My Impressions from the 1st day on Gs - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kris

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

My Impressions from the 1st day on Gs

It is a great bike, so comfortable and flickable both on the bad road and in heavy traffic. the clutch is really light, even though I had some difficulties to engage neutral at times. it is certainly not too high for me.

but as i suspected the front brake sucks, the master cylinder is much too big. it is 13mm, from what is written on it, so I will go for 11mm, which I have spare. wtf is with these manufactures fitting such wooden brakes? and of course the clutch/brake levers are ugly and need to be changed immediately. i also fitted immediately Rox 2" risers, and now the postion of the handlebars seems fine. I also fitted seal savers on the fork, to prevent the dust getting in.
hogrider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Hi Kris,

I'm also unhappy with the front brake. how substitution with a smaller mater cylinder is expected to improve braking system? If you look at long test of G310R being carried out by Motorradonline, substitution of OEm front brake pum with a Magura one seems not providing significant improvement
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci View Post
Hi Kris,

I'm also unhappy with the front brake. how substitution with a smaller mater cylinder is expected to improve braking system? If you look at long test of G310R being carried out by Motorradonline, substitution of OEm front brake pum with a Magura one seems not providing significant improvement
the brakes on Gs are good, radial calliper with 4 pots is great. the only problem is the master cylinder. according the the law of hydraulics, the smaller is the piston in the MC the less effort is required to stop the bike, but the lever travels a bit more. the common misconception is people think that when the lever is hard, this means that the brakes are good. in fact, the lever should feel a bit soft (not too soft or not to confuse it with having air in the system). if you get one number smaller MC, you will be able to stop the bike with one finger, basically without effort and with greater modulation. i will do it in a couple of day, so I will report the results. but i already 'know' the results. i have done it in, well...6 bikes, with the same great results. no need to spend money on expensive maguara systems. smaller mc will do the trick
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

so i made a trip for 7 hours, to bring the bike home, and it is the most comfortable bike i I own! some people complain about the seat, but I have 6 bikes with aftermarket seats and this is the only seat that did not hurt my bottom!!! rising the handlebars is a must. if you don't want to get raisers, Tusk has amazing higher aluminium bars for 30USD.

and I changed the master cylinder to 11mm, (i have it from 250 KLX kawasaki) and you would not believe wha difference it makes. i can stop the bike with the pinky. however, for new riders, this might be too strong, so 12mm would be probably a better option.

I also installed foam pre-filter on the snorkel which is already dirty after the ride, so it is a great idea if you ride in dusty conditions. I also installed seal savers, to prevent the dust entering the front fork seals.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

one more thing. the bike is strong enough, but my crf250L is much stronger. well, I did add some fuel controller, but still 310 should be stronger. the air/fuel mixture is obviously too lean. i hope some after market companies will come with some offerings, like EJK. and here are some pictures, of the MC, pre-filter and seal savers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MC 11mm.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	12170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snorkel.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	12172   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal savers.jpg
Views:	117