BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Hazard Warning Lights?? 4-Way Flashers?? Emergency Lights??

27K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  motardes04 
#1 ·
Hazard Warning Lights?? 4-Way Flashers?? Emergency Lights?? Whatever you choose to call them... Guess it doesn't matter because they don't exist on our BMW G 310 GS. My first question is why not have them on the bike from the factory? Seems to be a fairly low cost for a potential high safety feature. I'm all about being seen and will be adding the Admore (or similiar) LED running lights and turn indicators to my Givi topcase and on my Barkbuster hand guards over the winter months. While I'm at it I was considering adding (if possible) the ability to have hazard warning lights to the bike. Wondering if anyone has done this before and if so if you would have info on how to to install/wire. Thanks.

#3 ·
you could put a train headlight on the back of your bike and it wont work because the mindless morons are staring down at the multi function mind control device in their lap and will never see the lights on your bike.

I have a admore lighting light bar mounted to the rack on the back of my ZRX1100 and got rear ended.

it might be possible to wire in a switch and diodes to allow you to have four way flashers but the flasher function on these bikes is integrated into the instrument pod and likely wont tolerate doubling the load on it.

I mounted a Denali B6 auxiliary license plate brake light on my GS. it is crazy bright.

#7 ·
Agree 100%. Many years ago when the idea of running your motorcycle with headlights on at all times, this subject came up in one of the motorcycle mags I used to read. I will always remember a post from a truck driver, which basically said, I drive an 18 wheeler, it is 28 feet long, 8 ft wide and 10 feet tall. It has 12 lights on the front, 6 lights on the back and 10 lights along each side. It is painted in fluorescent colours, red, green and yellow........and still motorists pull out in front of me and say they never saw me, so what chance do you motorcyclists think you have by running with your headlights on? Still true today.

#4 ·
I found a thread in Japanese anonymous BBS that an R owner had his dealer mechanic retrofit a switch for hazard flasher. He said that It was working fine, but there was a limit. When the hazard switch is activated with turn signal is on, the left and right indicators blink alternatively.

I noticed that the 4-way hazard flasher can be achievable by retrofitting an additional switch. However, since BBS is anonymous, there is no way to send PM to him or prove it is true.

If I had gain access to the wiring diagram, I will be able to do that modification by myself with confidence, but I have not enough passion to tweak the actual harness right now...

#5 ·
I have never seen flashers (Hazard) on a motorcycle. Do not really need them as they don't take up a whole lane like a car. Just put on the turn signal. You can't necessarily get a car off the road but you can a bike. Turn signal should be enough.

Maybe ask motorcycle manufacturer council to consider adding to large bikes like tourers.

#10 ·
Sorry totally disagree, most of my late bikes had hazard lights, I a too was shocked to see that left off the G310's I live on the outskirts of Tokyo and hazard as a must!! putting on an indicator and parking to the side will lead to confusion.

Reactions: G0MYW
#12 ·
I can live without hazard lights, but this is just wrong that bwm did not install them on the 310. it is a basic security feature. if something is wrong with the bike and you need to ride slow, this gives warning to the other drivers to be more cautious.

#14 ·
There are two ways to go about this:

1. Install the kit from Komy - https://2allbuyer.com/Hazard-System-C331159.aspx?sid=35045

2-A. Install the Skeene P3 conspicuity lights with their Photon Blasters.

2-B. Install the Skeene P3 conspicuity lights with their Photon Blasters and hook it into your turn signals(which will also inherit the conspicuity flicker from the Skeene controller.

Note - (1.)you will need LED turn signals for this to work.
(2.)If you use the kit from Komy, trash the switch and get a better quality one.

Alternate:
If you do not want to change out your turn signals for LED ones, simply replace the flasher unit in the Komy kit with a flasher that works for regular bulbs.

#16 ·
I'm going to have to agree with some of you and disagree with others on this. Lights do work but it needs to be of a specific type. You can't just put on any light; it doesn't matter how bright it is. People and cars will not see you because their brain is not trained for it. You have to use strobing LED lights. I know that it works because I have had cops and other people either complained about it or asked me why do I have it.
For the front facing, I installed a white 950 lumen LED strobing bicycle light. Even distracted drivers will notice this light from at least a quarter mile away. You have to be blind not to see this strobing light. With this light, the only way that an oncoming left turn car will turn right in front of me is that it was on purpose.

