Where and How to connect the ACC - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Where and How to connect the ACC

Hello

I recently bought a heated grip which requires connect the positive and negative of the battery (that is something I know). Another bare copper leads, I have to connect to the ACC. I am wondering where and how to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
R or GS?

on the R there is a single acc power plug behind the headlight, on the GS, there are two plugs. Check out some of the other posts in this forum for power adapter or usb adapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

That was a bare copper wire, I think it would not be a good idea to connect to that socket. I think the maker's idea was to let me connect the the ACC under the seat. you know, the tradition way
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
That was a bare copper wire, I think it would not be a good idea to connect to that socket. I think the maker's idea was to let me connect the the ACC under the seat. you know, the tradition way
Don't connect directly to the battery, too much could go wrong. Just connect to + and - of the acc plug, the maker of the hand warmers should be able to let you know how to do that, this way you'll be protected by a fuse as well, and the hand warmers will not accidentally drain your battery if something goes wrong.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I cannot find the instruction of + and - of the acc plug. I think the instruction is telling to use ring terminal to connect + and - or battery, another wire I need to connect to the relay, one of my friend just gave me picture shot of what he did on his bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	12260  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:05 AM

I've installed my heated grips cutting the wires just before they reach the AUX socket behind the headlight.
That's before I found the existence of proper connectors to do a cleaner job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183383408094
I've then used these for a USB charger and it works fine.

Hooking directly to the battery as the generic instructions coming with the heatgrips are probably saying will work as well, it's the "universal way" to do it. That's good enough on older bikes without AUX ports on them, but on the G310, I think it just make sense to use any of the 2 ports already there for that purpose: fuse protected and no battery drain when bike not running, as Porth already mentionned.

'18 G310R
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

I am not talking about the accessories with only two (+ and -) terminals, like oxford heated grips. I am talking about the devices like this Denali D2 unit which includes +, - and another trigger wire you can connect to another source which is consist with ignition (I dont think this third wire is taking a lot current, it functions like a logic to automatic shut off your device when you turn off the ignition). But I actually looking for this connector since a long time ago, because I have a ring terminals to SAE, SAE to USB wire. I can now convert the ring terminals to leads and connect to the port from your ebay link with no battery drain concern anymore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.png
Views:	55
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	12262   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	49
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	12264  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:41 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lost in space
Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
I've installed my heated grips cutting the wires just before they reach the AUX socket behind the headlight.
That's before I found the existence of proper connectors to do a cleaner job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183383408094
I've then used these for a USB charger and it works fine.

Hooking directly to the battery as the generic instructions coming with the heatgrips are probably saying will work as well, it's the "universal way" to do it. That's good enough on older bikes without AUX ports on them, but on the G310, I think it just make sense to use any of the 2 ports already there for that purpose: fuse protected and no battery drain when bike not running, as Porth already mentioned.
These are the photos are useful for assembly, I couldn't find my crimping pliers , so I used long nose pliers to do my best, then soldered them
I did buy the ones from the link above, they arrived quick (Japan) and are just like the photos, so should fit... might get round to that this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Can bus 4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	12266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Can bus 3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	12268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Can bus 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	12270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Can bus 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	12272  

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't get lost, if you don't care where you are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lost in space
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I am not talking about the accessories with only two (+ and -) terminals, like oxford heated grips. I am talking about the devices like this Denali D2 unit which includes +, - and another trigger wire you can connect to another source which is consist with ignition (I dont think this third wire is taking a lot current, it functions like a logic to automatic shut off your device when you turn off the ignition). But I actually looking for this connector since a long time ago, because I have a ring terminals to SAE, SAE to USB wire. I can now convert the ring terminals to leads and connect to the port from your ebay link with no battery drain concern anymore.
I had similar to what is in your photos, and they doubled as a battery tender by disconnecting at that male/female plug and connecting the battery tender.

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

Can't get lost, if you don't care where you are

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page