Replacement levers GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lost in space
Replacement levers GS

First off why... I crashed and bent the brake lever also wore away the ball on the end, when attempting straighten the lever it snapped. I have an new OEM ready to pick up from dealership. I bought these from https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...72.m2749.l2649

I had read about many of these levers not clearing the switch block mainly the clutch, I read the customer feedback and it looked like these were OK.

They are now fitted, the brake is OK, the clutch needed a slight modification, I removed some material see photos. When the clutch is set to 4,5 or 6 it will allow the engine to start in gear, but at 1,2 and 3 it will not trigger the microswitch.

Honest opinion, they look nice, but that's it. The OEM feel better, they have a bronze bush at the pivot for longevity, less slop in them, and the clutch performs as it should. I can see myself fitting the OEM back on, and investing in some barkbusters along with some maybe TUSK aluminium bars, the OEM bars bend very easily (fortunately they do bend back)

video here https://photos.app.goo.gl/KRvBF5GJbDeQpsiC9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modification.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	12190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch lever modification.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	12192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Fitted.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	12194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake fitted.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	12196   Click image for larger version

Name:	The pair.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	12198  

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't get lost, if you don't care where you are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:19 AM

I bought these as I hated the position of the factory levers: CNC Aluminum Motorcycle Brake Clutch Lever Adjustable Extendable Levers FOR BMW G310R G310 R G 310 R G 310R 2017 2018
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/1WWnKBq

They fitted and work fantasticly, they do as you mentioned knock the clutch side indicator housing but only full pull and I'm sure with 2 min and a dremal I could fix it.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181015_161233_1547104683294.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	12200  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
I bought these as I hated the position of the factory levers: CNC Aluminum Motorcycle Brake Clutch Lever Adjustable Extendable Levers FOR BMW G310R G310 R G 310 R G 310R 2017 2018
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/1WWnKBq

They fitted and work fantasticly, they do as you mentioned knock the clutch side indicator housing but only full pull and I'm sure with 2 min and a dremal I could fix it.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
Your link only take us to Aliexpress... can you start in gear with lever in?

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 PM

what is the matter with gs clutch lever? all the clutch levers I changed in my bikes fitted without any issue. why in this one, modifications are required?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
what is the matter with gs clutch lever? all the clutch levers I changed in my bikes fitted without any issue. why in this one, modifications are required?
Maybe the switch block is bigger than normal on the G310"s all the aftermarket levers with the cam to adjust the lever throw appear to hit the switch block before full movement is reached and the micro switch is pressed in to close the circuit. I was looking for some non adjustable replacement levers but couldn't find any. The OEM has a huge radius to clear the switch block.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clutch.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	12214  

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in space View Post
Maybe the switch block is bigger than normal on the G310"s all the aftermarket levers with the cam to adjust the lever throw appear to hit the switch block before full movement is reached and the micro switch is pressed in to close the circuit. I was looking for some non adjustable replacement levers but couldn't find any. The OEM has a huge radius to clear the switch block.
Chinese are good in making excellent replicas of levers, why they cannot replicate this one, with the same radius? Since I changed the master cylinder, i am thinking of changing the clutch side too, so that levers will match. The thing is that BMW has different clutch switch, so I am not sure how to fit it to the one with two pins. How many wires are there that go to the brake switch, 2 or 3?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in space View Post

Your link only take us to Aliexpress... can you start in gear with lever in?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32895458209.html

Let's try that one...
lost in space likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
I ordered these two and see how they fit in a few days:

https://www.amazon.com/Extendable-Fo...+clutch+levers

https://www.amazon.com/Yanghua-G310G...+clutch+levers

in the first one someone gave 5 star rating so I assume they fitted well.

Last edited by Kris; 01-13-2019 at 07:26 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Here's an installation video and he deals with the problem of the clutch not hitting the switch in 3:00. This seems to be a GS thing, as I installed the CNC in the R and no further adjustments were necessary

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Fleury View Post
Here's an installation video and he deals with the problem of the clutch not hitting the switch in 3:00. This seems to be a GS thing, as I installed the CNC in the R and no further adjustments were necessary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuGjoa1BJFA
thank you for posting the video. i usually have the clutch lever on the highest setting, because otherwise, it is difficult to get to the neutral, the clutch has to open fully. as to the master cylinder, I don't like this design, and some people have similar problems here in India, since Bybre is supplying many of the bikes here. as I changed MC to smaller, I have no Nissin MC which being made in Japan is more reliable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page