For the rear, I installed a smaller LED but red strobing bicycle light.

Both have significantly improved my survivability during commutes.

With my lights during commutes, I feel like Moses and the Red Sea.

#17 ·
I realize this thread is old but I just got home to New Jersey from my ride buying a G310R in Minnesota. Yesterday, for the last 200 miles, it was raining with some of the thickest fog I've experienced (the thick stuff came up suddenly).

I was really wishing for hazard lights -- it's disappointing this new bike doesn't have them. Both my 2007 Harley Sportster and my 1993 K75RT have them. I had assumed by the early 2000s, it became a standard.

#27 · (Edited)
Oh! Last thing. My Harley Davidson Sportster / Roadster?

It's a 1200cc -- it says that right on the side of the bike! I don't even know what that is in cubic inches! WTF! And it has never been broken down on the side of the road, nor in a pickup truck, after many thousands of miles. It's one **** of a nice and extremely well built and reliable bike. But this isn't the forum for that, of course.

I appreciate you trying to keep things in check, Porth. Would still be nice if the G310R had hazard lights. I don't really want the orange lights the "auto parts dude" (LOL) suggested.

#28 ·
Also love a nice Harley!

Would be great to get a handle bar controller from one of the larger BMW bikes (and the required wiring) to enable the indicators to be used as hazard lights. This would also be great on the other side for switching on/off heated grips instead of the centrally located switch that BMW provides.

#35 ·
He's good, Porth. As are you for refereeing. Thanks.

We'd need a factory-looking switch and a new relay. Something clean. Perhaps we could get BMW to do an upgrade, along with LEDs. Of course that would probably cost more than the bike did. Beyond that, I just used my left blinker, hoping it could be seen in thick fog. I've only used hazards once, on my K75, that was for a side-of-the-road luggage issue. I like knowing they are there.

#38 ·
Ok, I think we can all agree that none of this would have happened in person. It's easy for things to escalate out of control when it's only written on a screen.

To keep the peace I'm just going to delete any further messages that are off topic in this thread.

#39 · (Edited)
On topic, I did get a bunch of connectors for the accessory power port behind the headlight/cluster. Unfortunately my pinning kit was stolen so i can't do anything with them at the moment.

However if there was enough interest I could kit up some accessories including a plug and play hazard switch and usb power ports. I'd have to get some female connectors for the plug and play Y connections into the indicators but i believe i saw them in the mouser catalog when I ordered.

I'd need to know demand and what people would be willing to pay? I almost only come here when I'm free and on my phone so i don't know if a poll could be done?

3 options I see:

plug and play dual USB 3amp (total) power ports. I see no reason to do a single port given the negligible cost difference and a little redundancy if nothing else is probably a good idea. This is the connector wired with usb outlet and mount.
$25

plug and play hazard switch. Includes all connectors, harness wired up, digital blinker and a switch. It'll work happily with your LEDs. This will not correct the fast blink when signaling! but hazards would work normally.
$40

plug and play hazard switch plus usb.
$55

Pricing are rough guestimates in USD based on what i remember of component prices and yes I would also expect to make a little money for my time. I've done this kind of thing before and it's been personally satisfying but support, communication, and packing and shipping take a surprising amount of time.

It would also be helpful to know what people want for a switch. I personally like the idea of a flush push button on top of the headlight cowl in the smooth area between the R and the cluster. I'd have to double check for depth/space back there, it would be a convenient spot and I'd think look almost factory. I would supply a waterproof switch, you would have to make a hole for it.

I am open to ideas/suggestions on any of the above.

For the record, I am exactly the same in person.

#40 · (Edited)
I realize now i was referencing the G310R (which i own), I would have to doublecheck GS differences but apart from the switch mount I don't anticipate much

And with the plug and play solution, should a programatic solution become available you could easily revert with no trace, except for the switch, which even the programatic solution would probably still need..

All of this is dependant on hearing what people want.

I could also potentially add load resistors to fix fast blink to the hazard switch kit. However I am reluctant to do this as you would absolutely have to mount the resistors outside the cowl or you'd put out way too much heat back in there.

