Nuts and bolts - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Nuts and bolts

I have just spent a large portion of the day stripping the plastic from the 310GS to install a set of USB sockets and a power socket. All went well if not slowly while removing the plastic. I inserted the sockets and tested that they were operating as they should as this was all successful, I began to reassemble the bike. I was almost fully back together when I realized I had to many bolts for the remaining two small pieces. So back to the drawing board as the saying goes. All was dismantled again, and I counted all the places where the bolts go, and I had the right amount. So, I began to reassemble it again. Now its all back together and I have found another two bolts spare. Iíve packed up out of frustration and will come at it fresh tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I always have a couple of pieces of white paper, sketch out a rough outline of the parts to be removed and use a bit of double sided tape to put the removed bolts into the corresponding spots on the paper.
G0MYW and driverkelly like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 AM

I have in the past made this mistake and I now use my mobile phone to take photos as I take something apart. Five minutes taking photos at each stage saves hours of head scratching later on!! I always start the bike after I have finished so if there a problem it still fresh in your mind what you have just done.
driverkelly likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 AM

For my earlyer Beemers I've used the fiches from Max BMW Motorcycles, and still had bolts and nuts left. Ones I had almost half of a motorcycle left, next time I did the disassembly-assembly operation, I was left with two motorcycles

With this little new BabyGS, I will probably have three, 'cus there's so many screws, nuts and bolts

Here's a 5 second sexually abbusive criminal story for you: A nut screws washers, and bolts. The End!
(If you don't get it, never mind! You need a certaine kind of Brittish humor to understand it. I'm a Finn, by the way )
driverkelly and W8NONU like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a beginner on motorcycles, been trying to learn to drive since 1981. So far crashed only 14 bikes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 PM

Garage
I cant remember what I had for breakfast. Pro-tip on taking pictures or video. I find myself doing it all of the time now. Forgetting and taking pictures.

DriverKelly if you tackle this again and decide to takes pics/video would love for you to share. USB/power socket is on my to do list and I'm afraid of removing the plastics based on what I have read. Lessons learnt from other canary's might make life a litter easy for others in the future.
Thanks
driverkelly likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 PM

Sorry to heat about that. Due to traumatic experiences I also started taking pictures of what and where I'm disassembling and that's working better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image from iOS (6).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	12524  
driverkelly likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey mate, (Gtown.) just about to go to the shed and hopefully sort it out. (Slowly) I will do as you ask but canít guarantee where the last two bolts go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to long way from home
Everyone... this is not a daunting task, removing the plastics is easy, just note / remember where and the length, photos, a sketch a second person watching using a video..
driverkelly likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

It definitely is not a daunting task and under most circumstances itís all about being patient. There are some parts on this job that if you are not thorough while checking what you do it is easy to miss some of the locations for the bolts especially up under the front mud guard where it is difficult to see if you are working on your own like most of us do. As we get older laying on the ground holding some sort of light with glasses that flop around when you donít want them to, add to that the body that creeks and groans this all addís a lot more colour to the task.
I have found where my extra bolts should have been put and so now it is complete. I can ride it without worrying something might fall off.
Capolee80 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 AM
P.7

I add the BMW POWER ACCESSORY SOCKET, $45 didn’t have to remove any of the plastics, you just stick your hand into the right side of the bike and you will feel the plug wire tied to a set of wrapped wires. Cut the wire tie and the plug hangs down. Take the cap off, install the adapter in the frame hole apply the nut to tighten it and plug the two together. Took about 20 minutes because I was being extra careful. Works great, turns off with the key. Bought the plug in adapter to fast charge 2 USB devices fast for $26 from the dealer. Money well spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2378680F-C86F-43C7-AC61-650FC82D13ED_1553140485978.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	12564  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page