Rattle noise - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By driverkelly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Rattle noise

Hey everyone, I am after advice on my G310GS, I notice a rattle type noise at times that appears to emanate from the lower section of the bike. Bear in mind that I suffer from industrial deafness, so it is hard for me to really define just where it is coming from. Anyone with information would be greatly appreciated. Regards Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Any particular speed or rev range?

Has it only just started or has it been going since dot?

There are a couple of items that could potentially rattle under the seat, e.g. cables not securely fastened.

I know it can be hard to pinpoint, I had a rattling noise that turned out to be the other keys on the keyring rattling against the upper fork clamp, I initially thought it was a loose cable behind the dash.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Itís been there for a while if I had to pinpoint it I would say itís within the chain mechanism but with my hearing itís hard to put my finger on it. I can defiantly say within the lower reaches of the bike.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:10 AM

Garage
I get a rattle from underneath my bike when riding over rough ground. I think it emanates from the side stand as it can still move in the up position. I was thinking of spring tying it to verify if it stops.

2018 GS310
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
Try to put the bike on the side stand and rev up the bike.
At some moment, the same moment hopefully when you are riding, you might hear the rattle.
Because you are not riding, your helm and wind will not interfere, and hopefully you can hear weíre the rattle comes from.
Good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I have sat with the bike in neutral and revved it with no discernable, untoward noise. I took the chain guard off and am wondering about the chain guide along the swinging arm and whether it is the chain flopping up and down on that. (The chain tension is set right.) Iíll wait until all the locals have gone to work and take it for a quick spin up my street without my helmet on and see if that is it otherwise it will be another possibility eliminated.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:00 PM

If you have a paddock stand lift the rear wheel -engine off-spin it and listen. Somebody on here suggested putting a rod through the axle and putting the rod on a jack stand to get the wheel off the ground. Also do he 9-3 and 12-6 shake on the rear wheel to feel for bad bearing. If no luck at locating rattle. the machine is under warranty.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Herein lies the problem, after standing the bike up and going over everything one piece at a time with no success out of frustration I grabbed a beer and sat on my stool glaring at the bike. I went back over everything and then the light came on. I not long ago I had the recall on the side stand, and it was not long after that that the rattle started. I finished my beer and fiddled with the stand it all seemed reasonably tight, so I grabbed a self-adhesive rubber stopper and stuck it on where the leg met the body of the stand. I road down the road hitting as many bumps as I could and no rattle.
All I have to do now is to work out a permanent fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778..jpg
Views:	64
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	12498  
Tmex51 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 PM
PCV

Anyone else get a rattle on slowing down - sounds like the primary drive gears might if not under load? The demo bike did it and now mine does since the running in check.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page