bmw engine oil - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

bmw engine oil

I had service today, and I was forced by the service man to fill my engine with their oil. Or else I lose warranty (oh god). I don't know what kind of crap they forced me to put in my engine, as no description on the bottle is written. first of all, I do not want to use mineral oil, as i am storing now my bike for 6 moths, and mineral oil deteriorates in 3 months even if you do not use it. i hate when the bike companies force people to use 'their oil' because they make money by being affiliated with one of the oil brands. but when nothing is written on the bottle, not even who made it, this pisses me off.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Oil Info

BMW branded motor oil is going to be a high quality product. All current BMW motor oils, to my knowledge are being made by the Shell Oil company, utilizing their new production technology. All current Shell motorcycle oils are manufactured from natural gas, not crude oil, which results in a much cleaner and higher quality product. BMW Advantec 15W-50, recommended for the G310 bikes is actually a semi-synthetic oil. Other BMW oils are full synthetic. I do not know why BMW choose to utilize full synthetic oil in some models and semi-synthetic in the G310. I plan to use the Shell branded full synthetic Advance Motorcycle Oil, 15W-50 in my G310R. This oil can be purchased at any Advance Auto Parts Store for around $12.00 per container. Any of these oils, BMW branded or not, produced by Shell should be as good or better than anything available on the market. Check out Shells website for their line of motorcycle oils and have fun on your G310!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 PM

It must be a market specific local requirement. For us, as long as the oil meets manufacturer specifications there is no compulsion to only use their stuff. If I remember correctly, my local dealer uses Motul, bike is still under warranty. No problem.

Same thing with Jeep in NZ. I don't have to use their branded oil as long as it meets the requirements.

2018 G310GS - white
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
BMW branded motor oil is going to be a high quality product. All current BMW motor oils, to my knowledge are being made by the Shell Oil company, utilizing their new production technology. All current Shell motorcycle oils are manufactured from natural gas, not crude oil, which results in a much cleaner and higher quality product. BMW Advantec 15W-50, recommended for the G310 bikes is actually a semi-synthetic oil. Other BMW oils are full synthetic. I do not know why BMW choose to utilize full synthetic oil in some models and semi-synthetic in the G310. I plan to use the Shell branded full synthetic Advance Motorcycle Oil, 15W-50 in my G310R. This oil can be purchased at any Advance Auto Parts Store for around $12.00 per container. Any of these oils, BMW branded or not, produced by Shell should be as good or better than anything available on the market. Check out Shells website for their line of motorcycle oils and have fun on your G310!
thanks. I assume that you refer to the Shell Advanced Ultra oil, right? good to know this. never heard of GTL engine oil. do you think it is better than ester based synthetic? unfortunately, i doubt that the dealer has this oil, and they will not approve any oil without bmw name on it at the service oil change. I usually use Motul 7100 synthetic or Mobil 1. do you think that bmw semi-synthetic will deteriorate during 6 months storage?

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:00 AM

Yes, I referred to the Shell Advanced Ultra full-synthetic. I am not a lubrication engineer, just a biker that has learned from past experience that there are real advantages to full-synthetic motor oil usage. I know of no real world tests conducted comparing GTL to ester based oils. I used Mobil 1 for years with outstanding service but to my knowledge Mobil does not produce a 15w-50 full-synthetic motorcycle oil. I would have no issues with utilizing BMW semi-synthetic for a six month storage period and this is the oil that is currently in my machine. Consider checking with BMW corporate about your dealer pressuring you to use only BMW branded products. The owners manual states to use SAE 15W-50, API SJ/JASO MA2 and recommends the BMW branded product be used. The manual only recommends, it does not require the use of BMW oils. As long as your oil selection is of the appropriate grade and specification documented in your owners manual, there should be no issues.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes, I referred to the Shell Advanced Ultra full-synthetic. I am not a lubrication engineer, just a biker that has learned from past experience that there are real advantages to full-synthetic motor oil usage. I know of no real world tests conducted comparing GTL to ester based oils. I used Mobil 1 for years with outstanding service but to my knowledge Mobil does not produce a 15w-50 full-synthetic motorcycle oil. I would have no issues with utilizing BMW semi-synthetic for a six month storage period and this is the oil that is currently in my machine. Consider checking with BMW corporate about your dealer pressuring you to use only BMW branded products. The owners manual states to use SAE 15W-50, API SJ/JASO MA2 and recommends the BMW branded product be used. The manual only recommends, it does not require the use of BMW oils. As long as your oil selection is of the appropriate grade and specification documented in your owners manual, there should be no issues.
yes, but these dealers in India are pretty stupid. of course, they have no way to check what oil I put in my engine, but still... different colour, etc... Anyway, for winter time 15w50w is too high viscosity. it is good for hot weather. engines like this like 10w40, or even 10w30 (what is used in honda crf 250)l. I am going now to Thailand where I have 3 bikes, and there nobody cares what oil I put in my engine.

the GTL oil seems to be a very interesting option, but not enough tests have been done to prove its superiority. we live in the age of marketing, and you never know what is true...

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon1 View Post
Now 15-50W BMW oil new batch is fully synthetic confirmed by BMW sg dealer.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrikant View Post
Now 15-50W BMW oil new batch is fully synthetic confirmed by BMW sg dealer.
I wonder if it applies to India

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:27 AM

[QUOTE=csrikant;98160]Now 15-50W BMW oil new batch is fully synthetic confirmed by BMW sg dealer

here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	13274  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:13 AM

[quote=csrikant;98878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrikant View Post
Now 15-50W BMW oil new batch is fully synthetic confirmed by BMW sg dealer

here is the pic
Just to set the record straight.
This is Shell Advance Ultra Oil, it has been around for a while.
I am not saying it is wrong to use it but I just want to point it is not a "new batch of BMW oil" whatsoever.
BMW's versions of Shell oils (Advantec) still exist as is and are not being replaced by anything else.
G0MYW likes this.

'18 G310R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page