Head light fix - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Head light fix

I decided to give my bike the the first wash and do a bit of tinkering. First thing the awful headlight shake. I watched the YouTube about the Indian guy who did the fix and sort of followed that. However this is what i learnt.

First take off the teo screws on the sides of the head lamp. Then find a way to pry the light off. It's a really tight fit and the metal clamps that hold the head lamp get snagged on the housing. Find where is snagging and use a thin screwdriver to open a way through. The headlight does come out that gap (and back in).

The attachment that you took the lamp off is the problem. It's held on rubber bushes. Take the rubber bushes off and replace with metal. Put two on the inside and one on the outside to maintain the original light position and to make it firm.

Fit the light and adjust level

Last edited by JPKenya; 02-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKenya View Post
I decided to give my bike the the first wash and do a bit of tinkering. First thing the awful headlight shake. I watched the YouTube about the Indian guy who did the fix and sort of followed that. However this is what i learnt.

First take off the teo screws on the sides of the head lamp. Then find a way to pry the light off. It's a really tight fit and the metal clamps that hold the head lamp get snagged on the housing. Find where is snagging and use a thin screwdriver to open a way through. The headlight does come out that gap (and back in).

The attachment that you took the lamp off is the problem. It's held on rubber bushes. Take the rubber bushes off and replace with metal. Put two on the inside and one on the outside to maintain the original light position and to make it firm.

Fit the light and adjust level
I don't particularly mind the shaking. there is a chance that taking these rubber bushes out would create too much stress on the headlight housing. I made the full LED conversion, so it probably does not matter. i am just too lazy to take these rubbers out
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I don't particularly mind the shaking. there is a chance that taking these rubber bushes out would create too much stress on the headlight housing. I made the full LED conversion, so it probably does not matter. i am just too lazy to take these rubbers out
Did you ride at night on a rough surface?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKenya View Post
Did you ride at night on a rough surface?
no i don't think I did my my lights are LED and I have powerful aux lights. the question is if it is safe for the light assembly to remove these rubbers. it probably is, considering than no one else is using them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:22 PM

My fix was much simpler. I have just put a 1cm foam tape under the headlight. It does not completly remove the problem but shaking is highly reduced
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci View Post
My fix was much simpler. I have just put a 1cm foam tape under the headlight. It does not completly remove the problem but shaking is highly reduced
a very good idea. need to try it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Garage
I personally like the shaking. Here in California lane splitting is legal so the shake helps (bothers) the other drivers see me coming.
WoodWorks and Cees Klumper like this.

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtixa View Post
I personally like the shaking. Here in California lane splitting is legal so the shake helps (bothers) the other drivers see me coming.
Bit off the topic, what are the lane splitting rules there? Seems quite dangerous to be lane splitting at speed, here in Australia we have a maximum lane filtering speed of 30km/h (19mph), which I think is safe and works well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I lane split around LA all the time. I heard it's not allowed in the city but I do it anyway, practically no risk since car traffic is stationary most of the time. Never been pulled over for that and cops actually make room for me if they see me coming in their mirrors (many people do). I am aware of two basic rules (guidelines is what I understand them to be actually, rather than clear rules). First, don't lane split when traffic is moving at some reasonable speed and second don't go too much faster than the cars are going. Many bikers ignore those two rules around LA, especially on the freeways, and that is dangerous.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
Bit off the topic, what are the lane splitting rules there? Seems quite dangerous to be lane splitting at speed, here in Australia we have a maximum lane filtering speed of 30km/h (19mph), which I think is safe and works well.
Cees explained pretty well. I believe the speed limit for lane splitting is 30 mph but riders still split if traffic is moving faster, specially on the freeways. Most drivers do give space for us and even the bike cops split lanes on the freeway at 70+ mph.

I personally only do it on the freeway if the traffic is moving slower than 60 mph and if it's safe to do. In side streets, as Cees mentioned, traffic is usually stopped or moving pretty slow. :P

Greg

- Black G310GS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page