lights on your bike.

I have a admore lighting light bar mounted to the rack on the back of my ZRX1100 and got rear ended.

it might be possible to wire in a switch and diodes to allow you to have four way flashers but the flasher function on these bikes is integrated into the instrument pod and likely wont tolerate doubling the load on it.

I mounted a Denali B6 auxiliary license plate brake light on my GS. it is crazy bright.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 AM

Lightbulb

I found a thread in Japanese anonymous BBS that an R owner had his dealer mechanic retrofit a switch for hazard flasher. He said that It was working fine, but there was a limit. When the hazard switch is activated with turn signal is on, the left and right indicators blink alternatively.

I noticed that the 4-way hazard flasher can be achievable by retrofitting an additional switch. However, since BBS is anonymous, there is no way to send PM to him or prove it is true.

If I had gain access to the wiring diagram, I will be able to do that modification by myself with confidence, but I have not enough passion to tweak the actual harness right now...

1994 F650 Funduro (sold)
2000 F650GS (going to say goodbye)
2017 G310GS (new)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM

I have never seen flashers (Hazard) on a motorcycle. Do not really need them as they don't take up a whole lane like a car. Just put on the turn signal. You can't necessarily get a car off the road but you can a bike. Turn signal should be enough.

Maybe ask motorcycle manufacturer council to consider adding to large bikes like tourers.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Harley Davidson has included emergency flashers on their bikes for quite some time. Even a Sportster I had for a while...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Frenzy View Post
you could put a train headlight on the back of your bike and it wont work because the mindless morons are staring down at the multi function mind control device in their lap and will never see the lights on your bike.

I have a admore lighting light bar mounted to the rack on the back of my ZRX1100 and got rear ended.

it might be possible to wire in a switch and diodes to allow you to have four way flashers but the flasher function on these bikes is integrated into the instrument pod and likely wont tolerate doubling the load on it.

I mounted a Denali B6 auxiliary license plate brake light on my GS. it is crazy bright.
Agree 100%. Many years ago when the idea of running your motorcycle with headlights on at all times, this subject came up in one of the motorcycle mags I used to read. I will always remember a post from a truck driver, which basically said, I drive an 18 wheeler, it is 28 feet long, 8 ft wide and 10 feet tall. It has 12 lights on the front, 6 lights on the back and 10 lights along each side. It is painted in fluorescent colours, red, green and yellow........and still motorists pull out in front of me and say they never saw me, so what chance do you motorcyclists think you have by running with your headlights on? Still true today.
nodsman likes this.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Harley Davidson has included emergency flashers on their bikes for quite some time. Even a Sportster I had for a while...
It works on Harleys as they have a separate switch for each side turn signal, hence all you have to do is to switch them both on using both switches.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
It works on Harleys as they have a separate switch for each side turn signal, hence all you have to do is to switch them both on using both switches.
On my 2014 Sporty it had a separate little switch above the Start button. Holding both switches didn’t work. My 2010 Streetglide worked like you stated though. Things change...
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:19 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lost in space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
I have never seen flashers (Hazard) on a motorcycle. Do not really need them as they don't take up a whole lane like a car. Just put on the turn signal. You can't necessarily get a car off the road but you can a bike. Turn signal should be enough.

Maybe ask motorcycle manufacturer council to consider adding to large bikes like tourers.
Sorry totally disagree, most of my late bikes had hazard lights, I a too was shocked to see that left off the G310's I live on the outskirts of Tokyo and hazard as a must!! putting on an indicator and parking to the side will lead to confusion.
G0MYW likes this.

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't get lost, if you don't care where you are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page