Are Crush Bars Really Necessary - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Are Crush Bars Really Necessary

i writing from my experience with CRF250L. I have crashed so many times (suffering now knee injury) and nothing happened to the bike. How are the Gs fairings?

Then, I have no idea why engine guard is needed, other than adding more weight? False security? if the bike falls, the engine is not in direct contact with the tiny single cylinder, so what is the point? The upper guard might make more sense if the fairing is sensitive to damage; even then, mostly the handlebars make the contact.

I have many bikes, and I spent so much money on accessories, and I really begin to wonder where is the line between the marketing scheme of the aftermarket accessor companies and the actual need. For instance, the plastic skid plate appears to be adequate (even if not that great looking) unless you ride on some crazy roads which is not suitable for that bike anyway. For instance, i fitted metal skid plate on my Tiger 800 xr and regretted it - it is entirely useless for my purposes and makes the access to oil filter difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM

According to my dealerís microfiche, replacing the plastics on the GS will cost me US$20. So I could buy several sets of them before I reached the cost of a single set of engine guards.

Less weight is good on a bike this underpowered. So I wonít be installing any metal guards, bash plates, nor pannier racks.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
According to my dealer’s microfiche, replacing the plastics on the GS will cost me US$20. So I could buy several sets of them before I reached the cost of a single set of engine guards.

Less weight is good on a bike this underpowered. So I won’t be installing any metal guards, bash plates, nor pannier racks.
Thanks for that input. Just waste of money and adding weight to the bike. I wonder how honda managed to design their side panels in crf250 so well and flexible that no crush can create any damage. in many bikes the panels are just too brittle...

Last edited by Kris; 12-17-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Exactly what part is only $20? The oil filter alone is almost that cost ($15) I have never known any body panels to be that low cost. Maybe one of the small pieces?

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Garage
If you don't crash you don't need them. Same can be said about seat belts I guess. The day you crash and do damage you will wonder if the outcome would have been different if you had crash protection. Then it becomes an accounting exercise - is the repair costs less than what the crash protection would have cost. No guarantee that the crash protection would have not prevented any damage and you will likely have to repair/paint the crash bars.

Don't forget the cool looking factor with the potential false sense of security. The real reason I think most people purchase crash protection. There's no real way to argue that you might be right. I often wonder about all the tech jargon when it comes to motorcycle safety gear. With all the "armor" I feel sometimes I might be in an episode of Game of Thrones and not out for a leisurely ride on my bike.

This video shows a guy demonstrating the crash bars on his African Twin.

Is it just me but every time he drops it I instinctively want to jump at the screen to save the bike from hitting the ground. He also provides us with the bikers universal hands up in the air when you know you don't have control anymore! The "please don't let my bike get damaged posture" LOL! He doesn't look that confident to me that the outcome is going to be positive. LOL!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
According to my dealerís microfiche, replacing the plastics on the GS will cost me US$20. So I could buy several sets of them before I reached the cost of a single set of engine guards.

Less weight is good on a bike this underpowered. So I wonít be installing any metal guards, bash plates, nor pannier racks.
Where is your dealer? I can't get a bolt for less than $20
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 PM

Garage
Remember watching this one before and wanted to share. The author says "I drop the bike a lot". LOL

I would agree!

Crash protector in action...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtown View Post
Where is your dealer? I can't get a bolt for less than $20
Medford, Oregon. But that price is the official BMW price for those plastics, and should be the same at all BMW dealers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
Exactly what part is only $20? The oil filter alone is almost that cost ($15) I have never known any body panels to be that low cost. Maybe one of the small pieces?
It's called the "Badge Holder Blank," (BMW part nr. 46638388669). It's the silver plastic piece that holds the BMW roundel, and is the most likely part to get scratched in a low-speed dump.

If you crash harder, the black plastic intake snorkel surrounding it is only US$31.

Last edited by WoodWorks; 12-17-2018 at 06:25 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

there is a youtube video with the Gs 310 crashing (you can see it at 7min of the video), and even though he fell pretty hard, there was almost no damage. I do have crash bars on my bigger bikes, Tiger 800 and Versys 1000, but they have different geometry and the side panels stick out more. good handguards can be useful, but I usually use short brake/clutch levers so these would not be touched in the event of dropping the bike. the stock levers do not look good in my eyes and are not adjustable. i like to have the brake lever closer to my hand. https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Alumin.../dp/B07DKWM8ZY

Last edited by Kris; 12-17-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page