Choosing my first bike. Candidates : Baby GS, CRF250L, Freeride 250F...? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I got bitten by the Enduro trailing bug this winter when a friend offered to go to a rental, take some bigger KTMs and have a blast in the local woods. That was both : exciting and extremely exhausting.
Exciting - plowing through the snow on these machines with 2 wheels is a feeling like no other 🙂 (Pic bellow)

Exhausting - traditional KTM seating height was way too high for me, I am 178cm(~5'10), plus riding in snow where you can't see the terrain under the tires coupled with the fact that I am a complete novice could be 'a bit' stressful 🙂

But ever since that trip - I can't think of anything else. So I've decided to give it a go this summer. Looking for my I'st bike. Since I'm here - obviously baby GS is on my shortlist. On top of it to be honest.

But I must admit - I am still on the fence, trying to decide between :
- Baby GS
- Honda CRF250L
- KTM Freeride 250F

They all seem nice, capable when thrown some off-road challenges. At least from reviews.

Off-road is something I am after ( trails in the woods and meadows, small puddles of water, passing through and having fun in some deserted gravel quarries - coupled with some occasional asphalt for getting to and back from off road ..).

Would greatly appreciate if you could pitch in with your insights, especially if you have had the chance to have direct experience with some of these on my short list.

Greetings from warming up Lithuania.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enduro_Lithuania_Tours_2019-02-10_00071_1551826614047.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	12496  
angiedave, Ligkonakos and gregtixa like this.

Last edited by Boomerius; 03-05-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Garage
I personally feel that if off-road is the main goal the CRF250L is the best option. Super capable for off-road and decent on the street.

The GS is way more comfortable on-road and less capable off-road, but you could upgrade tires, wheels and suspension to create the ultimate machine. hahahaha
W8NONU likes this.

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
X2 on the Honda. More purpose-built.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtixa View Post
The GS is way more comfortable on-road and less capable off-road, but you could upgrade tires, wheels and suspension to create the ultimate machine. hahahaha
That's exactly my thinking. Since it's my I'st year - I plan is to ride the OEM for the first season see what I would love upgraded, and then upgrade with RR or other kits (if I still see myself on the bike after the season passes).
gregtixa likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 AM

g310gs is the best. if you cannot appreciate, you need to take another bike
Boomerius likes this.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
g310gs is the best. if you cannot appreciate, you need to take another bike
Depends what do you want the bike for. I do think the GS is the best for all around. I personally won't do heavy off-road and my purpose is light travel, some dirt roads exploration and commute so the GS is the best option for me.

If I wanted an off-road bike with some street capability I think the Honda is best.
mtwashington and Boomerius like this.

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:01 PM

The KTM is the most dirt capable but not street legal. The Honda is more dirt capable than the BMW but the BMW is better on the road. Based on your criteria choose the Honda.
Boomerius likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 PM

I do have crf250L. and it is a great bike, but after serious accident, I decided I am too old for crazy off-roading, so I converted it to supermoto, so now it rides great on regular roads. still, gs is much better looking, much more comfortable; it ergonomics are perfect as long as you add some handlebar risers.

i have 6 bikes, but the small gs is my favourite. i am still waiting for some aftermarket fuel enrichers to make it a bit stronger. my crf250 is stronger than gs with all the modifications I have done on it. I mean, I do not need much more power or else why to buy 310cc bike? but still, the bike is not using its full potential due to emissions control restrictions.
Boomerius likes this.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 PM

I’ve owned FREERIDE, CRF250L , G310R.
I would choose the FREERIDE for raw performance but it won’t be good on streets. The GS and CRF don’t have enough power. If you like off-road more, you will outgrow these very fast!
Boomerius likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I do have crf250L. and it is a great bike, but after serious accident, I decided I am too old for crazy off-roading, so I converted it to supermoto, so now it rides great on regular roads. still, gs is much better looking, much more comfortable; it ergonomics are perfect as long as you add some handlebar risers.

i have 6 bikes, but the small gs is my favourite. i am still waiting for some aftermarket fuel enrichers to make it a bit stronger. my crf250 is stronger than gs with all the modifications I have done on it. I mean, I do not need much more power or else why to buy 310cc bike? but still, the bike is not using its full potential due to emissions control restrictions.

Hi Kris, what brands of fuel enrichers have you used for your other bikes?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page