#41 ·
Like many of you, I thought that hazard lights were a compulsory security element in Europe, and did not imagine for one second that BMW would sell bikes - mostly designed for town - without them.
So I've been browsing a lot to find a solution. Thought of buying a 30€ kit ready to install, with a very disgraceful switch hazardously waterproof, necessiting that I displace my rearview mirror to have the room to install it.
But I've found something better, which will cost me more but with very good reviews after a Triumph speed forum group order.
It's here :
I've ordered it today, with the emergency brake add-on.
No added command is needed : the hazard lights are activated when you activate the turn signal and stop it right away.
The seller says it's very easy to install (plug it on the rear turn signal, on battery and mass) and guarantees it will work on the G310R.
He also sells all the necessary items to install them without tools but making it shock and waterproof : KIT CABLAGE 4

I'll try to post a video of the installation.

#42 · (Edited)
Hello, here we are, I've got fully functionnal hazard lights, with no additionnal switch.
Although it's a bit more expensive than other ones such as Acheter Dispositif de feux de détresse | Louis moto : vêtements et articles techniques (louis-moto.fr)
not having to install a switch makes it all very easy and user friendly, even if it needs to get accustomed to have them flash exactly when you want.

I've installed only the WAM Warning moto automatique (free.fr) (44 €) and used the no tool assembly kit also sold on the same website (9,5 €) although it's not vital (you can use any rapid assembly kit).
Richard, the inventor and maker of this solution, answered my questions by mail and over the phone, very kindly. After talking with him, I decided not to install the option which would enable the hazard light to blink on heavy braking, as he was not sure it would fit on our rear light because it combines daylight and brake light.
/!\ WHEN YOU ORDER THE KIT, TELL HIM IT'S FOR A G310 AND THAT YOU NEED SEPARATE WIRING FOR FRONT AND BACK /!\ Thus price may be different, mtrap will be able to update on that point.

You can see the different steps of the installation on videos I will upload on Youtube, but to put it simple, no need to watch them unless you're as scared as me when it comes to electricity. Actually, it's pretty easy.
First, locate the rear blinkers wires under the seat. Easy, there're symetric right and left and have rapid connectors.
You only need to cut one of the colored wires (green on the right side, purple on the left side (on my bike) to plug the WAM unit with the yellow wire.
Then, you'll have to plug the red wire on a + and the black wire to ground. I used the tail light wire to do so. Red on orange+white, and black on black+ white.
/!\ Actually you will also have to wire the WAM to the front blinkers through additional wires Richard will provide. Easy as well, except that you will have to connect on the blinkers wires directly. /!\

Just check everything is fine (the blinkers blink and the hazard lights work) before you tape or use the auto welding connector and heat it. Remove the ignition key between each step.
Check it works before heating the rapid assembly / weld retracting plastic part, and putting back some electrical tape around each individual wiring and then around the groups of wires.
You're done !

Pour les Français : c'est vraiment piece of cake ;-)
/!\ ATTENTION : il faut signaler à Richard (le vendeur) que c'est pour une G310 et que les clignos avant et arrière ne communiquent pas tous seuls ... Dans ce cas, il faut qu'il ajoute un câble de raccordement du WAM sur les clignos avant. /!\
A chaque fois, pensez à retirer la clé du contact entre 2 essais.
Le WAM se branche sur les clignos arrière. Facile à repérer : 2 fils avec un clip attache rapide, parfaitement symétriques, le long des flancs. J'ai débranché pour vérifier que c'était bien les clignos avant de couper les fils ;-)
Au cas où on doive changer les clignos ultérieurement (pour mettre des LED, ou suite à une casse), il faut juste veiller à couper les fils en amont de ces clips attache rapide, plutôt côté batterie et faisceau, donc.
Commencer par défaire les scotch pour bien séparer les 2 fils de chaque cligno. Couper le fil vert (cligno droit) et le fil mauve (cligno gauche), sans couper le fil noir et blanc.
Brancher un fil jaune du WAM sur le vert, puis l'autre sur le mauve.
Pour l'avant, c'est simple aussi, sauf qu'il n'y a pas assez de fil dispo en amont du connecteur rapide des clignos à l'arrivée du faisceau dans le phare. Le mieux est de se brancher directement sur les 2 clignos avant, après le connecteur rapide, donc. Ca obligera juste à recouper / reconnecter en cas de changement de clignos (du coup je n'ai pas utilisé les manchons à soudure intégrée, j'ai fait à l'ancienne avec du scotch électrique ...).

