Rally Raid full Conversion - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Rally Raid full Conversion

I looked at that complete conversion like in that video -

And I was wondering, what is the point? If you want an off-road bike, get crf 250L which would be much superior for such task and is virtually unbreakable. Why to spend so much money? You can just not-modify the gs and get one crf at the same cost!

I see the gs as a bike for road and bad roads, not to trash in really bad terrain. Also I like alloy wheels with tubeless tires. I had too many punctures in my life; it is a real bummer. well they offer now spoked tubeless wheels as well, if you want to spend a fortune. Still, they offer very nice products. I ordered their level 1 rear shock which looks very promising. it is not that gs needs such shock, but it is a bit too much on the soft side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:14 AM

A nice bike, but a seat hight of 875 mm!?

I'm happy to mount the hight of 825 mm without a crane or a, how it is called in the Rhineland here in Germany,
"Schabellchen"

(This is a small step stool, the german name comes from the times in 19th century, when Cologne and Rhineland was occupied by the french army, maybe the french soldiers called such a step stool an escabelle. The meaning of "Fissematentchen" in german slang can be explained later)

G 310 GS
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldi View Post
A nice bike, but a seat hight of 875 mm!?

I'm happy to mount the hight of 825 mm without a crane or a, how it is called in the Rhineland here in Germany,
"Schabellchen"

(This is a small step stool, the german name comes from the times in 19th century, when Cologne and Rhineland was occupied by the french army, maybe the french soldiers called such a step stool an escabelle. The meaning of "Fissematentchen" in german slang can be explained later)
yes, i am on tip toes on that one, but it is very easy to control. honda was very clever in designing that bike. to access the air filter, or other stuff, you do not need to take out 100 bolts. and unless you fall really hard, there are no scratches on the fearing. as I wrote, it is unbreakable. still, gs is much more comfortable. but my crf though 250cc is stronger than gs. i am really looking forward for some aftermarket companies coming with some fuel controller. 313cc bike should have much more power than it has now!
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Yes,
here is a link to the german website of Svenja (formerly Sven), who is now driving a Honda CRF 250 Rally on her voyages round Europe.
Bur she is not such a small body size...
If you can read german, she makes interesting travels!
https://www.svendura.de/2018island01.php
angiedave likes this.

G 310 GS

Last edited by Toldi; 01-15-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes,
here is a link to the german website of Svenja (formerly Sven), who is now driving a Honda CRF 250 Rally on her voyages round Europe.
Bur she is not such a small body size...
If you can read german, she makes interesting travels!
https://www.svendura.de/2018island01.php
you know that Rally is much taller than 250L?

to be honest, after serious accident with 250L, I realised that i am too old for that stuff, and converted the bike to 250M, by fitting smaller 17" wheels. I sealed the spokes with goop and run it tubeless.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Oh, yes, I see, 895 mm seat hight.
Nearer to heaven.
We small ones would need stilts.
Or a camelopard, running besides
http://cycle-ergo.com/

G 310 GS

Last edited by Toldi; 01-15-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, yes, I see, 895 mm seat hight.
Nearer to heaven.
We small ones would need stilts.
Or a camelopard, running besides
Motorcycle Ergonomics
my point was not the seat hight, but the fact that converting gs into dirt bike just does not make sense, if you can get for the price of conversion a new proper dirt bike. and crf250L can be also lowered to suit one's needs if this is required.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM

That's true.
Nearly 10.000 Euro with the purchase price.
To much for this little bike

Befor buying the BMW I tried the Kawasaki Versys x 300, a nice bike with spoke Wheels, nearly 40 hp 2 cylinders and in Germany the same price.
But I took the BMW, motor has not so high speed and the seat is much more comfortable.

G 310 GS

Last edited by Toldi; 01-15-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's true.
Nearly 10.000 Euro with the purchase price.
To much for this little bike

Befor buying the BMW I tried the Kawasaki Versys x 300, a nice bike with spoke Wheels, nearly 40 hp 2 cylinders and in Germany the same price.
But I took the BMW, motor has not so high speed and the seat is much more comfortable.
versys 300 is an interesting option. for sure more reliable. but here it is much more expensive than gs. also I like the charm of single cylinder.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
IMO: The GS is a dual purpose bike with good but not great handling on and off road. The bike is fine for the average rider on both surfaces. Only when start to really push the bike in the twisties, add a fair bit of luggage or a pillion or go fast through rough off road or object will you notice the suspension lacking where you need it, i.e. proper adjustment and progressive damping. It does not take much to bottom the suspension out off road or try to put the side stand out with a pillion on the back The Rally Raid conversion improves the bikes suspension and wheel strength considerably but no point in spending the money if that is not how you intend to use the bike. Upgrading the suspension on a dual purpose motorcycle is quite common and also done on motorcycles double and triple the price of the G310GS - I personally feel better about spending that money on top of the G310's lower price tag. Like the CRF250, there are loads of off road focus bikes that would out perform the G310GS off road, but the GS is a dual purpose motorcycle so you should compare it with motorcycles lie the Himalayan. I did a 1000km trip on my 310 last weekend, I would not want to do the on a CRF250 if I had a choice in the matter.

On a side note, the Rally Raid suspension comes in lower than OEM, same and higher than OEM options. Keep in mind, reduction in seat height = reduction in ground clearance.
JMo likes this.

2017 Black G310GS
2011 CBR250R
2007 BMW F800ST
2006 Kawasaki ER6F
2006 Bajaj CT100(cheap training bike)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page