Pour tester que ça marche, l'idéal est de trouver une petite main pour mettre le fil rouge sur le plus (rouge) batterie, et le fil noir sur un écrou du chassis (pour faire masse), pendant que vous manipulez le bouton des clignos pour tester la mise en marche des warnings.
Si OK, chauffez les cosses du manchon thermo rétractable à soudure intégré avec un briquet, sur chacun des raccords des clignos.
Ensuite, prenez le fil du feu arrière (au-dessus ou derrière celui du cligno droit). Séparez les fils. Coupez le noir et préparez votre raccord avec le noir du WAM. Testez à nouveau avec le plus batterie que vous avez toujours les clignos et les warnings qui fonctionnent. Pareil pour le rouge pour finir.
Scotchez individuellement chaque fil coupé et relié au WAM, puis les fils du même groupe (cligno droit par exemple) ensemble.

#43 ·
Hello, here we are, I've got fully functionnal hazard lights, with no additionnal switch.
Although it's a bit more expensive than other ones such as Acheter Dispositif de feux de détresse | Louis moto : vêtements et articles techniques (louis-moto.fr)
not having to install a switch makes it all very easy and user friendly, even if it needs to get accustomed to have them flash exactly when you want.

I've installed only the WAM Warning moto automatique (free.fr) (44 €) and used the no tool assembly kit also sold on the same website (9,5 €) although it's not vital (you can use any rapid assembly kit).
Richard, the inventor and maker of this solution, answered my questions by mail and over the phone, very kindly. After talking with him, I decided not to install the option which would enable the hazard light to blink on heavy braking, as he was not sure it would fit on our rear light because it combines daylight and brake light.

You can see the different steps of the installation on videos I will upload on Youtube, but to put it simple, no need to watch them unless you're as scared as me when it comes to electricity. Actually, it's pretty easy.
First, locate the rear blinkers wires under the seat. Easy, there're symetric right and left and have rapid connectors.
You only need to cut one of the colored wires (green on the right side, purple on the left side (on my bike) to plug the WAM unit with the yellow wire.
Then, you'll have to plug the red wire on a + and the black wire to ground. I used the tail light wire to do so. Red on orange+white, and black on black+ white.
Just check everything is fine (the blinkers blink and the hazard lights work) before you tape or use the auto welding connector and heat it. Remove the ignition key between each step.
Check it works before heating the rapid assembly / weld retracting plastic part, and putting back some electrical tape around each individual wiring and then around the groups of wires.
You're done !

Pour les Français : c'est vraiment piece of cake ;-)
A chaque fois, pensez à retirer la clé du contact entre 2 essais.
Le WAM se branche sur les clignos arrière. Facile à repérer : 2 fils avec un clip attache rapide, parfaitement symétriques, le long des flancs. J'ai débranché pour vérifier que c'était bien les clignos avant de couper les fils ;-)
Au cas où on doive changer les clignos ultérieurement (pour mettre des LED, ou suite à une casse), il faut juste veiller à couper les fils en amont de ces clips attache rapide, plutôt côté batterie et faisceau, donc.
Commencer par défaire les scotch pour bien séparer les 2 fils de chaque cligno. Couper le fil vert (cligno droit) et le fil mauve (cligno gauche), sans couper le fil noir et blanc.
Brancher un fil jaune du WAM sur le vert, puis l'autre sur le mauve.
Pour tester que ça marche, l'idéal est de trouver une petite main pour mettre le fil rouge sur le plus (rouge) batterie, et le fil noir sur un écrou du chassis (pour faire masse), pendant que vous manipulez le bouton des clignos pour tester la mise en marche des warnings.
Si OK, chauffez les cosses du manchon thermo rétractable à soudure intégré avec un briquet, sur chacun des raccords des clignos.
Ensuite, prenez le fil du feu arrière (au-dessus ou derrière celui du cligno droit). Séparez les fils. Coupez le noir et préparez votre raccord avec le noir du WAM. Testez à nouveau avec le plus batterie que vous avez toujours les clignos et les warnings qui fonctionnent. Pareil pour le rouge pour finir.
Scotchez individuellement chaque fil coupé et relié au WAM, puis les fils du même groupe (cligno droit par exemple) ensemble.
Thank you for the link! Richard is indeed a gentleman -- he asked me to wait while someone installed it on a G310GS. It worked (with the addition of two diodes that he is supplying), so I ordered the WAM with the brake option for both of our bikes. The price is excellent, and he will ship to the USA. And... it is always a pleasure to encounter someone like Richard.

Again, thank you motardes04. I'm looking forward to installing this on our bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.